Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[kde-testing] and [kde-crazy] KDE4 overlays thread (part 4)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shining Arcanine wrote:
devsk wrote:
Looks like kde-4.5.1 is making its way into portage slowly today. YAY! I hate overlays!

The handbook use flag appears to have been removed. Switching back to the portage tree requires that all of the packages be recompiled. :/
How much RAM do you have?

I highly suggest the use of ccache through tmpfs backed by a shutdown/startup script. Saves a tonne of time!
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like its still masked in the portage.
Boccaccio
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does kile-9999 require acroread since yesterday? It it just because my installed okular is currently masked and therefore not recognized or is there something more serious going on?
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boccaccio wrote:
Why does kile-9999 require acroread since yesterday? It it just because my installed okular is currently masked and therefore not recognized or is there something more serious going on?

It is because of the latter. Kile requires one of acroread or okular to be installed.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
Shining Arcanine wrote:
devsk wrote:
Looks like kde-4.5.1 is making its way into portage slowly today. YAY! I hate overlays!

The handbook use flag appears to have been removed. Switching back to the portage tree requires that all of the packages be recompiled. :/
How much RAM do you have?

I highly suggest the use of ccache through tmpfs backed by a shutdown/startup script. Saves a tonne of time!

I have 8GB of RAM and I already have a tmpfs setup with ccache, although it does not matter because I ran the recompilation over night.

devsk wrote:
Seems like its still masked in the portage.

Here is my /etc/portage/package.unmask file:

http://paste.pocoo.org/show/259134/
Saundersx
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to know peoples experiences with this, should I install this now or wait for 4.5.2+ ? I read about the huge number of bugfixes but it seems people still have issues.
cruzki123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saundersx wrote:
Just want to know peoples experiences with this, should I install this now or wait for 4.5.2+ ? I read about the huge number of bugfixes but it seems people still have issues.

I can't use composite (intel graphics) and the pim suite es in beta state (and behave like a beta :P). For the rest it's solid stable and the new animations have mede the desktop more "organic".
rahulthewall
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cruzki123 wrote:
Saundersx wrote:

I can't use composite (intel graphics) and the pim suite es in beta state (and behave like a beta :P). For the rest it's solid stable and the new animations have mede the desktop more "organic".

If you want to use compositing on Intel you have to use Xrender as the backend (which means only a fraction of the effects will work) - OpenGL is messed up. By the way, what do you mean by "organic".
Dorsai!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is happening at the moment? Is it coming to ~arch or will it stay masked? Do I have to put the whole KDE SC into /etc/portage/package.unmask?
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I should post this here since it is from masked portage, not overlay - so apologies in advance. But you guys know this stuff so maybe there's a quick answer. Pykde4-4.5.1 fails on me but for different reason that mentioned previously in thread. I did try to re-emerge sip just in case but no effect.

thx, JD

[edit] oops - I see this is reported in the portage subforum. Nevermind... /jd [/edit]

Code:
[  2%] Built target compile_python_files
[  3%] Generating sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart0.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart1.cpp, sip/kdeui/s                                                  ipkdeuipart2.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart3.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart4.cpp, sip/kdeui/s                                                  ipkdeuipart5.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart6.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart7.cpp

sip: /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/pykde4-4.5.1/work/pykde4-4.5.1/python/pykde4/sip/kdecore                                                  /typedefs.sip:737: Mapped type has already been defined in another module
make[2]: *** [python/pykde4/sip/kdecore/sipkdecorepart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/pykde4/CMakeFiles/python_module_PyKDE4_kdecore.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
sip: /var/tmp/portage/kde-base/pykde4-4.5.1/work/pykde4-4.5.1/python/pykde4/sip/kdecore                                                  /typedefs.sip:737: Mapped type has already been defined in another module
make[2]: *** [python/pykde4/sip/dnssd/sipdnssdpart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/pykde4/CMakeFiles/python_module_PyKDE4_dnssd.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [python/pykde4/sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/pykde4/CMakeFiles/python_module_PyKDE4_kdeui.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
emake failed
 * ERROR: kde-base/pykde4-4.5.1 failed:
 *   Make failed!
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   56:  Called src_compile

Last edited by hunky on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ssteinberg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Resync, there is 4.5.1-r1 out there.
jcTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hunky wrote:
Not sure I should post this here since it is from masked portage, not overlay - so apologies in advance. But you guys know this stuff so maybe there's a quick answer. Pykde4-4.5.1 fails on me but for different reason that mentioned previously in thread. I did try to re-emerge sip just in case but no effect.

thx, JD

[edit] oops - I see this is reported in the portage subforum. Nevermind... /jd [/edit]

Code:
[  2%] Built target compile_python_files
[  3%] Generating sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart0.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart1.cpp, sip/kdeui/s                                                  ipkdeuipart2.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart3.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart4.cpp, sip/kdeui/s                                                  ipkdeuipart5.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart6.cpp, sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart7.cpp

make[2]: *** [python/pykde4/sip/kdecore/sipkdecorepart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/pykde4/CMakeFiles/python_module_PyKDE4_kdecore.dir/all] Error 2
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
make[2]: *** [python/pykde4/sip/dnssd/sipdnssdpart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/pykde4/CMakeFiles/python_module_PyKDE4_dnssd.dir/all] Error 2
make[2]: *** [python/pykde4/sip/kdeui/sipkdeuipart0.cpp] Error 1
make[1]: *** [python/pykde4/CMakeFiles/python_module_PyKDE4_kdeui.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2
emake failed
 * ERROR: kde-base/pykde4-4.5.1 failed:
 *   Make failed!
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   56:  Called src_compile

I got enough of this issue. Finally I put -python for kde-base/plasma-workspace. That allow me to wait until this problem is fully solved.
cruzki123
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rahulthewall wrote:

If you want to use compositing on Intel you have to use Xrender as the backend (which means only a fraction of the effects will work) - OpenGL is messed up. By the way, what do you mean by "organic".

I prefer to stay without composite :)

And with respect to the "organic" I mean "natural". The stuf in the computer don't simply appear or disapear, it moves like you ar really touching it, more or less. Its not so beatifull as in the mac os, but it nice.
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssteinberg: Thanks for info but it appears sync did not pick it up - so I suppose it is only on the overlay which I did not use, not on portage.

jcTux:
jcTux wrote:

I got enough of this issue. Finally I put -python for kde-base/plasma-workspace. That allow me to wait until this problem is fully solved.

Looks like my only option now short of going back to kde-4.4.x.

thanks for replies, JD

[edit] except something still wants to pull in pykde4-4.5.1 so I'm stuck until I figure it out. I guess another option is to go with the overlay - but maybe I would rather just downgrade back to kde-4.4.5 or whatever it was.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saundersx wrote:

If you use the nvidia binary driver, upgrade now. If you use something else, you could either wait until your graphics drivers improve, switch to a nvidia graphics card using the nvidia binary driver or try it anyway with the possibility of having to downgrade afterward.
wrc1944
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jcTux,
The pykde4 "/typedefs.sip:737: Mapped type has already been defined in another module" problem is easily fixable. They just need to correct the ebuild with the one line edit, and put the pykde4.patch file in the "files" directory.

Don't know any reason not to do so, so I'm thinking it just must be an oversight. You can do it yourself as described by Gh0str1d3r at bottom of P.35 in this thread.

BTW, I just did an install of the masked kde-4.5.1 now in portage, and it is essentially the same as in the overlay.
OpenRC Gentoo ~amd64 plasma, glibc-2.36-r7, gcc-13.2.1_p20230304
kernel-6.7.2 USE=experimental python3_11
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went ahead and enabled the overlay. When I did an emerge -avuDN @world after fixing up my sets, it reinstalled 4.5.1 from the overlay as well as some other items like soprano-9999 and k3b-9999.

It grabbed the pykde4-4.5.1-r1 from the overlay and built fine.

Should I mask items that went 9999 to a lesser unstable version or are these fine?

I lost my thumbnails of jpegs in the desktop folder and dolphin mouse hover. In the past I had to mess with mime-types but wondering if I missed something else?

Dolphin crashes here as well - Intel ~x86.

thanks, JD
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saundersx wrote:

I just downgraded back to 4.4.5 because KDE-4.5 is really a beta version right now. I like to play with recent versions, even if they are a bit buggy, but this KDE version significantly slowed down my daily work. If you are using your computer just for fun, I would say 'give it a try'. If it is your working machine, that better stay with 4.4.5.
jcTux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrc1944 wrote:
@jcTux,
The pykde4 "/typedefs.sip:737: Mapped type has already been defined in another module" problem is easily fixable. They just need to correct the ebuild with the one line edit, and put the pykde4.patch file in the "files" directory.

Don't know any reason not to do so, so I'm thinking it just must be an oversight. You can do it yourself as described by Gh0str1d3r at bottom of P.35 in this thread.

BTW, I just did an install of the masked kde-4.5.1 now in portage, and it is essentially the same as in the overlay.

Tanks you wrc1944, I'll try that.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
Saundersx wrote:

I just downgraded back to 4.4.5 because KDE-4.5 is really a beta version right now. I like to play with recent versions, even if they are a bit buggy, but this KDE version significantly slowed down my daily work. If you are using your computer just for fun, I would say 'give it a try'. If it is your working machine, that better stay with 4.4.5.

What are your system specifications? Specifically, what graphics hardware do you have and what graphics driver do you use?

Shining Arcanine wrote:
devsk wrote:

The handbook use flag is now back. Time to recompile again. :(
Gh0str1d3r
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now upgraded again after removing kde completely before and it seems to run quite well. Except for the fact that it fails to shut down / reboot (it simply dims the screen and nothing more).
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gh0str1d3r wrote:
I now upgraded again after removing kde completely before and it seems to run quite well. Except for the fact that it fails to shut down / reboot (it simply dims the screen and nothing more).

What hardware are you using?
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Geeks,

lately yesterday evening, kde-4.5.1 went into the regular prtage tree.

So i compiled it on my x86_64 machine over night at first.
This morning, before starting to drive to work, i noticed that 15 packaged could not compiled cause unsolved dependencies. But AFAIR that was only the meta-packages like kde-games and so on.

IcedTea was missing for fetching over night, but this morning it was available and compiled fine.

After migrating the new conf files, i gave it a short try, before traveling to work.

It seems to run fine for me, but i have to do some stress-tests when i'm back on my machine if the weekend comes anytime :wink:

Best reagrds,

Andy.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy Andy wrote:
lately yesterday evening, kde-4.5.1 went into the regular prtage tree.

KDE 4.5.1 has been in the portage tree for at least 4 days.
Randy Andy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange,

cause i synced my boxes and did -DuvaN world daily, and only my amd64 arch machine shows the long awaited kde 4.5 release yesterday.
My Netbook x86 doesn't show anything yesterday, maybe today.

Could this caused by the actuality of my gentoo-mirrors?

I'm using:
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.tiscali.nl/ http://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/mirrors/gentoo http://linux.rz.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/download/gentoo-mirror/"

Regards, Andy.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 37 of 38

Jump to: