New router == no Linux wireless
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: New router == no Linux wireless Reply with quote

This is truly odd to me. I was using some Hawking router, and never had issues with the laptop on Linux or WinXP... the Wii connected as well. However, I could not get my DS to connect and a friend was also having issues when he came over. I got a good deal on a Linksys WRT54G v1.1, so I bought it.

Now, the laptop connects fine in Windows. I have an older WUSB11 Linksys adapter on my desktop and it WILL NOT connect. The laptop will not connect when booted into Linux. The DS works, and the Wii, and the laptop in WIndows--however, nothing else.

I'm using WEP.

Anyone have any ideas what could be the problem, particularly with Linux? I'm not that concerned about the USB wireless adapter on the desktop, as I've NEVER had any luck with ANY USB wifi adapter.
tarpman
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular reason why you're using WEP as opposed to, say WPA-PSK? I had an issue back when I was first experimenting with wireless where, for some reason, I simply could not get a connection between my lappy and router with open (+MAC filter) or WEP, but WPA worked fine. Unfortunately the details are a bit hazy by now.

What's the wireless hardware involved (card in the lappy, make/model of usb stick)? What drivers are being used? What userspace utilities?
Crooksey
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware upgrade on the router?
bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware is at the latest version.

Using WEP because the DS doesn't like WPA (at least I don't think so).

Come to think of it, I was using WPA with the last router (after it was decided the DS couldn't connect to it either way).

THe USB adapter is a Linksys WUSB11, the laptop has a Broadcom (don't know model off the top of my head). Using ndiswrapper with the latest manufacturer drivers.
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u should have gotten a gl
Monkeh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenlunatic wrote:

There's not a huge (ok, so there is, but..) amount of difference between a GL and what he has.
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
zenlunatic wrote:

There's not a huge (ok, so there is, but..) amount of difference between a GL and what he has.

Well considering wireless networks seem to function by the whim of some other worldly force, it may make a difference.
bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The price was right, and I haven't heard results of using a DS with a GL... but the G works great.

I hate to be a jerk, but I'm not looking for "well you should have gotten X router", I was looking for helpful hints about what might be the problem here.

Thanks to those who suggested ideas. :-)
drizek
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/dev/random wrote:
Monkeh wrote:
zenlunatic wrote:

Well considering wireless networks seem to function by the whim of some other worldly force, it may make a difference.

++

Ive never been able to wrap my head around networking.

My DS works with my GL just fine.

Have you tried using an ubuntu live cd?
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember the weirdest of issues with setting up my router to use wpa-psk/aes, most of them were related to setting the encryption to AES which completely fucked my HTC Wizard. once i set it to wpa-psk/tkip, stuff "just worked" with the htc (still on windows mobile), my ibook (osx and linux, broadcom chip), the vdr box downstairs (running linux, using an rt2500 pcmcia reference board) and my girlfriend's laptop (running windows xp) -- not sure if that's the problem with your DS, but you could give it a go if you felt like it :D

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
/dev/random
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:
i remember the weirdest of issues with setting up my router to use wpa-psk/aes, most of them were related to setting the encryption to AES which completely fucked my HTC Wizard. once i set it to wpa-psk/tkip, stuff "just worked" with the htc (still on windows mobile), my ibook (osx and linux, broadcom chip), the vdr box downstairs (running linux, using an rt2500 pcmcia reference board) and my girlfriend's laptop (running windows xp) -- not sure if that's the problem with your DS, but you could give it a go if you felt like it :D

<Philip J. Fry>Right so...magic.</Philip J. Fry>
petrjanda
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt trust a Linksys product again. the reliability of their products is nowhere close to reliability of products of their parent company. Ive got an ADSL2+ router with wireless, and wireless has always been unusable as it keeps dropping out about 4-5 times a day.
There is, a not-born, a not-become, a not-made, a not-compounded. If that unborn, not-become, not-made, not-compounded were not, there would be no escape from this here that is born, become, made and compounded. - Gautama Siddharta
bilbravo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:

I'll check this out with the old router if I get some time.

DS, Wii, and laptop (in WinXP) all work with the Linksys WRT54G. Only Linux and this Linksys WUSB11 adapter have issue with the Linksys router (go figure, linksys usb adapter doesn't like the Linksys router).
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had fewer problems with my WRT54G after I replaced the linksys firmware with dd-wrt, more options/control now too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: