Borland C++ for linux
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shockwaver
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Borland C++ for linux Reply with quote

Hi guys..
I need a program for linux that works like Borland C++ builder... In other words it has to have the form editor allowing me to work with TClasses (like TForm, TCheckBox, etc...)... If it would also have .dfm and .bpr file compability would be great but it is not strictly required..
Kulfaangaren!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this link. I think you are out of luck.

// Fredrik
daj
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Borland C++ for linux Reply with quote

Shockwaver wrote:
Hi guys..
I need a program for linux that works like Borland C++ builder... In other words it has to have the form editor allowing me to work with TClasses (like TForm, TCheckBox, etc...)... If it would also have .dfm and .bpr file compability would be great but it is not strictly required..

If you're hoping to port a Windows Borland C++ project into linux without change then you're out of luck -- even Borland's own linux offering (the now-defunct Kylix product) used a different class library from BCB on Windows and couldn't import or convert Windows projects.

If you're just hoping to develop software on linus using a familiar interface then there's Lazarus which is across-platform Delphi look-alike. The IDE is fairly like that of Borland's C++ Builder, but the code is Pascal rather than C++.

There is a fairly current version in portage, but it's masked. I don't know how cleanly it builds on Gentoo.

If you'd be happy with something less Borland-like but based on C++ you might like to look at tools targeting Qt or wxWidgets. I have found DialogBlocks for wxWidgets quite usable (though only a limited demo version is free as in beer), and I hear good things about Code::Blocks and its wxSmith plug-in.

Both dialogblocks and Code::Blocks are in portage, though Code::Blocks is masked.
tuber
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, one of my favorite things about Turbo C++ was the ability to essentially get a man page for C++ classes and methods (not the same thing as a class browser). Do any of the current IDE's have this feature?
MaximeG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You may try "Kdevelop" or "Eclipse+CDT" ?

You may also want to try "QtDesigner" which is good for graphical interfaces design.

Regards,
Maxime
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: