vmware&WinXP
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wisdom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: vmware&WinXP Reply with quote

Is it anyone how got it working with a already installed windowsXP installation?
I have fixit so I can use grub to select OS but when I select winXP it just get black
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's generally not a good idea to use VMware on an operating system that is used to your system already. VMware emulates a different BIOS on a different motherboard with a different video card and so forth. It may work, it may not work... it would confuse the crap out of Windows 9x, but XP might have a fighting chance.

In any case, I wouldn't try it unless you have nothing to lose.
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on their website they have directions to set it up with two hardware profiles http://www.vmware.com/support/ws3/doc/disks_ws.html#999774. looks like ur ok with 98 but not xp becaue of some microsof junk.
wisdom
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got nothing to lose :D
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be careful when letting vmware access windows xp, it can cause you to have to reactivate among other things.
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
It's generally not a good idea to use VMware on an operating system that is used to your system already. VMware emulates a different BIOS on a different motherboard with a different video card and so forth. It may work, it may not work... it would confuse the crap out of Windows 9x, but XP might have a fighting chance.

You can do it with Win2K and I'm sure WinXP fine, the only thing you have to do really is make 2 profiles, one for your normal boot and another for the VMWare boot. Windows will seperate the two driver wise. When you boot in vmware (and select the vmware profile at boot when it gives you a choice after making the extra profile) and go in, you can install the vmware tools and it will not touch the "normal" profile used when booting natively into Windows.

I do it all the time... there isn't anything dangerous about it, you just have to know how to work around harddrive permissions properly, Windows profiles, and the hardware configuration.

One thing I did to allow a normal user the ability to access /dev/hda as rw is create a group called "vmware" and put the users who will be using vmware into it. Then, in the /etc/devfsd.conf, I put the lines:
Code:

REGISTER        ^hda$            PERMISSIONS root.vmware 660
REGISTER        ^hda1$           PERMISSIONS root.vmware 660

hda being the full disk, hda1 being my windows partition.
Of course, there are ACPI issues, so if you run into them check out:
http://www.vmware.com/support/gsx/doc/acpihal_w2k_gsx_win.html

I'm not sure if WinXP has the same issue as Win2000 in that respect, but considering the kernels are remarkably the same I wouldn't doubt it. (I only run XP in a vmware session)

HTH
arkane
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: vmware&WinXP Reply with quote

wisdom wrote:
Is it anyone how got it working with a already installed windowsXP installation?
I have fixit so I can use grub to select OS but when I select winXP it just get black

yeah it will just go black for a little bit... winxp has a wierd boot screen that vmware (in window mode) doesn't like very much.

Or there could be a problem with the grub configuration :)
My grub for Win2K is this:
title=Win2k
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

WinXP shouldn't be much different...

Autobot brought up a good point though, if your running XP under your normal hardware, and then going over to vmware, it will definately require you to reactivate your Windows. (different everything under the sun in vmware, from ram to HAL readings)

That is, unless you use one of the many "fixes" on the 'net to stop this silliness.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: