View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pdr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Xorg 1.5 32-bit vs 64-bit [Solved] Reply with quote

My workstation is 32-bit, my server is 64-bit. I upgraded the workstation to Xorg 1.5 whereas it was a new install for the server. Have re-emerged the xf86-input-evdev and xf86-input-keyboard drivers. Neither machine has any files in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/. And I have a Saitek Eclipse (not II) keyboard.

On the workstation my Home key is not recognized. From other posts it sounds like I can get this working with xev and xmodmap, but IT WORKS FINE on the server! Workstation complete xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "card"
        Driver          "radeon"
        Option          "DRI"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "monitor"
        Device          "card"
        DefaultDepth    24
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode            0666
EndSection

And the (working) server complete xorg.conf is:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier      "IGP"
        Driver          "radeonhd"
        Option          "DRI"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
        Mode            0666
EndSection

The server uses xorg-server-1.5.3-r5 and the workstation is the same. And this is moving the same physical keyboard from one machine to the other..

Last edited by pdr on Sat May 02, 2009 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be sure it's a hardware issue, you would have to, say, clone your workstation system onto your server so that they have the same bitness. Possible causes are (but not only) hardware (e.g. a bug in the controller) and software (a bug in the controller driver that only appears in the 32 bit version).

Also compare both /var/log/Xorg.0.log and check for any differences. Are you sure *all* files on both your systems are the same version? Since HAL manages devices, make sure it's the same version on both your server and workstation.
pdr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgh.
It would appear that if you have a .Xmodmap in your home directory it will get loaded even if your .xinitrc doesn't "xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap" any more. Moved .Xmodmap to XmodmapOld and stopped calling xmodmap <name of an empty file> in .xinitrc - used to try and get rid of problem - and Home works.

The strongest hint was that xev said my 110 keycode (Home) was translated into XF86AudioPause (which I had in there for mapping a key on my Ati X10 remote).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: