/usr/portage/distfiles question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ombra
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: /usr/portage/distfiles question Reply with quote

I run Gentoo at home and love it. Now I want to install it a work. I need to be able to dual boot. My box only has a 4 gig drive that is partitioned down the middle so I can dual boot between win98 and linux.

Has anyone tried putting the distfiles on a windows box and use samba to mount the share? Can I create a sym link and point to the samba mounted share?

Thanks.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't heard about anyone doing this, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work.

--kurt
therootshell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: using the distfiles Reply with quote

<hint>Hmmm... this sounds like a good topic for a FAQ or install doc...</hint>

Seriously, this should get a section in the install docs - how to setup the distfiles so one can install without an Internet connection. Rsyncing and emerging everything over my crappy 31.2k dialup was nightmarishly long! (Is nightmarishly even a word?) I found a post somewhere about grabbing the distfiles and [allowing] emerge to work without [requiring] a net connection, and for the most part it worked. Albeit, a samba share is a bit different than a FAT32 partition, but a file system is a file system and the basic approach was the same.

:idea: Perhaps I'll go find that post, add a section to the install doc, verify it works (by adding Gentoo to a friend's box - hey, share the love, right?), and send it to the install doc maintainer so others can benefit.

Last edited by therootshell on Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: using the distfiles Reply with quote

therootshell wrote:
I found a post somewhere about grabbing the distfiles and forcing emerge to work without a net connection

There is no "forcing" required -- simply put the proper source tarballs in /usr/portage/distfiles and emerge will use those before attempting to download them off the net.

--kurt

EDIT: fixed sloppy bbcoding.

Last edited by klieber on Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
therootshell
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the offensive wording - I hadn't ment it to be taken so literally like that. :oops:
I'll try to be a more careful in future posts. 8)

So basically just copy the distfiles from the net to any mountable filesystem (CD, Samba file share, whatever), mount that filesystem as /usr/portage/distfiles on the target machine, and emerge, right? So ombra could just mount his smbfs containing the distfiles to /usr/portage/distfiles and build. Would it matter if the filesystem was mounted readonly (ex: mounting a CD)?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therootshell wrote:
Sorry for the offensive wording - I hadn't ment it to be taken so literally like that. :oops:

I didn't think it was offensive -- just wanted to make sure you realized it isn't all that hard to do. :)

therootshell wrote:
So basically just copy the distfiles from the net to any mountable filesystem (CD, Samba file share, whatever), mount that filesystem as /usr/portage/distfiles on the target machine, and emerge, right? So ombra could just mount his smbfs containing the distfiles to /usr/portage/distfiles and build.

Yup -- in a nutshell, that's it.

therootshell wrote:
Would it matter if the filesystem was mounted readonly (ex: mounting a CD)?

Nope -- wouldn't matter at all. In fact, you don't even have to put the files in /usr/portage/distfiles. You can change the PORTDIR and DISTDIR variables in /etc/make.globals so they point to wherever you want, including /mnt/cdrom.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: