Problem with make.profile and bootstrap.sh
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
btaylor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 6:49 am    Post subject: Problem with make.profile and bootstrap.sh Reply with quote

gentoo does not want to install?!

I am attempting to install gentoo on my home pc. Everything works just fine until the point where I untar the .tbz2 file. I have booted, partitioned my drive, created my file systems, and mounted the cdrom. Then I execute the following:

Code:

tar xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stage1-ix86-1.2-tbz2

This appears to work just fine, and then I execute these commands:

Code:

mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc
cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
env-update

The env-update command gives me this error:

Code:

>>> Note: /etc/make.profile isn't available; an 'emerge sync' will probably fix this.
>>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...

Well, ok. I run the emerge sync and then execute env-update again and it appears to work like the installation guide says that it should. Then I run `source /etc/profile` and my prompt changes:

Code:

(none) / #

Next, I run an emerge rsync and it displays a summary because it appears that the emerge sync has already downloaded the Portage tree.

Now, on to the bootstrap.sh script! I uncomment the SYNC and USE lines. I have tried running bootstrap.sh with these settings:

Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -03 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-mcpu=i686 -03 -pipe"

and...

Code:

CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -03 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -03 -pipe"

While running bootstrap.sh with the -march options enabled, the machine locked and left me with a black screen. I was forced to use the reset switch.

While running bootstrap.sh with the -mcpu options enabled, the machine locked while compiling the crypt sources (I had enabled a few extra USE flags).

I really would like to run gentoo, but apparently it does not want me to. Please help!

Also, I turned down the DRAM clock speed and I am going to try this whole process again. Maybe a slower clock will make it stop locking?

Machine Specs:
PIII 733 MHz
256 MB SDRAM
SOYO Motherboard with the VIA chipset
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with make.profile and bootstrap.sh Reply with quote

btaylor wrote:
The env-update command gives me this error:

Code:

>>> Note: /etc/make.profile isn't available; an 'emerge sync' will probably fix this.

That's to be expected -- just ignore it. You don't need to run 'emerge rsync' until right after you run 'source /etc/profile'

btaylor wrote:
Also, I turned down the DRAM clock

Did you have the DRAM clock speed hopped up in the first place? What else is out of spec on your machine?

From the errors you describe, it sounds very much like a hardware problem. I suggest putting all of your hardware settings back to their defaults and trying to perform the install from there. Gentoo is incredibly hardware-intensive since it compiles everything from scratch. You might also consider trying a stage 3 install if you can't get the stage 1 to work.

--kurt
Naan Yaar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem with make.profile and bootstrap.sh Reply with quote

In your post, you did not say you did "cd /mnt/gentoo" (from Code Listing 16 in the gentoo CD install guide) before executing tar. If you did not do it, things will not work correctly.

btaylor wrote:
gentoo does not want to install?!

I am attempting to install gentoo on my home pc. Everything works just fine until the point where I untar the .tbz2 file. I have booted, partitioned my drive, created my file systems, and mounted the cdrom. Then I execute the following:

Code:

tar xvjpf /mnt/cdrom/stage1-ix86-1.2-tbz2

btaylor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I followed the installation instructions to the T (and dotted every single i), and finally it appears that running the RAM clock at a slower speed has solved my problem.

I don't think that I had it overclocked, but I have had it overclocked in the past, and I might have forgotten to return it to its original setting.

Thanks all :)
DarkArctic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the same message after running env-update.

Code:

But like you said ignore it. So I go on to the course /etc/profile and run emerge rsync and I get this line:

Code:
]>>> Note: /etc/make.profile isn't available; an 'emerge sync' will probably fix this.
>>>starting rsync with rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage.
rsync: get addrinfo.rsync.gentoo.org 873: Temporary failure in name resolution
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c (97)

Has anyone experienced this or know what it is? Thanks

DarkArctic
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkArctic wrote:
Code:
]rsync: get addrinfo.rsync.gentoo.org 873: Temporary failure in name resolution
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c (97)

Is /etc/resolv.conf set up correctly?
DarkArctic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is.

nameserver my DNS 1
nameserver my DNS 2

I had it the same way in my pervious Red Hat installation.

-DarkArctic
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you get if you type:

Code:
ping <your nameserver>

(obviously substituting your actual nameserver above. :)

--kurt
DarkArctic
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it also be because I'm behind a router? I know this causes some problems for certain things like UDP and IDENT. Is this also a problem with RSync?

-DarkArctic
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarkArctic wrote:
Could it also be because I'm behind a router?

Nope -- that error message is a simple name resolution failure. As long as you have your router configured to pass DNS traffic, (TCP/UDP 53) it shouldn't be causing the problem.

Since you said you had it running on your previous RedHat installation (right?), then your router should not be the cause of the problem.

--kurt
3x9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: code 10 ? Reply with quote

Good question
Had the exact same error at first attempt - if " code 10" refers to install instructions,
"mkefs xfs" ??? - doubtful ,to put it politely .
Checked -for correct "sync source" address as per home page info.
Went back, RE checked " sbin ifconfig -a ", got desired confirmation, dble-checked all else ok IE settings eth0 for dhcp etc. All things normal & correct ?? - so try again.
2nd time through, same thing. Heavy grumbles, good thing, this is all - at first few minutes into non-install ---
Thinking about danger of "self-inflicted" equipt damage..... Damn it, try stage1- if it starts, can watch TV -- Not really expecting much, stage1 exercised the monitor so much,
it was mesmerizing !
Total install time though is IMO -S L O W - considering this is done on a fairly powerful machine ??
Later, feeling real brave ( prefer "that" definition) I changed partitions around, and decided why not get modern - install w/tarball 1.3a (saw post Re vanilla-source preferability too late of course) but stage3 to speed things up motored right along
no problems at all ! Shades of Win$$$$ When all else fails, re-boot ( re-install )
" cuz evry-bud noze, Win is like that "??
Hope someone can de-mystify above, hate (keep quiet -> avoid the smug "musta been your f-up)
Gurus - R U on-line ?

Last edited by 3x9 on Fri Jul 19, 2002 1:40 am; edited 2 times in total
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: code 10 ? Reply with quote

3x9 wrote:
Hope someone can de-mystify above, hate Win-type now-how'd-that happen !!

It could be any number of things. Your nameserver might have been down -- did you try pinging it?

Also, rsync.gentoo.org is really a round-robin DNS system -- when you hit your nameserver and ask it to resolve "rsync.gentoo.org" to an IP address, it will give you one of 5-10 IP addresses, depending on who's up to bat next. (it rotates, hence the term "round robin")

It may be the case that the round-robin reply is handing you off to a bum nameserver. From the error message that people have posted, I don't think this is the case, but it might be.

--kurt
3x9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 2:34 am    Post subject: Fast on the draw Reply with quote

Kurt,
thnx, you routinely follow progress that closely, or ?

Sorry to alter the quote from re-edit of typos - BTW that "smug-bit" has nothing to do
with any Gentoo forum or residents therein - you can guess where it does reside .
To mis-quote an old saying - " when all plausible theories are disposed of, we are faced
with --- "
Your explanation of " round-robin," + alternate causes eliminated , finishes
"no matter how implausible " of quote !

Veni Vidi Vici
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: