A few general networking questions...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xiol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: A few general networking questions... Reply with quote

Hey, I'm about to setup a home network with two Linux machines, one for me and one for the family. I've got this idea in my head...

Code:

|-------> Xerxes (My machine)
Net ----- Router
              |-------> Shodan (Family machine)

Now I'm just wondering a few things.

• I'll probably want to use this router, because I don't wanna use a Linux box as the router, or spend too much on a router.
  • With that setup above, what problems will there be in sharing a net connection, or being able to have my machine communicate with my family machine? I'm pretty new to networking, so I'm sure this is possible, but if someone could just clear that up for me...
  • Currently I've only got my machine connected to the network, without any router or other computers. What would I have to do with my IP address setup? Would my IP still be what it is now, or would I have an internal IP and stuff would be forwarded to me over the router?

If you know of any good documents or posts you can point me to, it's much appreciated. I can't think of much else yet, unless you can point out any problems I might come across when trying to setup these machines.

They'll both be running Gentoo, though. ;)
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u wont have problems in internal communication but you box will get an internal ip as u suspected. all LAN connections are going to be forwardes (NAT, masqerade) to the outer net.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xiol,

The wiring you have outlined will work OK for internet sharing. What happens about IP addresses will depend in how your ISP allocates them. Some ISPs even object to more than one PC on the end becasue they try to change more for PCs sharing the internet connection.

Most likely you have a single dynamic IP address. This will become the public IP address for your router. The router will do Network Address Translation and your 2 PCs will have IP addresses from one of the private ranges, your router will also have an IP address from this range.

The router will probably do Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP), which means that whenever your switch a PC on, the router allocates the PC an IP address and all the other things it needs to know to browse the net.

If you want to share files, look into NFS. To share printers, look at CUPS.

You want a decent firewall for an always on connection. Routers often have pretentions in that direction but software updates are few and far between. Look at Smoothwall on an old PC.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Xiol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeddySeagoon wrote:
Some ISPs even object to more than one PC on the end becasue they try to change more for PCs sharing the internet connection.

*cough* Yea... err, some do... *cough cough* ;)

Quote:
Most likely you have a single dynamic IP address. This will become the public IP address for your router. The router will do Network Address Translation and your 2 PCs will have IP addresses from one of the private ranges, your router will also have an IP address from this range.

It's semi-static IP. I say semi-static because it changes every few months, or at generally random intervals, when it feels like it. Dunno why it does that, must just be my broadband provider's idea of a joke.

Quote:
The router will probably do Dynamic Host Control Protocol (DHCP), which means that whenever your switch a PC on, the router allocates the PC an IP address and all the other things it needs to know to browse the net.

Would these adresses remain static, or would they change after every reboot? This PC currently gets it's IP from DHCP and as I said above, that's pretty stable. I really only want to talk between computers for remote administration via SSH, and maybe allow music and videos to be streamed across. (Sharing this computers DVD player, maybe...)

Quote:
If you want to share files, look into NFS. To share printers, look at CUPS.

Won't be needing CUPS, but I'll look into NFS once everything is setup.

Quote:
You want a decent firewall for an always on connection. Routers often have pretentions in that direction but software updates are few and far between. Look at Smoothwall on an old PC.

I would do this, but my family has concerns about electricity usage as it is, that box would be up and down all the time. If it was up to me, I'd just leave the damn thing on 24/7.

Thanks, I think you've solved some of the basic questions.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xiol,

Be aware that packets that have been through NAT are detecable - they have to be, so that responses can be routed to the right machine.

You can have static or dynamic private IP allocation. Its up to you when you set up your router.
It won't matter, since the PC name will always resolve to the correct IP address. The router will always be static though, since its the gateway.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Xiol
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I have a AEI USB to LAN adapter, (Pegasus drivers, so I'm told), and rather than purchasing another Ethernet card (just to save maybe £12 ;)) I was wondering if I could use that. I've seen support in the kernel for them, but I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting it up?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: