Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Alpha EV5 boot question
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

 
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Posts: 110
Location: St. Louis

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Alpha EV5 boot question Reply with quote

I am attempting to install gentoo on an EV5 but I am not a alpha guru. My understanding is that to boot gentoo (or any linux) you need to have a BSD partition style layout setup with space in the front reserved for aboot. Is there any way to not use a BSD partion layouts? I had already started the install and I am ready to give a compiled kernel a shot however I am not sure how to get my machine to actually boot it. I read http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=71352&highlight=ev5 but they didnt go into much detail about the boot setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
backebergd
n00b
n00b


Joined: 24 Nov 2003
Posts: 9
Location: Boston, MA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get a solution for this one?

I'm using the BSD partition format, with about 12MB free at the beginning of the disk for aboot. I discovered that aboot required ext2 (or ext3) to be able to boot the partition, which meant that both /boot and /etc (for aboot.conf) needed to be in ext2 format. I wanted reiserfs, so came up with a simple hack. Found the source file that pointed to /etc, and changed it to /boot. Now I have my entire disk on reiserfs, with the exception of /boot. Any ideas on how to get /boot on reiserfs are welcome. Maybe I could somehow link aboot with reiserfs libraries?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bogomips
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2003
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

backebergd wrote:
Did you ever get a solution for this one?

I'm using the BSD partition format, with about 12MB free at the beginning of the disk for aboot. I discovered that aboot required ext2 (or ext3) to be able to boot the partition, which meant that both /boot and /etc (for aboot.conf) needed to be in ext2 format. I wanted reiserfs, so came up with a simple hack. Found the source file that pointed to /etc, and changed it to /boot. Now I have my entire disk on reiserfs, with the exception of /boot. Any ideas on how to get /boot on reiserfs are welcome. Maybe I could somehow link aboot with reiserfs libraries?


Simple hack? grr:-) More simple: You have to tell aboot where your aboot.conf is stored:
abootconf /dev/hda 2 //means 2 = part. b == /boot/etc/aboot.conf :-)
AFAIK Boot on reiserfs isn't possible, but who is interested in a bootpartition which is normally not mounted?

And to the previous poster: AFAIK if you use MILO you can have a "normal" partition table

Hope that helps a little bit
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
molander
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Posts: 110
Location: St. Louis

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up just using the BSD partitions. The Alpha runs very well however there are some issues with portage. They may be fixed now, I really haven't checked. I believe when I installed the alpha port really was supported/acknoledged. aboot doesnt read reiser yet but maybe in the future. I have actually ditched reiser because I keep getting corrupted filesystems with the alphas and x86s.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bogomips
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2003
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

molander wrote:
I ended up just using the BSD partitions. The Alpha runs very well however there are some issues with portage. They may be fixed now, I really haven't checked. I believe when I installed the alpha port really was supported/acknoledged. aboot doesnt read reiser yet but maybe in the future. I have actually ditched reiser because I keep getting corrupted filesystems with the alphas and x86s.


Hmm, I really don't know what people do to get corrupted fs with reiser??
I'm working with reiser since many years on a lot of (x86) machines without problems. Ok, if you shut down the system without a clean unmount then you will loose some files, but no corruption. For this case it's just a question of tuning the kernel so that it writes down all the data more regularly.
On my Alpha I have xfs but there are some troubles at the moment.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
bogomips
n00b
n00b


Joined: 14 Sep 2003
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bogomips wrote:
Hmm, I really don't know what people do to get corrupted fs with reiser??


Do they use heavily patched kernels? They should try a vanilla-kernel and see if the problem still exist.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum