DSPAM: Deliver ham not working?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaartenZzZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: DSPAM: Deliver ham not working? Reply with quote

Dear communtity,

I'm using DSPAM for a while and it works great, only:

When I try to deliver a message in the quarantine it won't be delivered(?).
Can anybody tell me what could be wrong? The message disapears in the quarantine, but I won't find the message in my mailbox.

Your thoughts are very welcome :D thank you!
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take it you are releasing a quaratined message using the webui.

Check the logs on your MTA first. Then DSPAM logs. Maybe build DSPAM with debug after that.
MaartenZzZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magic919 wrote:
I take it you are releasing a quaratined message using the webui.

Check the logs on your MTA first. Then DSPAM logs. Maybe build DSPAM with debug after that.

Sorry for not mentioning the webui. Yes, I'm using it :-)

When I looked at my Postfix logs, I saw that postfix wanted to 'forward' te spammessage to filter@mydomain, only, I don't have a filter@mydomain, so I created a new e-mailaddress called nospam@mydomain, and made an alias in /etc/mail/aliases;

Code:
filter:             nospam

All messages that I release from the webui will be send to nospam@mydomain. That works. Only, why? Why won't Postfix send the message to the original recipient? Now I have to forward the message myself. No big deal, only I want to know why :D

Thank you for your answer, magic919.
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

Now when you say it 'forwards' the message, can you look closer? Mine seems to 'bounce' the message, as evidenced by from=<>, to the original recipient.

Mine does bounce it to the original recipient, but I guess that doesn't help you. :-)

My suggestion would be that you are using the user 'filter' for all recipients, but not as a group. I will add a cautionary note that DSPAM on Gentoo broke for me a while back due it segfaulting on re-train. I'm using dspam-3.8.0-r11 on mine as that was ok, but maybe I was just unlucky.
MaartenZzZ
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, can you explain what you mean with

Quote:
My suggestion would be that you are using the user 'filter' for all recipients, but not as a group.

I don't get it :oops:

Thank you!
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.

I have a group called filter. It is used by user1@example.com, user2@domain.com and user3@website.com

In DSPAM's home I put a file called group. It contains:

Code:

filter:shared,managed:user1@example.com,user2@domain.com,user3@website.com

So it's just the one user in the database called filter. All that learning spam and ham gets logged against user filter in other words. That's a shared group. It also appears in the webui under the one user - again filter. Filter can log in and release for all those in just the one quarantine (like you do now).

And when I release the message it goes to user3@website.com, for example. Not filter@website.com.

Hope that makes some sense when you read it...
Fooligan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Similar problem Reply with quote

I seem to run into the same problem as MaartenZzZ did. I did create the user "filter" and my released mail ends up in the filter mailbox from where I put it in the intended user's mailbox.

My setup consist of postfix - dpam - courier-imapd - cyrus-sasl It was originally set up with help from "Virtual Mailhosting System with Postfix Guide" http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/virt-mail-howto.xml and "Gentoo mailfiltering gateway guide" http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/mailfilter-guide.xml including all the mysql tables etc.

For the Dspam implementation I used "HOWTO_Spam_Filtering_with_DSPAM_and_Postfix" http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Spam_Filtering_with_DSPAM_and_Postfix

Since the Amavisd-new and Spamassassin let through too many mails for me I decided to switch to Dspam.

One of the problems I noticed is that Dspam seems to use the mbox format instead of the .maildir format I use for the rest of the setup.

While using the dspam-web gui I don't find this too big a problem.

The problem rises when the gui advises me to sent spam that was delivered to the users mailboxes to spam-filter@domain.com. The mail system replies that the address doesn't exist.

My questions I'm struggeling with are;
How do I either get the mail delivered to /var/spool/dspam/data/local/filter/filter.mbox ? Or get Spamd to use the .maildir that was created somehow during the process at /var/spool/dspam/.maildir ?
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar problem Reply with quote

Fooligan wrote:

The problem rises when the gui advises me to sent spam that was delivered to the users mailboxes to spam-filter@domain.com. The mail system replies that the address doesn't exist.

Have you created a suitable alias in Postfix?

I just use an IMAP folder for each user, called Spam. Then I run a script to pick them up, via a cron job.
Fooligan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Similar problem Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick reply. Was afraid this thread had been forgotten after 3 months.(although not signed as solved)

[quote="magic919"]
Quote:

Have you created a suitable alias in Postfix?

I've tried to add a user called spam-filter but got stuck since there's no user with that name. I ended up trying to use dspam's credentials (UID GID) for this since that's the owner of the file. No Luck.
I then tried to add the alias spam-filter and feed it to the file /var/spool/dspam/data/local/filter/filter.mbox since I noticed mailman does it this way. Again to no avail.

[quote="magic919"]
Quote:

I just use an IMAP folder for each user, called Spam. Then I run a script to pick them up, via a cron job.

I read about this option in a few other posts too but nobody writes any code for the script with this. And since I don't know how to get anything delivered to this filter.mbox file I don't know how to start writing this job. :oops:

Again thanks for your quick reply and hopefully you can shed some light on this matter.
magic919
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here's my 2p. You can create a Postfix alias and have a dedicated transport for retraining and that'll work. But if you don't 100% understand those concepts it'll be hard work. Do you really need the email forwarding option?

If you already use IMAP for your mail users then create a sub-folder called Spam (case sensitive) for each of them. Then run a script to check all the mail sub-folders named Spam and retrain the contents. I can post the content of the script I use for that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: