MOL and printing
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
preemi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 8:01 pm    Post subject: MOL and printing Reply with quote

hey i got MOL to work and i honestly cant believe how well its worked (other than networking/printing).

I installed my printer by booting up Mac OS X (i have a triple boot system with gentoo/osx/os9) and installing the drivers, and it prints fine from os x. However, when i start os x from gentoo, i can click on print, then it will open the 'print center' but it stalls on 'opening printer connection' (no error, just nothing happens).

Could this be a USB problem? And if so, do I just enable it in the kernel and try again?
rt_clik
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 5:04 am    Post subject: MOL and printing Reply with quote

I went to the MOL site http://maconlinux.org, and found no mention of USB support. I looked at USB support early on in my journey towards using MOL, but I seem to remember that, aside from mouse, keyboard, and video, no external device support is yet possible. The general lack of info on USB support tends to lend credibility to my memory.

I've done a couple of things to print that have been very successful:

1. Got networking up and functioning correctly.

Hard to do the first time due to errors in the first versions of the tunconfig script I saw, but with a little persistence and a bit of insomnia, it was manageable. The *big* gotchas were the need to compile iptables support into the kernel, and the need to have dhcpd and iptables installed. Again, I had to battle a little problem in the tunconfig script, but I believe that has since been fixed.

2. Used cupsd, lpd, or Samba to share out the USB printer on the network from the Linux installation, and connect back to it from the MOL VM.

You can use the print server configurations to specifically share printers on the tun interface on the Linux side of the internal network, or share them out to all interfaces. Either way, once done, you should be able to connect to your printer(s) as network resources from your MOL VM.

If my help on getting networking up and functioning is a bit too vague, get in touch with me, and I'll write up some detailed web docs for the process. Been looking for motivation to do so anyway, so it wouldn't be a tremedously big deal.

Good luck.
homar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOL now supports USB but you need to download a recent snapshot. http://lists.maconlinux.org/pipermail/mol-general/2003-July/001834.html

Also if you want to be able to use your printer in mac os x you need to compile usb printer support as a module in the linux kernel. Then rmmod it before accessing the printer from MOL.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: