Bittorrent seeding server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mental
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Bittorrent seeding server Reply with quote

Hi!

I currently have a Gentoo server seeding about 700 torrents, using KTorrent which runs on Xorg, but I'd really like to get rid of that since I manually need to start KTorrent (bittorrent client for KDE) every time the machine (or Xorg) is restarted. The dependancy on Xorg isn't awesome either, since sometimes I'd need to access it using VNC or something, and that doesn't always work properly for newer Xorg versions for some reasons (x11vnc; keystrokes won't go through).

So, does anybody know about some bittorrent seeding server, which:
  • could be started via an init-script
  • would have a decent command-line interface (or web-interface)
  • would allow me to easily import all the torrents and files from KTorrent (so I wouldn't need to redownload those terabytes nor import every single torrent by hand)
  • would be CPU- and memory-efficient (e.g. probably written in C/C++) when seeding those 700 torrents

Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks!
elgato319
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bittorrent seeding server Reply with quote

How about Transmission?

Can be run via Commandline.
Has a webinterface.
Written in C, low memory footprint.
Should be able to use the torrentfiles vom ktorrent.

Mental wrote:

• could be started via an init-script
  • would have a decent command-line interface (or web-interface)
  • would allow me to easily import all the torrents and files from KTorrent (so I wouldn't need to redownload those terabytes nor import every single torrent by hand)
  • would be CPU- and memory-efficient (e.g. probably written in C/C++) when seeding those 700 torrents

szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deluge runs as a service (comes with /etc/init.d/ script) and has a web interface and a remote GTK interface - you can easily use it on a headless.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Networking & Security.
g-user
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd really like to get rid of that since I manually need to start KTorrent (bittorrent client for KDE) every time the machine (or Xorg) is restarted.

KDE have session restore feature in Control Center.. For me i just leave running programs and turn off PC. After starting KDE run all programs back. Yeah I'm PC. I'm Linux :lol:

Also you may look to /home/Mental/.kde/Autostart folder. If you place to this folder link to application - every time when you will start KDE whis app will runned.
Quote:
(or web-interface)

Not think what is good idea. Many solutions like this very resource hungry. Personally i sometimes use http://qbittorrent.sourceforge.net. I don't run so many torrents because for running 700 torrents same time need very fast network speeed, if you have slow network - users just can't download somefind from you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: