resetting system clock [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Despot Despondency
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:25 am    Post subject: resetting system clock [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi, we have just had the clock go forward one hour in my country for daylight saving so I want to update the clock on my computer appropriately. I've done this through the KMenu using KMenu -> System Administration -> Date & Time, however when I reboot the computer the clock has gone back to its previous setting. How can I change to clock permanently? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Despot Despondency on Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to do here:

1) Make sure you have your TIMEZONE var listed in /etc/conf.d/clock (or hwclock depending on which file is installed on your machine), for example:
Code:
TIMEZONE="America/New_York"

2) I'm not sure if htis is still required, but I still use it, symlink /etc/localtime to your correct timezone. For my setup this is:
Code:
$ ls -l /etc/localtime
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 2009-04-01 14:11 /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/America/New_York

3) Check your /etc/conf.d/clock (or hwclock) to see if you are syncing your system clock to your hardware clock on shutdown:
Code:
CLOCK_SYSTOHC="yes"

4) Finally, set your system time to whatever it should be, then run the following command to sync the system time to your hardware clock.
Code:
 hwclock --systohc
Despot Despondency
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Quote:

1) Make sure you have your TIMEZONE var listed in /etc/conf.d/clock (or hwclock depending on which file is installed on your machine), for example:

I've got my timezone set properly in /etc/conf.d/clock, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Quote:

3) Check your /etc/conf.d/clock (or hwclock) to see if you are syncing your system clock to your hardware clock on shutdown:

I also have this set in my /etc/conf.d/clock, so again that shouldn't be a problem.

I think it's to do with connecting with the hardware clock becuase when I run

Code:

hwclock --systohc --debug

I get the following error

Code:

hwclock from util-linux-ng 2.14.1
hwclock: Open of /dev/rtc failed, errno=2: No such file or directory.
No usable clock interface found.
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.

Also I get the following error everytime I reboot my computer

Code:

Failed to set clock, you will have to set clock yourself

I've read about and it seems I need to add CONFIG_RTC to the kernel. Is that right, or how else to I solve this problem? I had a look for the option through genkernel but I couldn't find it.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that sounds like the missing /dev/rtc is probably causing the problem. Here's the path to it in menuconfig:
Code:

x Symbol: RTC [=m]                                                                                               x 
  x Prompt: Enhanced Real Time Clock Support (legacy PC RTC driver)                                                x 
  x   Defined at drivers/char/Kconfig:766                                                                          x 
  x   Depends on: RTC_LIB=n && !PPC && !PARISC && !IA64 && !M68K && !SPARC && !FRV && !ARM && !SUPERH && !S390 &&  x 
  x   Location:                                                                                                    x 
  x     -> Device Drivers                                                                                          x 
  x       -> Character devices

BTW - If you weren't already aware, to search menuconfig all you need to do is press the / key and then enter the text to search for (e.g. RTC).
Despot Despondency
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for your response. I must be missing something because I've done

Code:

cd /usr/src/linux
make menuconfig

but when I go to

Code:

Device Drivers ---> Character devices

I can't find Enhanced Real Time Clock Support anywhere. It shows up when I search for it (I get the same message as you get). What does this mean?
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What arch are you using? It is saying that if you use the PPC, PARISC, IA64, M68K, SPARC, FRV, ARM,SUPERH, S390 archs you can't use RTC. It also depends on having RTC_LIB=n.
Despot Despondency
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using x86_64 so I don't think that is a problem. I disabled 'Device Drivers -> Real Time Clock', is that what you mean by having RTC_LIB=n? Now I have the option 'Device Drivers -> Character Devices -> Enhanced Real Time Clock Support (legacy PC RTC driver) ' whcih I've enabled, but now when I try to compile the kernel I get the following

Code:

scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
  CHK     include/linux/version.h
  CHK     include/linux/utsrelease.h
  CALL    scripts/checksyscalls.sh
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      arch/x86/kernel/hpet.o
  LD      arch/x86/kernel/built-in.o
  GZIP    kernel/config_data.gz
  IKCFG   kernel/config_data.h
  CC      kernel/configs.o
  LD      kernel/built-in.o
  CC      drivers/acpi/osl.o
  LD      drivers/acpi/built-in.o
  LD      drivers/char/built-in.o
  CC [M]  drivers/char/rtc.o
  LD      drivers/built-in.o
  LD      vmlinux.o
  MODPOST vmlinux.o
  GEN     .version
  CHK     include/linux/compile.h
  UPD     include/linux/compile.h
  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      vmlinux
  SYSMAP  System.map
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin
  GZIP    arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux.bin.gz
  LD      arch/x86/boot/compressed/piggy.o
  LD      arch/x86/boot/compressed/vmlinux
  OFFSETS arch/x86/boot/offsets.h
  AS      arch/x86/boot/header.o
  CC      arch/x86/boot/version.o
  LD      arch/x86/boot/setup.elf
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/setup.bin
  OBJCOPY arch/x86/boot/vmlinux.bin
  BUILD   arch/x86/boot/bzImage
Root device is (8, 3)
Setup is 11640 bytes (padded to 11776 bytes).
System is 2507 kB
CRC 4725fda1
Kernel: arch/x86/boot/bzImage is ready  (#9)
  Building modules, stage 2.
  MODPOST 1184 modules
WARNING: modpost: Found 2 section mismatch(es).
To see full details build your kernel with:
'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y'
  CC      drivers/char/rtc.mod.o
  LD [M]  drivers/char/rtc.ko

I'm going to do 'make CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=y' and see what happens, but I just wanted to check that this is what you meant.
mikegpitt
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it looks like you got it right. As you probably saw, RTC_LIB is selected by RTC_CLASS:
Code:
  x Symbol: RTC_LIB [=n]                                                                                  x 
  x   Selected by: RTC_CLASS && !S390                                                                     x 

RTC_CLASS seems to be located at Device Drivers -> Real Time Clock:
Code:
  x Symbol: RTC_CLASS [=n]                                                                                x 
  x Prompt: Real Time Clock                                                                               x 
  x   Defined at drivers/rtc/Kconfig:8                                                                    x 
  x   Depends on: !S390                                                                                   x 
  x   Location:                                                                                           x 
  x     -> Device Drivers                                                                                 x 
  x   Selects: RTC_LIB                                                                                    x 

Just an FYI - I have both those vars selected as =n in my config. I'm not exactly sure why you are getting the mismatch error. I have CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH=n, but it might be worthwhile to enable it to see what is going on. I've never run into that before, but if I get a chance later I'll do some digging.
Despot Despondency
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just rebooted my computer and I've managed to set the hardware clock, so everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: