OpenOffice Survey
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phaedrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:31 pm    Post subject: OpenOffice Survey Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm currently 'migrating' to total open-source apps, and wanted to know what you guys all thought of OpenOffice?
I know it's got raves (and what it's capable of), but is anyone here regularly using it to edit documents/spreadsheets etc made in MSOffice?

I need to edit the odd MSOffice file at home for work, and I want to make absolutely sure it's worthwhile moving before I spend hours downloading through my 56k.

I mean, can it handle MSOffice files to the extent MSOffice can?
christsong84
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice Survey Reply with quote

phaedrus wrote:
Hi All,

I'm currently 'migrating' to total open-source apps, and wanted to know what you guys all thought of OpenOffice?
I know it's got raves (and what it's capable of), but is anyone here regularly using it to edit documents/spreadsheets etc made in MSOffice?

I need to edit the odd MSOffice file at home for work, and I want to make absolutely sure it's worthwhile moving before I spend hours downloading through my 56k.

In answer to your questions, I commonly use OpenOffice for my word documents I give to my teachers at school. Quite honestly, they think I used Word (or excel if I submitted a spreadsheet). The only thing you MIGHT have problems on is the use of macros (which usually are only used by 2% of MS Office users). Powerpoint Presentations come in quite clear for me and work quite well for my final projects at end of term.

So, here's one user who'se in general satisfied and working with it on a day-to-day basis.
arand
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience it has not to bad. For most stuff like for me 75 % of documetns it opens up ok or with minor errors that I can fix quickly. The ones that don't are that kind that have some really wierd formatting in them. I have seen this from both word and excel documents. When I say wierd one that comes to mind was a dual column documetn with a big textbox and a bunch of check boxes.

Also all my experience has ben with the 1.0.x series I have not tried the 1.1 series yet but they say the filters have improved. I am looking forward to the stable ebuild for that.

My suggestion to you would be to take your most complicted document or spread sheet to a computer with openoffice is on and see what happens.
viperlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love it, it's my #1 office suite
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: OpenOffice Survey Reply with quote

phaedrus wrote:

Not completely (especially powerpoint and excel docs for me).. but in most cases, it's pretty good. Better than any other non-Office suites.
syscrash
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about word documents, but the 5 that I did try opened correctly :P . I always use openoffice, and I save my files in the openoffice format. It is a great alternative to ms word (ugh).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Desktop Environments.
Unne
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OO.o is all I have to use, so I use it. I've used it in the past for assignments at college. We had to install OO.o on all the lab computers once, because there was no MS Office and no way to get it to put it on them. OO.o is as compatible as I need it to be. If it can create .doc files and change fonts, line spacing, alignment, etc. it's powerful enough for what paltry use I need to get out of it.
phaedrus
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Sounds cool Reply with quote

Okay, it looks like I have all the reviews I need!

Now it's just scheduling time to download... :roll:

Thanks all...
noff
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: I use it Reply with quote

I use it for MS stuff and it does very well. Except for most templates and what not. OO completely butchered my old resume I had made using the resume wizard in word. I prefer it over excel, however I find powerpoint to be much nicer than impress (that wasn't your question though). It can be a little sluggy at times though I here this has improved in 1.1.
What Larry was saying is that if you make it too easy for programmers, then poor programmers will be able to do things best left to good programmers, and will inevitably do them poorly. Everyone will suffer in the long term as a result." - Tom Chance
mattsavigear
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using OOo for several months. It imports MS document extremely well, but the export to Word at least can be a bit flaky. I find it tends to lose formatting quite a bit, which is not ideal as I'd rather not have to review every export in the MS application to fix the problems.

"Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them." - The Tick.
charlieg
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using OpenOffice-1.1-rc3 on Windows and it's great. I actually prefer it to MS Office. It's probably lacking one or two advanced features, but I'm just making standard documents - indexing, headings, etc - and find OOo easily satisfies my every Office need.

Open source web-enabled rich UI platform: Vexi
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Writer: Never had a problem.
Calc: Never tried it
Impress: I had lots of formatting problems with SO5, but i haven't tried it wit oo.org 1.0
SIR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For just about everything I've tried, I haven't had a problem.

I've seen slight formatting differences, especially with graphics and other objects in the writer, and I couldn't use built in VBA and Excel solver stuff for some of the spreadsheets I've used.

But overall, I like it!
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
I've been using OpenOffice-1.1-rc3 on Windows and it's great. I actually prefer it to MS Office. It's probably lacking one or two advanced features, but I'm just making standard documents - indexing, headings, etc - and find OOo easily satisfies my every Office need.

Is there any particular reasons why you prefer OOo to MSOffice on Windows? I'm just curious.

On Linux, I love OOo, and I use it over any of the other alternatives. On Windows however, MSOffice just _feels_ more polished, smooth, and faster. And MSOffice has 100% perfect PowerPoint compatabibility :) I dunno, that's just my experience.

Of course, OOo is free, and MSOffice is not, but it sounds like you have MSOffice anyways.,
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: