Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installing JRE 1.4.2 for x86 (32-bit) on amd64 (64-bit)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
segedunum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Installing JRE 1.4.2 for x86 (32-bit) on amd64 (64-bit) Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a system running on a 64-bit AMD system, and I have my architecture keyword set accordingly to amd64. However, I need to install a specific version of 1.4.2 for the Sun JRE because of a daft application that only supports that version (don't ask) and I've noticed that there is no ebuild for 1.4.2 under amd64 but there is under x86 (obviously because that JRE is 32-bit only).

I know that this JRE will almost certainly run thanks to the miracles of amd64 being able to run 32-bit code, but is there a safe and reasonably supported way of doing this? I could just change my architecure keyword to x86 temporarily and install but I'd rather know if there is a nicer and safer way of achieving this.

Thanks in advance,

David
segedunum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the answer to this. There are a series of 32-bit emulation packages, one of which is emul-linux-x86-java and this can be installed. The package cannot be brought down because of Sun's licensing over this version, so you have to download an install the 1.4 series from Sun's web site and put in /usr/portage/distfiles.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: