[SOLVED]problem updating kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fateyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: [SOLVED]problem updating kernel Reply with quote

I am on step 11 of the handbook, where you reboot out of the livecd. I noticed there were 2 modules missing from my first kernel configuration, ext2 and pcnet32, so I recompiled the kernel and copied it to my boot folder. But when I reboot, I am still getting the same error that says ext2 filesystem not recognized and my network card doesn't work.

P.S. I can boot into the system, and do most things other than getting online. Also my /boot is empty due to it not being recognized.

Last edited by fateyn on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you forgot to mount /boot before you copied over the second kernel.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: looking in the wrong place Reply with quote

You have your basic catch-22 there. Your /boot is probably ext2 if you let it default. If you use an initrd device in your grub entry, the initial selection of modules to load comes from the filesystem that is contained within. You probably though that copying the ext2 module to /lib/modules/<whatever kernel> with a make install_modules was enough. You actually have to park it in the initrd filesystem for it to work at this stage.

It's much easier to just mark the ext2 filesystem as a "y" instead of an "m" when you rebuild your kernel. I avoid the whole issue by making sure that my hardware from an lspci and crucial filesystems such as ext2/3/4 and xfs are built as a "built in" and not just a module in my kernels. I can then skip the whole initrd setup. Hardware such as NICs and audio that don't get plumbed until udev and level 3 can still be built as modules.

Your NIC driver problem is a different story since you didn't supply enough info for me to make any suggestions.
fateyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apology for not making it clear in the first post.

I think I did mount /boot please see the code below,

Quote:
You have your basic catch-22 there. Your /boot is probably ext2 if you let it default. If you use an initrd device in your grub entry, the initial selection of modules to load comes from the filesystem that is contained within. You probably though that copying the ext2 module to /lib/modules/<whatever kernel> with a make install_modules was enough. You actually have to park it in the initrd filesystem for it to work at this stage.

I don't quite understand this, my /boot is ext2 as I followed the handbook. I didn't use something called initrd device in my grub. What I did on my second recompile was

# mount /dev/sda3 /mnt/gentoo
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot
# mount -t proc none /mnt/gentoo/proc
# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev
# chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash
# env-update
# cd /usr/src/linux
# make menuconfig
# make && make modules_install
# cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-gentoo

I actually had both ext2 and pcnet32 set as *, I called them modules because I didn't know the correct word to use for them...
huckabuck
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed when compiling the 2.6.27-r8 gentoo-sources kernel , that the ext2 file system is not checked by default anymore ... and it is not called ext2 filesystem in the menu either. its called

Code:
< >Second extended fs support

I know i missed it twice on the first run through when making my latest kernel. Maybe you need to double check that and add it back into your kernel if its missing.
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: about initrd Reply with quote

If you did a default livecd install, you would have a genkernel version of kernel installed which uses an initrd. It sounds like you did a diy style install using gentoo-sources instead, so you won't have that other kernel sitting out there in /boot.

An initrd is a blob that lives in /boot alongside the kernel it goes with. It's actually a containerized filesystem that is mounted via a loopback device mechanism. It's there for those cases where the built-in kernel support doesn't have enough stuff "baked in" to get important stuff like your disk controller hardware plumbed up and / and /boot mounted as normal filesystems. Grub knows how to get to that blob in boot mode with bios calls rather than the normal way.

Many distro's including Gentoo genkernel package build a basic kernel and then build the entire world of device drivers as modules in an initrd. If they built in every device driver known to mankind in order to catch all possible hardware configs on an install, the basic kernel would be too bloated for many memory limited systems. Thus they build as modules instead and let the basic kernel and udev to pick and chose what's necessary to load for specific hardware and filesystems.

The drawback is that you must deal with populating the initrd yourself if you are tweaking the kernel. It will also be a faster boot to use gentoo-sources and have your disk controller, raid, device mapper etc along with filesystems baked in to the base.
fateyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huckabuck-Yes, I checked Second extended fs support, every other ext2 modules under it is left default.

vaxbrat-I actually wanted to use gentoo-sources instead of genkernel so I can learn more along the way, and this helps if I have to update kernel in the future. I am not in need of a complete system, so I want to tackle every problem along the way.

Any idea on what I might have done wrong?
vaxbrat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: not sure Reply with quote

At one point I was pretty sure that ext2 fs support was built as a "y" in the default config for pretty much anyone's distro. It's such a twitch reflex for me to bake it in along with ext3, xfs and now ext4 (as of 2.6.28) that I don't know what the default is anymore.

At least someone wised up and removed oss support in favor of alsa in the last set of kernel versions. I almost think someone was there sabotaging stuff like that to make sure that the idiot between the keyboard and chair was awake and somewhat cognisant of their actions when rebuilding :P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: