Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
yet more alsa ac97 problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmace

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:14 pm    Post subject: yet more alsa ac97 problems Reply with quote

ok.. going through audio hell here. Got Gentoo up and running. Went to install my sound card. Kernel is compiled with sound support. I have modular support for the creative card that was preselected in the kernel's menuconfig, but i dont think that is a problem cause its not even loaded. I have AC97 integrated audio. I emerged ALSA and ALSA-utilities.. followed the desktop configuration guide exactly as it instructed. The modules are loaded and ALSA seems to start when init.d runs. when going to unmute the channels i get
Code:
amixer: Mixer attach default error: No such device
. I figured that stopping the ALSA service would be a good place to start. I get the error
Code:
ERROR: "alsasound" has not yet been started.
I think im on the right track, so i naturally start the service..
Code:
ALSA driver is already running.
OK looks like something is really screwed.. I tried running
Code:
/etc/init.d/alsasound zap

anyone seen this, and can anyone point me in the right direction?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:50 pm    Post subject: ALSA info Reply with quote

There is a WHOLE lot to be read about ALSA in the forums. I recommend a search. A few nuggets though is that you need to load the module for your soundcard. Sometimes for AC97 you can use the AC97 module, although not always. I recomend checking the ALSA sound card matrix for assistance in identifying which module should be loaded. To load the module type

Code:
modprobe "modulename"

Where "modulename" is the actual module you will be using.

One thing to note is that the ALSA sound card matrix will give you the name of the driver, but you must add "snd-" to the begining (I think). So for the "Soundblaster 32/AWE" sound card you would

Code:
modprobe snd-sbawe

as a simple example.

Given you say your sound is AC-97 I'd bet it is onboard audio. In that case look for your chipset in the list such as "Intel i810" or "Via 8233."

Oh yeah here is the link for the ALSA Sound Card Matrix http://www.alsa-project.org/~goemon/

I hope that information helps!!!!

Good luck--Remember to check other threads in the forums as there are a BUNCH on ALSA configuration and troubleshooting!

Regards,
BonezTheGoon

pjp wrote:
The greater evil is voting for the "lesser evil."
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: