Failed to start the X server
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manolos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Failed to start the X server Reply with quote

Hello! Im new in gentoo! I have download the gentoo liveCD 2008 (32 bit for virtualbox on laptop and 64 for my desktop)
with virtualbox there is no problem! boot -> graphical interface for install gtk+ and then im root without error.

but when i put the 64bit cd for boot i cant go through graphical installer... :?
i get this error (i get the same error with 32bit CD):

Code:
[b]Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface). It is likely that it is not set up correctly
Fatal screen error:
no screen found

Code:
The X server is now disable. Restart GDM
when it is configured correctly[/b]

i think is my VGA
# lspci
# VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Unknown device 0640 (rev a1)

can i do something about it or ill just have to install manual? im noob and i think is dificult without gtk+
Thanks!
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed to start the X server Reply with quote

manolos wrote:
can i do something about it or ill just have to install manual? im noob and i think is dificult without gtk+
It may seem that way but in the end, you'll have better results if you go the manual route. The GTK installer was never foolproof and AFAIK is no longer recommended or maintained. A manual installation also introduces you to configuration and maintenance of a Gentoo system, which is generally not a point-and-click affair.

Work through the Handbook carefully and you'll do fine. For your first install, it's wise to read all the way through before you do anything. Make notes of your decisions for all steps that require a choice. This way, you can take your time to research your options (if needed) without the worry of being stuck in the middle of the install process.

Good luck and welcome to Gentoo.
manolos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed to start the X server Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
manolos wrote:
It may seem that way but in the end, you'll have better results if you go the manual route. The GTK installer was never foolproof and AFAIK is no longer recommended or maintained. A manual installation also introduces you to configuration and maintenance of a Gentoo system, which is generally not a point-and-click affair.

Work through the Handbook carefully and you'll do fine. For your first install, it's wise to read all the way through before you do anything. Make notes of your decisions for all steps that require a choice. This way, you can take your time to research your options (if needed) without the worry of being stuck in the middle of the install process.

Good luck and welcome to Gentoo.

thank you very mach! ill do it manuall! can you help me with the commands? i dont know where to start from... :oops:
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed to start the X server Reply with quote

manolos wrote:
i dont know where to start from... :oops:
If you have a 32-bit x86 computer, start here.
If you have a newer, 64-bit machine (AMD64, Intel Core, etc.), start here.

The Handbook, like most Gentoo documentation, is quite thorough and produced to a high standard. Work through it page by page, ask questions when you need clarification and you'll have a working Gentoo system before you know it. :)
manolos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Failed to start the X server Reply with quote

timeBandit wrote:
manolos wrote:
i dont know where to start from... :oops:
If you have a 32-bit x86 computer, start here.
If you have a newer, 64-bit machine (AMD64, Intel Core, etc.), start here.

The Handbook, like most Gentoo documentation, is quite thorough and produced to a high standard. Work through it page by page, ask questions when you need clarification and you'll have a working Gentoo system before you know it. :)

I have dual core so ill start with the 64bit handbook! thanks! ill read all the pages and ill post again with more serious question :wink:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: