Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo + Firefox + Flash + Sound + 24 hours = Fail.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:29 am    Post subject: Gentoo + Firefox + Flash + Sound + 24 hours = Fail. Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing that i'm the only one with this problem, but I can't seem to find a solution (forum search isn't exactly helping) - only some non-gentoo related suggestions to downgrade flash to v9. (which isn't really a suggestion, as flash10 support is pretty much required these days).

Synopsis: I run Firefox 3.0.6 &/or Opera 9.63 on gentoo on three desktop workstations (home, work, consulting gig), running 2.6.27-gentoo-r7, 2.6.24-gentoo-r3, and 2.6.25-gentoo-r8 respectively. Flash (version 10.0 r15) audio stops working after firefox has been running for anywhere between 8 and 24 hours.

ALSA enabled without any sound daemons. All latest stable packages available via portage.

Sound works great, i can run firefox + flash video + mplayer + vlc all at the same time without issue - and often will have some music streaming in via mplayer, and check out a youtube video without a problem.

The problem appears to be somewhere between flash and alsa. After 8-24 hours of running firefox, flash audio ceases to work. Like clockwork, i unlock my desktop after having been away overnight, and click on a flash video link, and the video will play with no sound for about 2 seconds and then stop (apparently hung on a write to the audio subsystem). The only way to get flash audio/video back is to restart firefox via a gentle 'killall firefox'. Mplayer and other apps continue to play sound without an issue.

As you can see, it doesn't appear to be kernel version specific. I have run daemons like esd in the past, but found that native alsa worked better (until running into this issue).

What am i missing here? Anyone else having this issue? Anyone know a fix? Next time it happens i'll try to get a strace on ffox.

(thanks, as always).

Last edited by jba on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
anfpunk
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a similar problem. Except I'm using OSS4. Basically, anytime I close Firefox, I have to recompile libflashsupport or flash audio wont work.
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having this exact problem as well, so it's not just you. :) I'm going to try downgrading to v9 to see if that helps at all. :P
Shamus397
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem with v9. :( Could just be a stale cache though, I'll have to try restarting FF and see if the problem recurrs.

It occurs to me that this could be a FF (I'm on 3.0.3 ATM) problem and not a flash problem... I'll upgrade to 3.0.7 and try again with v10.
jba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:
Same problem with v9. :( Could just be a stale cache though, I'll have to try restarting FF and see if the problem recurrs.

It occurs to me that this could be a FF (I'm on 3.0.3 ATM) problem and not a flash problem... I'll upgrade to 3.0.7 and try again with v10.

Yeah, i'd buy that, but i also run opera on one of my machines, and it happens in opera too. Seems to me a problem with flash, and there are plenty of hits with other distro's out there, but no clear fixes..
jba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shamus397 wrote:

Btw, i've read a few good things about the new version of flash - 10.0.22.87 - the beta before this (10.0.20 iirc) was, according to some the first version of flash to implement the alsa API in a non-braindead fashion. I upgraded to 10.0.22.87 last night and so far, so good. Will report back again tomorrow. (crosses fingers)
jba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that did it. Thanks adobe!!
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:06 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote

I've had the same problem too.
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: did upgrade to 10.0.22.87; still have problem Reply with quote

I realized that I upgraded to =net-www/netscape-flash-10.0.22.87 but, I still got messed up audio after playing for a while tonight (I have a flash-based music player running). It appears to be the same problem as before, so the problem does not appear to be solved by the upgrade.

Code:
Searching...   
[ Results for search key : netscape-flash ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  net-www/netscape-flash
      Latest version available: 10.0.22.87
      Latest version installed: 10.0.22.87
      Size of files: 8,747 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.adobe.com/
      Description:   Adobe Flash Player
      License:       AdobeFlash-10

Code:
Portage 2.1.6.7 (default/linux/x86/2008.0, gcc-4.1.2, glibc-2.8_p20080602-r1, 2.6.27-gentoo-r8-2009Jan22 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r8-2009Jan22-i686-Intel-R-_Pentium-R-_M_processor_1.73GHz-with-glibc2.0
Timestamp of tree: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 01:45:01 +0000
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p39
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7-r1, 2.1.7
dev-lang/python:     2.5.2-r7
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r7
dev-util/cmake:      2.4.8
sys-apps/baselayout: 1.12.11.1
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1-r2
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.63
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.7.9-r1, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.2
sys-devel/binutils:  2.18-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.26
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.27-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /var/lib/hsqldb"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/language.dat.d /etc/texmf/language.def.d /etc/texmf/updmap.d /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/udev/rules.d"
CXXFLAGS="-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="ccache distlocks fixpackages parallel-fetch protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/gentoo  http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/         http://gentoo.netnitco.net      http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo       http://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo    ftp://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo        http://distfiles.gentoo.org     http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/gentoo"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1"
LINGUAS="en_US en"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X a52 aac acl acpi alsa bash-completion berkdb bluetooth bzip2 cairo caps cdparanoia cjk cli cracklib crypt cups dbus dell directfb divx dri dts dvb dvd eap-tls emacs encode exif fbcon ffmpeg flac fortran ftp gd gdbm gif gmedia gnutls gpm gstreamer gtk hal hardened iconv ipv6 isdnlog java javascript jpeg jpeg2k laptop libcaca logrotate lzo mad mailwrapper matroska mbrola midi mmx mmxext mp3 mpeg mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ogg openal opengl openmp pam pcmcia pcre pdf perl png ppds pppd prediction preview-latex python qt3support qt4 quicktime readline realmedia reflection samba scanner sdl session socks5 sound spell spl sse sse2 ssl svg sysfs tcpd theora threads tiff tk truetype unicode usb v4l v4l2 vcd vlm vorbis wifi win32codecs wmf wmp wxwindows x86 xinerama xml xorg xulrunner xv xvid xvmc zlib" ALSA_CARDS="intel8x0" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CAMERAS="ptp2" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en_US en" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="intel"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

jba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jba wrote:
Yep, that did it. Thanks adobe!!

Meh, i lied! Still having same problem with the latest build. Seems to take a touch longer, but maybe it was just luck.
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can add me to the list as well. Currently running Flash 10.0.22.87
What I've done until now is restart alsa...which then killed FF.
I've never timed how long it takes before the audio stops working, but I'm sure we're dealing with the same issue here. VERY annoying.

Found something that appears to be working so far:
Create a file called rc in ~/.mozilla/firefox that contains, FIREFOX_DSP=auto
restart firefox.

This had the immediate affect of getting my sound going again w/o doing ANYTHING else. Now it's just a waiting game to see how long it last.
ck42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So much for that. Back to no audio again.
Shades3D
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem has existed for a long time now. I've had it across several gentoo installs. I haven't tested it with other browsers other than firefox, but it does happen to me. Though sometimes instead of no sound, it seems the sound gets stuck (like you'll hear a repeating bit of sound instead of no sound at all). Its happened on several versions of firefox, several versions of Alsa, and several versions of flash with several kernels. I'm not at home to put my configuration in the collection, but figured I'd add my hat to the people having the problem. :)
hunky
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here forever. If firefox runs awhile, then it begins slowing down. Not sure it is related to flash, but could be. But when I click on close tab, it takes several seconds. If I backspace on some typed text, it hesitates. Videos quit working and sound from them goes into a weird staccato. (Not sure if problem exists without trying to play a video or not - I could explore that a bit.) Running latest netscape-flash in portage. Keep hoping on version upgrades problem would eventually go away, but never has.
burmashave
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled upon this thread while looking for something else. (I'm working on an IDE tape drive issue. One may question the forum search function.) I have the same problem using Firefox, Flash and ALSA, and I've had it across two Gentoo installations. I figgured it was some sort of config that I had messed up.
fwmartin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having this problem too. I've found a quick way to get sound working again after it messes up.

In firefox disable flash (tools -> add - ons -> plugins) and then enable it again. You'll probably need to reload the flash pages after that.
shira
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've also experienced those symptoms. To me, they seem to be isolated to the 10.x series, although I'm not positive. When I'm at work, my RHEL5 workstation (with flash 10.something) gets about 6 hours of working sound before I'm forced to restart FF. When I tried using the 10.x series at home (on my Gentoo workstation), it was more like 8 working hours.

I've stuck to using the 9.x version for now, hoping that Adobe gets their act together eventually.
lordcris
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this thing happens to me too.
but restarting firefox alone doesn't help.
i have to restart also thunderbird, skype, deluge or mplayer.
sometimes mplayer hangs while playing some trailer and i have to kill it manually to get youtube working again.
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwmartin wrote:
I've been having this problem too. I've found a quick way to get sound working again after it messes up.

In firefox disable flash (tools -> add - ons -> plugins) and then enable it again. You'll probably need to reload the flash pages after that.

Thanks. This seems to work & there's a lot less collateral damage with this method than the one I've been using before:
  • Close Firefox (send TERM if it doesn't close on its own)
  • restart ALSA (and hope that other programs like VirtualBox or acroread doesn't also die).
defenderBG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acroread? why should it? I use kpdf, so I am not too sure if a pdf reader needs a sound service...
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

defenderBG wrote:
acroread? why should it? I use kpdf, so I am not too sure if a pdf reader needs a sound service...

I'm not sure why, but since my work frequently requires me to read some PDF document or another, I often have acroread open. It usually dies whenever I restart ALSA. It might just be the same high-quality Adobe programming that's causing us to post on this thread...

Correction: Looking through the menu options for acroread it appears that acroread has a "Read Out Loud" feature.
MCUnable
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fwmartin wrote:

Glad I finally came across this thread... I've been resolving this issue by restarting Firefox for MONTHS! Thanks for the less-painful work-around. 8O

Has anyone come up with a root cause for this issue yet? I see that it's been some time since the last post in this thread.

Thanks again!
robinmarlow
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got the same problem. flash 10.0.22.87 on opera or firefox using alsa only gives no sound after a few hours.
restarting firefox/opera resets the problem for the next few hours then it restarts.

guess this is what proprietary software does for you.

Robin
the_enigma
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing here, running 10.0.22.87 as well.

Also, does anyone else get that odd 1-2 pixel wide window? It's another flash-related problem, opening FF and viewing a page with Flash gives me a very thin window up in the top-left corner of the screen. Currently it has a width of 2, and a height of 796. I can't seem to move or resize it though, and I have no idea if it effects performance (as it only shows up with Firefox running, and disappears when Firefox closes.
jchau
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the_enigma wrote:
Also, does anyone else get that odd 1-2 pixel wide window?

I haven't seen this problem.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: