Gentoo on Sun Blade100: freezes while booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jogi-v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on Sun Blade100: freezes while booting Reply with quote

I am trying to install gentoo on a sun blade 100. now that i'm finished compiling and trying to boot my new kernel, i got the next problem. everytime i try to boot my new system the boot proces freezes at the message "console handover: boot [earlyprom0] -> real [tty0]" (or i just can't see it anymore because something with the conosole is wrong).
I had to boot the livecd with the option "video=atyfb:off".
Does anybody have a solution idea for my problem?
Atha
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Similar problem on Power Mac G5 Reply with quote

I have a similar problem on my Power Mac G5 "Late 2005" with the upgraded graphics card ATI Radeon X1900 Mac Edition (PCIe).

Right after the "console handover: boot [udbg0] -> real [tty0]" the display freezes. Only that I'm completely bind, but otherwise the boot up seems to be fine. I can login (blindly) and then type something useful, like "dmesg > /dmesg_brokenvideo" followed by "reboot", and after successfully booting with the LiveCD (Gentoo 2008.0 PPC) I can check the file /dmesg_brokenvideo.
Nothing unusual, except:
Code:
Using unsupported 640x480 ATY,Prionace_B at 9c008000, depth=8, pitch=768
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /pci@0,f0000000/ATY,PrionaceParent@0/ATY,Prionace_B@1

I've tried "video=radeonfb" and "video=ofonly" and "video=videofb" and "video=offb" and what the hell... no change in the kernel behaviour.

The kernel is a 2.6.30-gentoo-r4 with the default g5_defconfig, I didn't dare to make any changes to this configuration.

When I boot from the Gentoo LiveCD, kernel 2.4.25-gentoo-r3-G5, I get this:
Code:
Using unsupported 1680x1050 ATY,Prionace_A at 98008000, depth=8, pitch=1792
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 210x65
fb0: Open Firmware frame buffer devive on /pci@0,f0000000/ATY,PrionaceParent@0/ATY,Prionace_A@0
Using unsupported 640x480 ATY,Prionace_B at 9c008000, depth=8, pitch=768
fb1: Open Firmware frame buffer device on /pci@0,f0000000/ATY,PrionaceParent@0/ATY,Prionace_B@1

I've now copied this kernel from the LiveCD to the hard disk to be able to boot the installed Gentoo system with this kernel.

That's something you could try too: start from the LiveCD with the working video kernel command line, then copy the kernel from the LiveCD to your boot partition. Don't forget to copy the modules in /lib/modules/<kernel-version> to your root partition's /lib/modules. Then set the correct parameter, video=atyfb:off, to boot the LiveCD's kernel from the hard disk. That way you will at least be able to set up your system aside from the kernel configuration. That is, provided that this procedure works for you.

As for my own display problem: any clues? Anyone?
jogi-v
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's useful to know, that i am using a "Sun Expert 3D" graphics card in my Blade.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: