Setting up a gateway
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarrylMillar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Setting up a gateway Reply with quote

Okay, I'll explain what I need to do, and I'm hoping that there is someone out there who can tell me what I need, and if possible how to set it up.

I have a computer running gentoo that connects to the internet on eth0. It has another NIC in it at eth1. I want eth1 to be used to create a basic router. I'll also need to map a few ports to the outside world.

The other thing I want to setup is an internal domain. There will be 3 computers behind it, and I want to name each one, and put them on a domain name that is not actually registered.

I know how to do all these things on Windows with RRAS and the DNS service and nice quick and easy GUI tools :)

I'm just going to install gentoo on it tonight using the new 2 LiveCD set. So, if someone can help me out, I would be very very appreciative.

Thank you in advance.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a real quick way to do this with linux take a look at coyote linux... or simialr distributions..

if u want to do this with gentoo - u will have to do some reading - but basically u need to 'emerge dhcp', 'emerge iptables' compile NAT (aka masquerading) into your kernel and set up NAT with the iptables...
DarrylMillar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, okay, well the gateway computer will recieve some light use as an internet browsing computer :) or else I would use Coyote Linux.

Does the new LiveCD's GenKernel utility compile Masquerading into the kernel or as a module by default?
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrylMillar wrote:
Does the new LiveCD's GenKernel utility compile Masquerading into the kernel or as a module by default?

i dont know - never used it, but i recommend not to use it for this - genkernel is a bit buggy and doing something with iptables can be tricky enough...

if u want general information on how to work with iptables go to http://tldp.org and search for the NAT or masquerding howto there - it a good introduction and not too long - u can ask specific questions here then...

if u manage to stay specific with your questions, chances are good that we can talk you through this setup :) - might be a tough ride though...
DarrylMillar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, but, I'm just curious now, does the Gentoo-Source package contain the IPTABLES and whatnot sources within? And I can simply activate them for compilation with the 'make menuconfig' command?

Basically, I guess I'm asking if Gentoo-Sources is MASQ ready.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont know exactly about the live cds but iptables is a standard prog - i bet its there - if not u can download it...

u are mixing up two things...

'make menuconfig' lets u choose things the kernel of your system should be able to do... to use it, u need the programm iptables...

an example - u compile support for hmm - usb into the kernel - u will still need some tools to actuall use the kernel support - the kernel itself just provides the possibility - hope this clears it up a little bit...

if this is your very first time with linux, i have to warn you: gentoo is not for the faint of heart ;) - it can get pretty tough if u dont know your way in linux, but for most people the install guide works without problems - i guess its a question of luck and how much time u have...

[EDIT] short version:

yes gentoo is MASQ ready - you are in the linux world - u can if u want to ;)
DarrylMillar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is not my first time with linux, I've been using Gentoo for a while, and other distros before, but this is my first time trying to do this.

The gentoo install works perfectly, I'm just wondering what I need to do extra to setup MASQ.

Okay, It appears I'm confusing myself as well as you. lol...

I should emerge iptables before I compile my kernel? Is this what you're saying?

I'm at the stage in the install where it comes time to build the kernel.

What I'm wondering is: should I complete the install and get the system running, then worry about IPTABLES, or is this something that I should do during the initial install... Installing IPTABLES, I mean
DarrylMillar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, this is what I've done. In the CHROOT the Gentoo install uses, I emerged gentoo-sources, then iptables. In the menuconfig, I enabled all the options that Gentoo needs, as well as all of the ones that the NAT/MASQ howto needs. It's compiling as of now.
slartibartfasz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great - next thing is configuring the forwarding - there are some threads here in the forums i think, or you could proceed to follow the tldp guide - if u got this, set up the dhcp server, so that your internal boxes get an ip and you are finished 8)
Eriador
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if i set a computer up in this manner, will i be able to control how the bandwith are distributed between the client computers?

Mvh Eriador
Eriador
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just ignore that....
seems my question doesn't belong here, found som info though :)
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/index.html

Mvh Eriador
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: