crossdev targeting darwin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gagern
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: crossdev targeting darwin Reply with quote

I think it would be great if Gentoo users could use crossdev in order to compile sources for apple darwin targets. Preferrably the resulting compiler should support fat (i.e. universal) binaries, which run on ppc, i386 and x86_64, but even a cross toolchain for a single target would be great. One possible application would be to provide java native (JNI) code for a multitude of platforms, while keeping the build process on a single (Gentoo) system.

I read somewhere that while gcc itself supports the required targets, Gnu binutils does not. So one would probably either have to improve/patch binutils, or use tools provided by Apple. It seems that many of the tools involved in building darwin are available from http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/, so using those might be possible, given enough hacking.

In the long run, I might end up writing the required ebuilds and pushing them towards the Gentoo developers. In the short run, however, I'm more interested in gathering information and fellow developers. So if you know about any cross-toolchain HowTo targeting Darwin, or any previous or current attempt to teach crossdev how to target darwin, or any other information useful to the cause, let me know here. If you are interested in progress, monitor this thread. If you want to help, state this below.
KWhat
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late than never? I put one together a few moths back that uses clang. It requires some crossdev patches and some overlay ebuilds. Everything should be available from the overlay.

https://github.com/kwhat/crossdev-apple-overlay
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: