14%  [ 51 ]
As long as I can install it the classical way I don't care what newbies do
64%
 64%  [ 232 ]
Total Votes : 357

paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Genkernel - blessing or curse? Reply with quote

I'm seeing a lot of pissy newbies getting mad because genkernel doesn't work for them. This is exactly the problem I feared with all the talk about people wanting to turn Gentoo into an automated installation and have the kernel configured for them. If this trend continues we're going to turn into another distro were people don't really know what they're doing. It's great that people are flocking to try Gentoo but I think we should keep the integrity with which it started and not fall down a slippery slope towards automation. It can be a challenge installing Gentoo but that's the point. It's a learning experience and I think you should learn how to compile and configure a kernel if you are going to use Linux, especially Gentoo. All this griping about "wah, gentoo blows dood, the kernel doesn't work, blah" gets on my nerves, sorry for the rant.

What do you seasoned users think?
ruronikenshin83
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think genkernel is a good idea for newbies.

I know I feared playing around with my kernel when I started out, and it is rather frustrating to go through all of the installation procedures so nicely laid out by Gentoo Documentation and then realize that you can't boot because you foobar'd your kernel.

So I guess its ok, but I'm never gonna use it.

Also, in the tradition of Gentoo, it's nice that people have options if they don't feel like compiling the kernel themselves...
jsleeper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of genkernel, though i would never now use it. I've been using Gentoo for about 7 months now, and before that I used another Linux and never before configured and compiled my own kernel. That was the largest hurdle for me - configuring the kernel so that it's right for me and my machine... Because of my willingness to learn more and perserverence through the install and kernel compile, I now know SO much more than I used to - it just might not be a hurdle that some people would like to leap when learning LInux (esp if this is their first try at it). Some people would be happy with a pre-configured kernel forever; others will catch the 'gentoo bug' and end up compiling their own kernels when they learn more.

$0.02
joe

Paranode - i like your sig... i only drive manual trannies, and i've always thought of it the same way.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no problem whatsoever in attempting to broaden the user base of Gentoo by reaching out to less technically inclined people so long as the core ideas behind Gentoo remain. If it is difficult for you or anyone else to deal with these 'pissy newbies,' I would recommend that you don't deal with them. That is the beauty of a volunteer support forum. The people who want to help can help. Also, everyone receiving help is getting it from someone who wants to help. Personally, I would much rather not get help if it's forced help since that is, in fact, rarely helpful.
paranode
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
I see no problem whatsoever in attempting to broaden the user base of Gentoo by reaching out to less technically inclined people so long as the core ideas behind Gentoo remain. If it is difficult for you or anyone else to deal with these 'pissy newbies,' I would recommend that you don't deal with them. That is the beauty of a volunteer support forum. The people who want to help can help. Also, everyone receiving help is getting it from someone who wants to help. Personally, I would much rather not get help if it's forced help since that is, in fact, rarely helpful.

I want to help them learn about Linux, and how to compile a kernel. I have no problem when they say, "Hey I have a kernel panic, this is the error, what should I change in the config?". Instead now the questions are like "Hey this sucks, genkernel is broken, please fix it.".

What can a volunteer supporter do about the fact that genkernel doesn't work for everyone? I'd much rather help them learn about kernels. I think a document on how to configure your kernel would be many times more valuable than this genkernel.
scriptkiddie
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with paranode.. I want to help people learn how to do things, but when all they can do is complain about how it doens't work and they need it working now, what reason do we have to help them?

I personally have not used genkernel but I like the Idea behind it for newbies, I guess what I am saying is whatever helps get more people using gentoo is good, but there have to be limits for how much people can complain about the same thing.
jsleeper
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
Personally, I would much rather not get help if it's forced help since that is, in fact, rarely helpful.

That would be a good quote for the GWN...

There are pros and cons to the genkernel, but in my opinion, it's good for it to be there. That is if it works and it's not the ONLY option available.

joe
sephtin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's so bad about a little automation?
I can't imagine emerge -U world has always been perfect.. *shrug*.

I always script the kernel build. Just kick it off, and I'm off to bed.
Next morning, I rename my old kernel, copy the new one to /boot, and reboot... *shrug*

Two things I wish would have been done differently:
1) they didn't try to make a drastic change using init.rd.
2) They wouldn't have replaced the standard kernel config file with the one mod'ed to be more like the boot disk. I back mine up, but was shocked that simply emerging genkernel overwrote my kernel config file
:x

In the long run, it will make life easier... just getting over the "Change is BAD" is the toughest part.

I also agree that it shouldn't be the *only* option available. Taking away the ability to compile your own kernel doesn't seem to be very gentoo'ish.
;)
John
Bonkie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my opinion: its a nice and useful tool, but I'll never use it though.
Liathus
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think genkernel is a usefull tool. I prefer to make my own configs, but there are a lot of users out there that just want it to work. In my opinion thats ok. We don't want to scare users off before they even get the os installed do we?

I think that the installation of a OS, any OS, should be as simple as possible. That doesn't mean that it can have advanced features. It just means that it shouldn't be difficult for someone with little or no knowledge of the system to get it installed.

Once they get the system up and running they will still have plenty of learning to do. Plus they might just decide to go back and install things the hard way to get better performance.

So my opinion is anything that makes it easier is good... as long as it doesn't take away my ability to do things differently!
Mystilleef
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gents,

I'm indifferent about genkernel. However, I do agree that every GNU/Linux home user should learn how to compile the kernel. I mean, come on, it's the heart of GNU/Linux.

The current ignorant trend arising, where computer users should be able to use a computer without any knowledge about computers is hurtful not helpful. Education and knowledge about computers and their operations should be promoted not inhibited.

Regards,

Mystilleef

"My logic is undeniable."
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that linux is about choice.......as long as genkernel doesn't stop me compiling my own in the manner i've been doing for the last year, i don't mind.

However, Gentoo is pulling in a lot of newbies these days and some aren't prepared to put the work in. Personally i believe that someone who just whinges that 'genkernel is sh*t' probably wouldn't react any differently to a failed manual kernel compile.

Having n00bs who don't like the idea of having to learn is a reality we have to live with :?

My advice? Help people who want to be helped.......people who are serious about wanting to use Gentoo will 'get over themselves' and understand the learning curve involved. The rest will fade away back to windows/mandrake/redhat until such time as they want to try again and hopefully have a more humble attitude!

We all know what a good reputation these support forums have.......i don't see why the arrival of a lot of newbies should change that.

If we promote (as we already do) the do-it-by-hand-you'll-learn-more approach to the youngsters it'll rub off on them. In fact i can testify that it happened to me a little bit. I installed using stage3 and didn't set any use flags or cflags......after a few months of absorbing 'gentoo culture' i was eager to re-install with all my new knowledge. Now i love a good session of hacking my gentoo box 8)

Just my slightly sleepy opinion :wink:
HeruNoleth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When first installing Gentoo and i had to, for the first time ever, configure my own kernel i really liked it because there is no bs about what is going on. You can see what you are doing and its not hidden in a lot af dumb questions.

But I see genkernel is a nice alternative. Not sure i would use it though. If people wish to be helped during the config stage I totally understand, its always hard the first time!
Sings to its own harm.
sephtin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Having n00bs who don't like the idea of having to learn is a reality we have to live with

My advice? Help people who want to be helped.......people who are serious about wanting to use Gentoo will 'get over themselves' and understand the learning curve involved. The rest will fade away back to windows/mandrake/redhat until such time as they want to try again and hopefully have a more humble attitude!

I guess I should have guessed that this topic would turn towards an ignorance vs "do it the hard way" discussion.
I just want to throw in another perspective.

My situation:
I don't have hours to sit in front of the computer like I used to. I often work 10 hour days, and by the time I get home, eat a meal and relax, I only have an hour or two of free time. I've got the "Honey-Do" list to think about, which leaves minimal time for messing with the computer.
If a new kernel comes out that has better APM support, or is more efficient, or includes additional patches that I want, or ... , I would prefer to configure the kernel (menuconfig), and have the rest of the steps (make dep, make ..., etc.) done for me. Of course I want the ability to do it myself, and I'd be shocked if genkernel took that ability away. But wouldn't it be nice to run one command and have it done automagically?!? For this reason, I'm all for GenKernel

I'm not in the category of "not wanting to learn". I'm in the category of "I'm tired of spending what little free time I have maintaining/updating/and hacking on, rather than USING" my computer!
(don't get me wrong. I love troubleshooting a good grub problem, or a failed kernel compile just as much as the next guy... but when it keeps me up 'till 4(or 5, or 7 ;) (which is common) and I have to work at 8, it becomes the root cause of a problem that caffiene is becoming less and less a resolution for. :)

I guess my point is kind of... Just because we want newbies to learn how to do it the "Right Way (TM)", doesn't mean that those who have different needs for automation should suffer. For some people the advantages of doing it "the hard way" don't outweigh the disadvantages.

Just as an FYI- I currently script the process, but I see GenKernel as being something positive to look forward to. It would standardize the process for kernel compile on Gentoo (consistancy), (hopefully) keep logs of the process, save time, and maybe help a newbie that will make it past the kernel compile step rather than getting frustrated and putting the windohs CD back in!

I am having troubles seeing the disadvantages to having it available as another option? Is it just me?
John
trajedi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeruNoleth wrote:
When first installing Gentoo and i had to, for the first time ever, configure my own kernel i really liked it because there is no bs about what is going on. You can see what you are doing and its not hidden in a lot af dumb questions.

same here.. yes it was a little trouble glad for forums (and 2nd comp ha)..but in the long run you have a nice and fast system not just a generic here it's installed haha.. genkernel is ok but even tho i am a n00b to linux i wanna learn it the hard way otherwise i won't learn nor understand what is going on..
Raoul_Duke
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sensible answer to this riddle has to be......new ideas are always worth trying as long as the old way of doing it is still available.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sephtin wrote:
I'm not in the category of "not wanting to learn". I'm in the category of "I'm tired of spending what little free time I have maintaining/updating/and hacking on, rather than USING" my computer!
I totally agree. Ironically, this is why many people started using gentoo in the first place. RPM hell was taking too much time to mess with. I am a little unsure as to why anyone would take serious issue with genkernel. It's another choice we have now. Isn't choice a good thing?
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo IMO is a distro for power users, people wanting to learn about how the system works and why. Lots of Linux newbie are attracted to Gentoo because of the praises it gets from the power users. Most of these newbies (seen as they have never used Linux much before), want an easy ride and want to start enjoying all the things Gentoo has been praised for, straight away. Well, I'm sorry it just doesn't work like that.. or atleast shouldn't.

I think genkernel was a bad idea because it's making Gentoo available to newbies who are unwilling or don't have the urge to learn. I'm not trying to say Gentoo isn't a distro for newbies, I'm saying is not a distro for newbies who want Linux up and running, no questions asked. Newbies willing and wanting to learn would not complain about kernel configuration.

Thats the way I see it anyway :)
fbreuer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have compiled a kernel or two in my time as a GNU/Linux user but I cannot say that I have mastered the process. Each time it took me a very long time of research and guesswork to find out which options I need to select to get my system running and to keep the kernel from panicking.

I also have to say: I didn't learn very much in the process of compiling a kernel by hand, much less than I learn solving other gentoo problems. The reasons for this are:
    The description of the kernel options is not very telling. I do not know what many kernel options mean or how to find that out. I am not that much of a n00b though, I do know my way around a computer and GNU/Linux, generally. But the kernel options (with gentoo-sources) are very particular, very detailed, so that in many cases I am hard pressed to even make an (un)educated guess. Lacking the documentation to look all the options up, I find it difficult to "educate" myself and compiling a kernel becomes a long process of trial and error.
    Often, I have no way of deducing from my background knowledge how to get a specific feature working. For example, if I want to get my IDE CD burner working there is no way to "guess" that I have to activate SCSI emulation. I just have to "know". That would be okay, if I knew a canonical place to start looking for answers to "How do I enable feature XY?"-types of questions. But I don't. And having to search the forums anew for every single piece of hardware I want to support is inefficient.
So how does this relate to genkernel? Well, I have not tried genkernel though I definitely will. But what I would find far more useful than a script which automates kernel-generation is a single document which explains at least one but preferrably both of the following:
    What does each of the (most common) kernel options mean?
    More importantly: If I want feature XY, what options do I have to enable (and why)?
Such a piece of documentation would make compiling a kernel less daunting and more educational. (More gentooish so to speak :wink:) Who can tell me where to find such a document? Alternatively: Who will help me write one?
Chiron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:

I think genkernel was a bad idea because it's making Gentoo available to newbies who are unwilling or don't have the urge to learn. I'm not trying to say Gentoo isn't a distro for newbies, I'm saying is not a distro for newbies who want Linux up and running, no questions asked. Newbies willing and wanting to learn would not complain about kernel configuration.

Well, there can't be all that many people who look to gentoo as a distro that gets them up and running immediately a la Red Hat et al; those who try Gentoo thinking that experience will happen for them are bound to be disappointed if they are not willing to invest time to learn the way Gentoo works. Not to mention they must not have reall researched Gentoo at all before coming to that conclusion.

If newbies are truly unwilling or disinclined to learn, then they will abandon Gentoo in a hurry; Gentoo is hands on, whether it has a prebuilt / preconfigured kernel or not. So if genkernel provides a way for linux newbies to begin the process of learning the ins and outs of linux without frustrating them immediately with the complexities of kernel configuration, that would be a good thing.

As far as people using genkernel getting to enjoy all the benefits of Gentoo as an easy ride, I don't think those people will notice the same things that causes power users to praise Gentoo. At that point either they will takes steps to learn how to improve their performance, or move on to try some other solutions touted as the computing panacea. And more power to them in their quest if they continue to look for a quick fix. Those of us that are taking the time to learn are reaping those rewards, and perhaps that is the message that should be made clear to first time Gentoo installers.
Chiron
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fbreuer wrote:
But what I would find far more useful than a script which automates kernel-generation is a single document which explains at least one but preferrably both of the following:
    More importantly: If I want feature XY, what options do I have to enable (and why)?
Such a piece of documentation would make compiling a kernel less daunting and more educational. (More gentooish so to speak :wink:) Who can tell me where to find such a document? Alternatively: Who will help me write one?

Kernel Howto (Configuration) is where you can find such a document.

The Linux Documentation Project, a great clearing house of Linux information, howtos, guides, etc.

While none of it is Gentoo-specific, the information there is fantastic.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

port001 wrote:
Gentoo IMO is a distro for power users, people wanting to learn about how the system works and why.
This is true. Gentoo is a distro for power users and that will not change. However, I don't think that it should be a distro for elitists. I also don't think that being a distro for power users precludes it from also being a distro for newbies. You are free to disagree with me, but I'm curious as to why these two things cannot co-exist.

No one is at your house, banging on your door, asking why you have not used genkernel. It's simply an option you have. No one is withholding your paycheck because you don't want to answer newbie questions about genkernel. You don't have to do this either, but it's also an option that you have should you want to answer such questions.
ctenet
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of genkernel is good, but I like having more control.
If it helps newbies, it should stay, but remove support for the "classical" way and count me out.
I like Linux distros being appealing to newbies, though I don't think Gentoo is that kind.
Kernel configuration can be intimidating exen to semi-experienced users.
I was always afraid to do it until a few weeks ago (I've been using GNU/Linux (mainly Red Hat) for three years.), when friend of installed Gentoo for me.
I paid close attention and realized it isn't so hard.
I've probably compiled the kernel about 10 times since, tweaking it more and more, and adding new features to experiment with.
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
No one is at your house, banging on your door, asking why you have not used genkernel. It's simply an option you have. No one is withholding your paycheck because you don't want to answer newbie questions about genkernel. You don't have to do this either, but it's also an option that you have should you want to answer such questions.

Yes, I know it doesn't affect me directly, but I believe it does affect the type of users in the Gentoo community, which I might add is a huge part of Gentoo's success. I don't have to answer them, but that doesn't mean they can't be damaging to the community if a large amount of posts from newbies are complaints because something didn't work the way they expected, and ofcourse they have no idea why..... genkernel.

I also agree with paranode's referal to the 'slippery slope'.
fbreuer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiron wrote:
fbreuer wrote:
But what I would find far more useful than a script which automates kernel-generation is a single document which explains at least one but preferrably both of the following:

Kernel Howto (Configuration) is where you can find such a document.

The information there is not what I am looking for. The Kernel Howto explains a lot about patching and compiling the kernel, the files involved, the boot process, the concept of modules and has a troubleshooting section. However, it does not explain the individual options found when configuring the kernel, nor does it offer concise explanations how to add a certian feature:
if want USB support I have to check the USB Howto, if I have a CD burner I have to search for info about "burning CD's under Linux", if I want setup a gateway I have to find a Howto on IP-masquerading, etc. etc.

The LDP is certainly a great place to start looking. However, IMHO, the answers to "which options do I need to compile into my kernel?" questions are scattered. It takes a long time find them and I would rather spend that time understanding them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: