taking forever to emerge kde
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zipdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: taking forever to emerge kde Reply with quote

First off - day 7 trying to get Gentoo up.
ran through process 3 times with the first cd1.iso, then saw post for bug fix so dl second cd1.iso.

first run through day 5 - started yesterday @ about 1200 pst.
emerge kde - what I thought was goind to be from hd after doing the cp to portage, but the command was incorrect in the instructions! arrrrggg!

anyhow - anybody taking as long as I am to just to emerge kde? I'm on about hour number 14.5?

watching the words go by, and some of them concern me, but I'm optimistic. when it started total to emerge was 108. 8O

just curious. no problems yet - but I'm sure it won't work, just like the last 3 times. :cry:

Mandrake installed in less than 20 minutes and even moved my windows partitions for me - but I WANT GENTOO.
dolbz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Gentoo is not Mandrake. Mandrake uses precompiled packages which were built on some computer somewhere else and so are not optimised for your PC. Gentoo builds all the packages from source unless you choose not to for the installation and so if it is configured right you will have a personalised and optimised package for your pc.

2. Kde will and does take a long time to build. 108 packages is quite a lot though and it might include gnome libraries such as gtk and other gnome stuff (well I had these trying to be installed in my installation don't ask me why for kde). If you wanted to not include these you should add -gtk -gtk2 -gnome to your USE variable. If the compile isn't nearing the end of its journey then kill it by pressing Ctrl-C and then use the command:

Code:

USE="-gtk -gtk2 -gnome" emerge kde

and the compilation will continue with from where it left off but with the gnome bits.

Hope that helps.

Dolbz
zipdog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I set the USE to exactly what you had.

thx for the reply. just wondering if it was normal to take so long.

I did learn in a couple of other posts the emerge -k should have been -K to get from portage i copied from CD to HD.

live and learn, huh. I can't wait to get this sucker working and start learning linux stuff.

if I kill it, do i use the emerge -K kde? is that faster?

thanks again man.
atac
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dolbz wrote:
/--/ gnome libraries such as gtk and other gnome stuff (well I had these trying to be installed in my installation don't ask me why for kde). /--/

you don't happend to have cups in your USE flag ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: