xine/amarok problem with flac [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
indietrash
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: xine/amarok problem with flac [SOLVED] Reply with quote

hi,

not sure where to put this but,

whenever playing flacs with amarok (1.x) the files start playing at random times (e.g. 0:40 instead of 0:00). I am using the xine engine. what may be the possible cause of this? faulty xine engine or faulty amarok? can I change amarok to use gstreamer? is there a particular xine-lib I should be using? I currently have 1.1.16.1.

EDIT:
after trying and failing a bit, using xine-lib 1.1.15-r1 proved to be a great success! :)
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Amarok skips the first few seconds of each track Reply with quote

Amarok is droping the first 10 seconds or so of each new track. Currently using amarok-1.4.10-r2. I haven't used amarok on this machine in some time so I don't have a clear idea of when it broke.

I did some searching and found mentions from 2007 to a similar problem, involving the fuse filesystem. I am not using fuse, the music is on a xfs filesystem on its own dedicated partition.

Any ideas? If I can get some time later I'll try merging the earlier versions see if I can find the update that broke it. Meanwhile I can use audacious, which is funny, because a while ago I had started using amarok when audacious broke, and now the roles are reversed. :)

[Aside, if I may engage in a small rant, not directed at anyone in particular: What is it with linux audio and why, after more than a decade of development, is there still such a problem with sound? Every month or two something breaks. Then sometime later it gets fixed. But then something else breaks, and so on and so on. Whether it is one or more of the players - I have amarok, audacious, alsaplayer and snd's 'play' all installed and it is rare for all of them to work at any given time - or problems with dmix, or a crappy sample rate converter, or stuttering and dropouts, or problems with realtime and jack, the list is long and there doesn't seem to be any overall convergence to a working whole despite a lot of churn in the code.]
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem with flac tracks (intermittently) when xine-lib updated to 1.1.16. Backing off to 1.1.15 fixed it.
Akkara
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! I was about to try your suggestion but then noticed that only media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.16.3 shows up on a equery -p. I remember reading about a attic somewhere with old ebuilds. Any pointers where I might find it?
Section_8
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like the attic for xine-lib: http://sources.gentoo.org/viewcvs.py/gentoo-x86/media-libs/xine-lib/?hideattic=0
By the way, this is the xine bug: http://bugs.xine-project.org/show_bug.cgi?id=196
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a couple months old, but I recently started having this problem as well. Unfortunately, everything older than xine-lib-1.1.16.3 has already been removed from portage, so falling back to 1.1.15 isn't an option for me. Have you found a workaround for this for version 1.1.16? Or have you just not upgraded? Also, is anyone else having this problem?

The odd thing is that I only have this issue when using Amarok. Playing FLAC files directly in Xine works fine. Also, playing files in Audacious or any other media player works fine. I just tried rebuilding Amarok to make sure there was no funny library linkage going on, but that didn't help. I'm all out of ideas at this point.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
szachy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem. Upgreading today amarok to svn version fix the problem for me.
jackhole
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The xine backend amarok 1.x uses has known-buggy FLAC seeking code. The only work-around is adding seek tables to your unseekable flacs.
nitro322
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jackhole wrote:
The xine backend amarok 1.x uses has known-buggy FLAC seeking code. The only work-around is adding seek tables to your unseekable flacs.

Thanks. This is the first I've seen mention of this, though it really doesn't surprise as I've been having various types of problems with Amarok playing FLAC files for a couple years. Is there any specific documentation or bugs or anything like that regarding this issue? I'm curious to see what explanation (if any) has been given for Amarok's poor support of FLAC when Xine itself (plus everything else I try) works perfectly fine. I'm also curious to see if and how they address it in v2.

Last edited by nitro322 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:32 am; edited 2 times in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem also exists with amarok:2 btw. Not solved for me.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
Problem also exists with amarok:2 btw. Not solved for me.
Check your flac file if they have seekpoints
Code:
metaflac --list <flac file>
If they don't have seekpoints, then add some seekpoints
Code:
metaflac --preserve-modtime --add-seekpoint=15x <flac file>

asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert here but isn't this supposed to work without seekpoints? I create all my flac files with "flac -8" and thought that would suffice.

EDIT: The files do have seekpoints.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

genstorm wrote:
I'm no expert here but isn't this supposed to work without seekpoints? I create all my flac files with "flac -8" and thought that would suffice.

EDIT: The files do have seekpoints.
Then I can't say why they aren't working. I personally have never encountered problems with playing flac files via amarok-1 or 2. I once noticed that I could not seek in the file and then adding seekpoints fixed those problems too. My USE flags (if they can help you):
Code:
~> eix -erI '(xine-lib|amarok|flac)'
[I] media-libs/flac
     Available versions:  1.2.1-r1 ~1.2.1-r2!t 1.2.1-r3 {3dnow altivec cxx debug doc ogg sse}
     Installed versions:  1.2.1-r3(02:17:36 AM 05/11/2009)(cxx ogg sse -3dnow -altivec -debug -doc)
     Homepage:            http://flac.sourceforge.net
     Description:         free lossless audio encoder and decoder

[I] media-libs/xine-lib
     Available versions:  (1)  1.1.16.3
   {X a52 aac aalib alsa altivec arts directfb dts dvd dxr3 esd fbcon flac gnome gtk imagemagick ipv6 jack libcaca mad mmap mng modplug musepack nls opengl oss pulseaudio real samba sdl speex theora truetype v4l vcd vidix vis vorbis wavpack win32codecs xcb xinerama xv xvmc}
     Installed versions:  1.1.16.3(1)(10:38:12 AM 05/11/2009)(X a52 aac alsa dts dvd fbcon flac gtk mad mmap mng modplug musepack nls opengl oss sdl speex theora truetype v4l vorbis win32codecs xcb xinerama xv xvmc -aalib -altivec -arts -directfb -dxr3 -esd -gnome -imagemagick -ipv6 -jack -libcaca -pulseaudio -real -samba -vcd -vidix -vis -wavpack)
     Homepage:            http://xine.sourceforge.net
     Description:         Core libraries for Xine movie player

[I] media-sound/amarok
     Available versions: 
   (0)   1.4.10-r2 (~)1.4.10-r3 (~)1.4.10_p20090130-r1
   (3.5)   (~)1.4.10_p20090130-r2
   (2)   (~)2.0.2[1] (~)2.0.2-r2 (~)2.0.2-r3 (~)2.0.90-r1[1] (~)2.0.96-r1[1]
   {amazon cdaudio daap debug elibc_FreeBSD gtk ifp ipod kde linguas_af linguas_ar linguas_az linguas_be linguas_bg linguas_bn linguas_br linguas_ca linguas_cs linguas_csb linguas_cy linguas_da linguas_de linguas_el linguas_en_GB linguas_eo linguas_es linguas_et linguas_eu linguas_fa linguas_fi linguas_fr linguas_ga linguas_gl linguas_he linguas_hi linguas_hu linguas_id linguas_is linguas_it linguas_ja linguas_km linguas_ko linguas_ku linguas_lo linguas_lt linguas_lv linguas_mk linguas_ms linguas_nb linguas_nds linguas_ne linguas_nl linguas_nn linguas_oc linguas_pa linguas_pl linguas_pt linguas_pt_BR linguas_ro linguas_ru linguas_rw linguas_se linguas_si linguas_sk linguas_sl linguas_sq linguas_sr linguas_sr@Latn linguas_ss linguas_sv linguas_ta linguas_tg linguas_th linguas_tr linguas_uk linguas_uz linguas_zh_CN linguas_zh_TW mp3tunes mp4 mtp musicbrainz mysql njb opengl postgres python real semantic-desktop visualization xinerama}
     Installed versions:  2.0.96-r1(2)[1](10:05:54 PM 05/14/2009)(gtk opengl -cdaudio -daap -debug -ipod -mp3tunes -mtp -semantic-desktop)
     Homepage:            http://amarok.kde.org/
     Description:         Advanced audio player based on KDE framework.

[I] media-sound/amarok-utils [1]
     Available versions:  (2)  (~)2.0.90 (~)2.0.96
   {debug}
     Installed versions:  2.0.96(2)(09:55:06 PM 05/14/2009)(-debug)
     Homepage:            http://amarok.kde.org/
     Description:         Variuos utility programs for Amarok.

[1] "myself" /usr/local/portage

Found 4 matches.

Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!
I stumbled over the same problem and got really desperate.
What temporarely fixed the problem is this:
Remove /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.26/xineplug_decode_ff.so.
Found here:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=254344
All I can say is, it works :)
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Merged in four posts and moved the result from Unsupported Software to Multimedia.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Amarok skips the first few seconds of each track Reply with quote

Akkara wrote:
[Aside, if I may engage in a small rant, not directed at anyone in particular: What is it with linux audio and why, after more than a decade of development, is there still such a problem with sound? Every month or two something breaks. Then sometime later it gets fixed. But then something else breaks, and so on and so on. Whether it is one or more of the players - I have amarok, audacious, alsaplayer and snd's 'play' all installed and it is rare for all of them to work at any given time - or problems with dmix, or a crappy sample rate converter, or stuttering and dropouts, or problems with realtime and jack, the list is long and there doesn't seem to be any overall convergence to a working whole despite a lot of churn in the code.]

It is a few years ago than I am using almost the same alsa configuration file. It is /etc/modprobe.d/alsa,conf. I change it only when I made some hardware change, or when I want to change the ALSA device order for the sound cards.

A very common mistake into this file is to forget the sound index= for the sound cards. Each card must have such an index option or, sooner or later, you will get in trouble.
You must also have "options snd cards_limit=n" where n is the actual number of sound cards. The details are in alsa-configuration.txt into the kernel sources.

With a correct /etc/modprobe.d/alsa,conf, the only reasons why ALSA will fail are bug or non existing driver for your hardware. All the other problems are, most of the time, not directly linked to ALSA.

Beside this, sound is linux is a big mess. Some desktop use they own sound server, and worst, Gnome started recently to force you to use pulseaudio. I think that this is a big mistake because ALSA+JACK+OSS is much simpler to setup and don't need a realtime kernel.

A realtime kernel is needed only if you want to make a pro-audio workstation. But in that case, you can forget to make reliable operations from server like applications (p2p, ...). A rt kernel is also not safe with gcc (even when emerge did the job done). That imply than you must use a double boot: one kernel, the rt, for the audio work. One kernel, a vanilla or gentoo-sources for portage, emerge and kernel compilation.

JACK is in fact simple to setup, most of the oss applications can be made to run with it, and all the JACK applications can be made to run with it. See http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/JACK.

I am using JACK from when it started. And this is really the best thing that happened to sound in linux. The actual sound mess in linux really upset me, because it would take much less time and efforts to improve the capabilities of ALSA + JACK than to develop the actual mess.

As example, netjack doesn't work will all the ALSA drivers. But netjack can even be used locally in order to archive multiple sound cards with JACK. It would be much more efficient to make netjack to work with all the alsa drivers, than to develop software so complicated to setup like pulseadio (which is also unusable in a pro-audio setup due to the added latency).
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martux wrote:
Hello!
Found here:

I can say this works to remove the flac skipping BUT it does not allow you to seek anymore.
Martux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regomodo wrote:

I can say this works to remove the flac skipping BUT it does not allow you to seek anymore.

For searching with the cursor keys you´re right, but I am still able to seek through a song with the mouse.
Better than not being able to listen to flacs, anyway. :roll:
regomodo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

regomodo wrote:
Martux wrote:
Hello!
Found here:

I take that back. Just checked to see if the lib is still not there (which it isn't) because I can seek flacs whilst not skipping. All's good!
BitJam
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This problem has reappeared in both amarok- 1.4.10_p20090130-r3 and amarok-2.2.0. I'm using xine-lib-1.1.16.3-r2 and have deleted (moved) /usr/lib/xine/plugins/1.26/xineplug_decode_ff.so.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.
dave_deu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject: Amarok 2.2.0 KDE 4.3.1 Reply with quote

I can second this. The problem is still here after all this time!!!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: