Building gentoo on a k6
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:22 am    Post subject: Building gentoo on a k6 Reply with quote

Hi, I want to build gentoo on my computer using gentoo 1.3b, gcc3.1. I looked in various forums but nobody seems to have completely optimized settings for the k6 processor.

Right now all I know is that since I only plan to run my code on my machine, I want it as fast as possible. I'm aiming for speed here! So in make.conf I took out mcpu=k6 and I changed march=k6 to march=k6-2 because I hear gcc3.1 works just great with that.

If anyone has any information that I could add to my make.conf I would really appreciate it. Maybe other people can use this post as a reference for optimizing their k6 processors in the future.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Building gentoo on a k6 Reply with quote

Erukian wrote:
in make.conf I took out mcpu=k6 and I changed march=k6 to march=k6-2 because I hear gcc3.1 works just great with that.

Make sure you actually have a second-generation K6 before you do this or you will become quite unhappy. My K6 is first-generation, and gentoo built from stage 1 with GCC 3.1 is running on it, using:
Code:
CFLAGS="-march=k6 -mmmx -O3 -pipe"

Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i check to see all the specs of my processor? I'm almost postitive that it has mmx and 3dnow support like athlons. But why put -mmmx in the CFLAGS? isnt it on by default? I really dont know.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erukian wrote:
How do i check to see all the specs of my processor?

Look at /proc/cpuinfo, esp. the flags section

Erukian wrote:
why put -mmmx in the CFLAGS? isnt it on by default? I really dont know.

I don't know either, but my reading of the GCC manual did not indicate to me that simply specifying arch=k6 would enable MMX, and with my K6-200 being as slow and geriatric as it is, I wasn't in the mood for playing around with compiler optimization flags :). I figured it couldn't hurt to specify it explicitly.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: