which overlays do you like?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: which overlays do you like? Reply with quote

what overlays do you use? why?

me: desktop-effects for the 9999 compiz-fusion ebuilds.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sunrise overlay is pretty awesome, but it's pretty for unstable too...since these are very and I mean very recent ebuilds.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
The sunrise overlay is pretty awesome, but it's pretty for unstable too...since these are very and I mean very recent ebuilds.

i guess i'm sort of using sunrise, since someone is merging that overlay into funtoo's portage derivative (which is what i'm using now).

layman -L gives a lot of overlays and i wonder what sort of hidden gems (hopefully bleeding edge :twisted:) things are out there.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not many simply because the overlay system is flawed ...

No way to priorities an overlay over another
No way to (conviently) mask one overlay package allowing another overlay to use it
Mis-use of overlays... Basically say overlay-foo starting to pull in unrelated packages

That being said I have the java overlay (for icedtea6 from source) and the oss4 overlay (for OSS4 which is GREAT!!!) even then the oss4 overlay, suppose to be specific to oss4 has started having packages that are NOT related to oss4
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

No way to (conviently) mask one overlay package allowing another overlay to use it
Mis-use of overlays... Basically say overlay-foo starting to pull in unrelated packages

That being said I have the java overlay (for icedtea6 from source) and the oss4 overlay (for OSS4 which is GREAT!!!) even then the oss4 overlay, suppose to be specific to oss4 has started having packages that are NOT related to oss4

I believe that the listing order in the PORTDIR_OVERLAY directive provides priority ordering, with the first being highest priority and so on.

I know from experience that this at least was the case previously, I haven't tried switching their order with recent portages (2.2).

the other two points hold true though.

I've come across the berkano overlay (and yngwin post) which seems to be fun, 9999 ebuilds for mplayer, ffmpeg, and libdvd* stufrfs.
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:

No way to say one overlay requires another. repoman only checking current overlay and gentoo. Therefore no way to create hierachy of overlays.

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alistair wrote:
Naib wrote:

No way to say one overlay requires another. repoman only checking current overlay and gentoo. Therefore no way to create hierachy of overlays.

exactly and hence why I say they are flawed. When one of the few overlays start interfearing with other packages from the main tree I end up copying out the ebuild into my local overlay THAT seems to be the only method to manage it atm

some means todo some overall search is needed (how?) and some means to stop duplication of ebuilds between different overlays is also needed.
rgk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im only using sunrise right now but i used to use xeffects also
M
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use x11 and nouveau, like to play with this sometimes, also gnome and mozilla. Official overlays are usually good, there is no different use flag names for same packages, no conflicts, and ebuild is removed from overlay when that version hit portage. From others I always copy stuff to local overlay, and I like when overlay is in svn, I can copy ebuild together with .svn dir and update it sometimes. Oh, and I use paludis and I think he is a little better for overlays, and you can mask/unmask package for only specified overlay, for example x11-base/xorg-server::x11 .

Anyway, overlays are bad, dont do overlays! (Mr. Mackey narration) :)
jordanwb
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Callisto (mtpfs), Berkano (nvidia-drivers) and Yarik (truecrypt).
shaumux
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the zen overlay, java overlay(for icedtea), desktop-effects.
alistair
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
alistair wrote:
Naib wrote:

exactly and hence why I say they are flawed.
I was agreeing with you, just saying it differently :D

[edit] moved closing quote.

what good are admin powers if you don't abuse them for personal gain - mark_alec

Last edited by alistair on Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:07 am; edited 1 time in total
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

x11 for my old notebook to play with latest radeon (and X) versions.

Then there is most importantly kde-testing (formerly also kde-crazy) on both notebook and desktop systems.

I added java-overlay some time ago to try out icedtea6, but found it having some ridiculous dependencies I really didn't want to waste space with. Installed a newer version of eclipse-sdk though in the process and merely keeping the overlay for convenience now.

I also had berkano running for some time but soon didn't see the point anymore in fiddling around with all too confusing codec interdependencies and conflicting version numbering schemes.
ocin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

berkano (live mplayer etc.), mpd (live mpd and clients), nouveau (when I'm using it) and devnull (my overlay, for nice fonts, latest nvidia-drivers, some x11-themes and some random live stuff)
thewtex
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
alistair wrote:
Naib wrote:

exactly and hence why I say they are flawed. When one of the few overlays start interfearing with other packages from the main tree I end up copying out the ebuild into my local overlay THAT seems to be the only method to manage it atm

some means todo some overall search is needed (how?) and some means to stop duplication of ebuilds between different overlays is also needed.

Paludis allows you to set an 'importance' value for each overlay to define the hierarchy.

funtoo isn't an overlay, but it will replace overlays in the future.
kolas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right now I have the haskell overlay and pd-overlay. I'm thinking about adding the sunshine overlay...
snoopboi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunrise for sure.
disi
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mozilla beta client via layman.
energyman76b
Advocate