alacarte-0.11.7 econf failed during update world
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daseinhorn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: alacarte-0.11.7 econf failed during update world Reply with quote

I am facing a "econf failed" issue with the alacarte-0.11.7 package when I run the update world command. I found this bug report (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?format=multiple&id=148833), where they say to run python-updater in an attempt to resolve the issue. I did that, but it does not solve it. Here is the output:

Code:
checking for pygobject 2.15.1 installed for python required_python_abi... not found
configure: error: required pygobject version not found

!!! Please attach the following file when seeking support:
!!! /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/alacarte-0.11.7/work/alacarte-0.11.7/config.log
 * ERROR: x11-misc/alacarte-0.11.7 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 *             environment, line 2910:  Called gnome2_src_compile
 *             environment, line 2127:  Called gnome2_src_configure
 *             environment, line 2141:  Called econf
 *               ebuild.sh, line  543:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *            die "econf failed"
 *  The die message:
 *   econf failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/alacarte-0.11.7/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/alacarte-0.11.7/temp/environment'.

It seems to search pygobject and doesn't find it, but pygobject is already installed on my system.

Code:
*  dev-python/pygobject
      Latest version available: 2.16.0
      Latest version installed: 2.16.0
      Size of files: 503 kB
      Homepage:      http://www.pygtk.org/
      Description:   GLib's GObject library bindings for Python
      License:       LGPL-2

Am I on the good track, or the issue is related to something else? Some help would be great!

Thanks.
hasenhei
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: alacarte-0.11.7 econf failed during update world Reply with quote

daseinhorn wrote:

Am I on the good track, or the issue is related to something else? Some help would be great!

Sorry, no help yet. Just wanted to say that I have the same problem. revdep-rebuild, rebuilding related packeges, all did not help... so far.

Here's what the logfile reports:
Code:

configure:6949: checking for ALACARTE
configure:6956: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "libgnome-menu >= 2.15"
configure:6959: $? = 0
configure:6972: $PKG_CONFIG --exists --print-errors "libgnome-menu >= 2.15"
configure:6975: $? = 0
configure:7052: result: yes
configure:7057: checking for pygobject 2.15.1 installed for python required_python_abi
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
  File "//usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gobject/__init__.py", line 33, in <module>
    from glib import spawn_async, idle_add, timeout_add, timeout_add_seconds, \
  File "//usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/glib/__init__.py", line 30, in <module>
    from glib._glib import *
ImportError: /usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0/glib/_glib.so: undefined symbol: Py_InitModule4
configure:7068: result: not found
configure:7070: error: required pygobject version not found

Can anybody help ?
causality
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same problem here as well. I ran python-updater and got stuck on the same alacarte package.

I tried every suggested solution in this thread, as well as in each of these threads:

None of them solved this issue for me.

The end of the emerge output for alacarte refers to a logfile at /var/tmp/portage/x11-misc/alacarte-0.11.10/work/alacarte-0.11.10/config.log. This is from the end of the "Core Tests" section of this file:

Code:
configure:7052: checking for pygobject 2.15.1 installed for python required_python_abi
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 2, in <module>
ImportError: No module named pygtk
configure:7064: result: not found
configure:7066: error: required pygobject version not found

I am not sure if it would be related but I noticed one strange thing when re-emerging dev-python/pygtk. This is the tail end of the emerge output:

Code:
>>> Installing (1 of 1) dev-python/pygtk-2.14.1-r1
 * Cleaning orphaned Python bytecode from /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/gtk-2.0 ..
 * Cleaning orphaned Python bytecode from /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/gtk-2.0 ..
/var/tmp/binpkgs/dev-python/pygtk-2.14.1-r1/temp/environment: line 2888: alternatives_auto_makesym: command not found
/var/tmp/binpkgs/dev-python/pygtk-2.14.1-r1/temp/environment: line 2889: alternatives_auto_makesym: command not found
 * Byte compiling python modules for python-2.6 .. ...                                                                                                [ ok ]
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

The emerge was successful and there were no fatal errors or other failures.

Could that possibly explain why another package is failing to locate/use pygtk?
Unfortunately I have no idea what the command "alternatives_auto_makesym" is for or what it's supposed to have done.
causality
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-emerging dev-python/pygobject by itself fixed this issue for me. When the re-emerge of pygobject was complete, I was able to successfully emerge x11-misc/alacarte.

I think this output (from the end of that emerge) helps explain why:

Code:

>>> Installing (1 of 1) dev-python/pygobject-2.18.0
 * Cleaning orphaned Python bytecode from /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages ..
 * Cleaning orphaned Python bytecode from /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages ..
 * Cleaning orphaned Python bytecode from /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages ..
 * Byte compiling python modules for python-2.6 .. ...                                                                                                [ ok ]
 * Linking /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pygtk.py-2.0 to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pygtk.py (relative)
 * Linking /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pygtk.pth-2.0 to /usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/pygtk.pth (relative)
>>> Auto-cleaning packages...

>>> No outdated packages were found on your system.

* GNU info directory index is up-to-date.

From the output above, pygobject updated the symlinks for pygtk. Not only did that fix this emerge issue with alacarte, but additionally app-portage/porthole and app-portage/portato (which are written in Python) are working again. Before, they would both complain about not finding modules and would fail to start.

One of the other threads I listed above (this one) suggested running "emerge -v pygobject pygtk alacarte." I think that didn't work because it would emerge pygobject which would set those symlinks as listed above, then it would emerge pygtk which seems to set them up a different way. Apparently they need to remain the way that pygobject creates them.

If I'm correct about the cause of this problem, then is this a bug? I don't see how a user would have anticipated this behavior.
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@causality: You hit a problem caused by a recent change in the python eclass. See bug 281714.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: