/lib/libdl.so.2: invalid ELF Reiser4 ro?[ABANDONED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: /lib/libdl.so.2: invalid ELF Reiser4 ro?[ABANDONED] Reply with quote

After finishing a hardened installation selecting the server grsec profile and for PaX, I rebooted and all was smooth up until just after entering runlevel 3.

Code:
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libdl.so.2: invalid ELF header PaX

Similar, errors dropping me to init 1. I have two machines with PaX and GRsec configured on them, however, custom. After analyzing the kernel configs of working machines, I think I've traced down the culprit. The "server" profile on pax enables:

Code:
CONFIG_PAX_NOELFRELOCS=y

My working machines with custom grsec and pax profiles do not have this item selected. I seem to remember reading quite a bit as to why its just plain easier not to have it enabled.

Now, however, I'm trying to chroot into the installed environment to reconfigure the kernel and receive the same error:
Code:
/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libdl.so.2: invalid ELF header

The question is pretty basic. How can I go about reconfigure/recompile the kernel in the installed environment that I cannot chroot into? The PaX kernel option mentioned above may or may not be the answer, but I have to overcome that first hurdle.

Last edited by minor_prophets on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 3 times in total
ctgmao
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

run

Quote:
revdep-rebuild
Hu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not convinced that the kernel option is the cause of your problem. However, if we assume that it is, the easiest solution would be to boot a LiveCD using a non-hardened kernel, which would then let you chroot into the environment to perform repairs. Before you fix it, it would be interesting to dump the ELF headers, and compare them with what you have on a working system.
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu,

I am booting from a livecd. And I'm still getting this error when trying to
Code:
chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash

Booting from the SystemRescue CD 1.4. I'm 99% sure the kernel is non-hardened.

BTW, I'm not entirely certain that this PaX option *is* the root of the problem, but, based on the setups of two other machines with PaX and GRsec, there's a good chance. In other words, option =N for the other two machines I've had running for at least a year.

Last edited by minor_prophets on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ctgmao,

Can't revdep-rebuild in an environment into which I cannot chroot.
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pax-quickstart.xml I don't know if this is the most recent doc version, but its close:
Code:
You will probably also want to merge pax-utils. Often if an ELF has executable relocations in the text segment these can cause problems for us. scanelf -BRylptq

There is no way to run that without being able to chroot into the environment, I think.

I hate to give up on this fresh install and use the sledgehammer fix.

Any ideas out there on recompiling the kernel without the ability of chrooting into the environment?? :roll:

Last things I did were install vixie-cron , syslog-ng and reiser4progs. glibc was pulled in as a dependency.

I use hardened-source i686 stage 3. And a hardened make.profile
DONAHUE
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is / on a reiser4fs?
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/boot ext2
all other parts on reiser4
So yes.

reiser4 disk detected (4.0.0) or something like that. Immediately after "enter runlevel 3"(IIRC) is when the error loading shared libraries occurs and I am dropped to "unkown.unkowndomain.i686.linux...." A prompt similar to that. I can't seem to run any commands at this level either, though I'll attempt it again later this evening.
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

discovered an error in my installation I believe quite pertinent.

The correct hardened make.profile sym should point to:
Code:
/etc/make.profile -> ../usr/portage/profiles/hardened/linux/x86/2008.0/

I had
Code:
/usr/portage/profiles/hardened/x86/2.6/

I had changed it from the 1st(which is the default stage3-hardened-i686 profile link) *and* had failed to emerge -e world. 8O

Update-running an emerge binutils gcc virtual/libc && emerge -e world. Should be done by the time I get home. I also recompiled the hardened kernel and changed the CONFIG_PAX_NOELFRELOCS=y to CONFIG_PAX_NOELFRELOCS=n for piece of mind. When I add a backup kernel, I'll change the option back to y and test to see if it produces the ELF shared library problem I refered to earlier.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Networking & Security.
Not about getting gentoo installed, so moved here

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, ss blockers foiled my emerge world. My reboot reproduced the same shared library errors. I was, however, able to chroot back into the environment.

I noticed
Code:
eselect profile list
didn't have any profile selected despite my link above to a hardened profile. I've eselected a hardened profile and am emerge -ev world.
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not sure yet. I get a variant of the following. By this I meant that the below error will occur at different times between various boot scripts. I've seen three variants of its occurrence across a few reboots. All culminating in either the (none) part below or a control-D, neither of which I'm able to run anything seemingly.

Code:

*Skipping /var and /tmp initialization (ro root?)
*Skipping /var/run/utmp initialization (ro root?)
/sbin/runscript:  error while loading shared libraries:  /lib/libdl.so.2:  invalid ELF header
INIT:  Entering runlevel:  3

then dropped to
Code:

This is (none).unknown_domain (Linux i686 2.6.25-hardened-r12)
(none) login:root
/sbin/runscript:  error while loading shared libraries:  /lib/libdl.so.2:  invalid ELF header

All partitions except /boot are reiser4. Booting(and installed) from systemrescue cd. I give you a peek at my fstab and grub.conf in a moment. I've been banging my head on this one now for a few days. Its gotta be some silly oversight somewhere, I'm thinking.

fstab
Code:

/dev/sda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda3               /               reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=15000    0 1
/dev/sda2               none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/sda5               /opt            reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0
/dev/sda6               /usr            reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0
/dev/sda7               /usr/portage    reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0
/dev/sda8               /usr/portage/distfiles  reiser4 noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0
/dev/sda9               /var            reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0
/dev/sda10              /var/tmp        reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0
/dev/sda11              /tmp            reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0
/dev/sda12              /home           reiser4         noatime,nodiratime,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500     0 0

grub.conf
Code:

default 0
timeout 3
#splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

#title Gentoo Linux 2.6.24-r5
#root (hd0,0)
#kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda3
#initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86-2.6.24-gentoo-r5

# vim:ft=conf:

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.25-hardened-r12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-hardened-r12 root=/dev/sda3

title Gentoo Linux 2.6.25-r12 nohardened
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-hardened-r12-nohardened root=/dev/sda3

Code:

RC_PARALLEL_STARTUP="yes"
-Edit-Tried "no", same end result, though I saw a few of my reiser4 partitions fly by with "wrong fs type" errors.

This is a fresh installation and I've emerge -e world after setting a hardened profile with eselect. I used a stage3 hardened i686. Can't think of what else to tell you all at this point. :? Ask and I will do my best to provide the info.
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited my grub.conf to add rw:

Code:
title Gentoo Linux 2.6.25-hardened-r12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.25-hardened-r12 root=/dev/sda3 rw

With the same results. Any tips or pointers would be appreciated at this point.
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bttt
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note for those coming across this thread
-Seems the new SystemRescue CD now has full grub support for Reiser4 booting.

Nope. Same issue, different SystemRescueCD, different machine.

The issue was with
Code:
,flush,scan_maxnodes=1500

After those were removed from fstab, all was well.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: