View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MasterOfTheHat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job! I've used this on several builds and never had an issue!

Now to try and get e17 to work...
rush_ad
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got this 'how t0' to work but when i connect my server computer from a client computer, i get to the login windows. when i try to login with the same user who is already logged in, i cannot run applications and my icons and looks are screwed up.

is there any way to make it so that when the same user logs in from a client computer, it first log off the previous session. i mean something like windows remote desktop where server computer logs out and then client computer logs in.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Nice howto!

But I have a problem getting connected.
I followed the tip to the comma, but when connecting I get the following error
Code:

vncviewer: ConnectToTcpAddr: connect: Connection refused
Unable to connect to VNC server

I disabled the firewall, added xinetd to /etc/hosts.allow. To no avail.

Do I have to add all the vnc-servers to /etc/hosts.allow too?

Thanks in advance
fangorn
squid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can i make my sessions be resumable? I have already setup the remote manage with tightvnc but when i log out and save the session the programms already running are not available on the next login :(

Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot m8's
:roll:
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to know how to keep my session going, keeping my programs and such all running when I disconnect.

Basically...my server is at my brother's place... and he some times uses it locally (has it on his KVM switch). I figured out long ago how to login remotely and use it for my self. But then... I'm left logged in for him to use. So... I want to know how I can keep a session running for me that he can't see.
Nitro_146
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I followed the tutorial, but when I launch vncviewer localhost:71 I have :
Code:
VNC server supports protocol version 3.3 (viewer 3.3)
No authentication needed
vncviewer: read: Connection reset by peer

Where to look at ?
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based off a post (can't remember but it was on page 15) I tried this in the /etc/xinetd.d/xvncserver
Code:

server_args = -inetd -SecurityTypes None  -query localhost -once -geometry 1152x864 -depth 24

and it worked!

This is using RealVNC (emerge vnc)

The difference from the HOWTO:
no :00 (or :##) and -SecurityTypes None instead of -SecurityTypes=None
Also, I only have one instance of the server in xvncserver and at 24 depth. I just use the options in the viewer (Windows ver) to select the color depth.

Not sure why, but it works. Otherwise, RealVNC veiwer just kept saying Connection Reset

Now how can I reconnect to a previous session?

Would using tightvnc give better performance over RealVNC when it comes to higher colors?

Anyone know why this works?
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found how to do resumable sessions... and it works. Just make sure you don't use tightvnc for the server... actually 'emerge vnc' with USE="server" After that... the basic configuration listed below will all you to resume a session. (But it seems only have 1 session going at a time. But running on more ports could easily take care of that, I guess.)

/etc/xinetd.d/xvncserver:
Code:
service vnc-1024x768x16
{
          protocol = tcp
          disable = no
          type = UNLISTED
          socket_type = stream
          wait = yes
          user = root
          server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
          server_args = -inetd :1 -query localhost -once -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd
          port = 5900
}

Also... just create a vncpassword file like this:
Code:
vncpasswd /root/.vncpasswd

...The basic idea is there. I just now got it working (and I only need 1 session at a time), so further expansion of this concept could easily be desired.
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, that didn't work for me.

This did:
Code:

service vnc-1024x768x24
{
         protocol = tcp
         disable = no
#        type = UNLISTED
         socket_type = stream
         wait = yes
         user = root
         server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
         server_args = -inetd -query localhost -once -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -DisconnectClients
=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd
#         server_args = :00 -inetd -query localhost -once -geometry 1152x864 -depth 24
#         server_args = -inetd -SecurityTypes None -query localhost -once -geometry 1024x768 -depth
24 -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd
#        port=5900
}

I uncommented the lines that didn't work for me. And having either type = UNLISTED and port=5900 did not work. I could understand why the port line didn't work, because...
Code:

#
#       VNC Servers
#
vnc-1024x768x24 5900/tcp

from /etc/services probably opens the port and then this entry in /etc/xinetd.d/xvncserver tries to use it. (Haven't looked at the logs yet)

What's type = UNLISTED do?

I can work with this, but I really want what Remote Desktop does in WinXP. I want to be able to connect to already running sessions, or start a new one. When I get to the console, I'd like to connect to the session I remoted into. Is this possible? At least to connect to at the console into a session previously opened remotely.

Also, what about connecting through a web browser on port 5800?
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can work with this, but I really want what Remote Desktop does in WinXP. I want to be able to connect to already running sessions, or start a new one. When I get to the console, I'd like to connect to the session I remoted into. Is this possible? At least to connect to at the console into a session previously opened remotely.

Have you tried FreeNX

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-214455-start-475.html
Brief howto at
https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=84778
Commercial site
http://www.nomachine.com

Its work in progress, but suspends / resumes sessions, programs continue to run while the session is suspended and it will resume after losing connection. Also supports smb mounting of remote share's(i have found this inconsistant, but useful when it works). Remote printing is also possible via smb, but I haven't got that to work yet. Its integrated with ssh plus the option of using ssl. You can have a number of independant sessions/users connected at once and it is quick
Kelvie
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: The way to keep the VNC server running. Reply with quote

If you would like to keep the vnc server running, log in via SSH and run the `vncserver' script that was provided by tightvnc.

You may have to tweak with the fontpaths or colorpaths, though, I modified these two lines inside it:

Code:
kelvie@crunchy ~ $ egrep '(fontPath =|colorPath =)'  ~/bin/vncserver
$fontPath = "/usr/share/fonts/misc,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi";
$colorPath = "/usr/share/X11/rgb";

It might be a good idea to copy the vncserver script to somewhere (like I did, to $HOME/bin) so that updates won't overwrite it.

Then run as follows:
Code:
kelvie@crunchy ~ $ vncserver

Warning: crunchy:2 is taken because of /tmp/.X2-lock
Remove this file if there is no X server crunchy:2

Warning: crunchy:3 is taken because of /tmp/.X3-lock
Remove this file if there is no X server crunchy:3

New 'X' desktop is crunchy:4

Starting applications specified in /home/kelvie/.vnc/xstartup
Log file is /home/kelvie/.vnc/crunchy:4.log

You can exit from the ssh session if you like, and connect with the following command:

Code:
kelvie@valour ~ $ vncviewer crunchy:4

Where you'd use your server and display number displayed above, or similarly with whatever vnc client you'd like.

When you need to terminate, do this:
Code:
kelvie@crunchy ~ $ vncserver -kill :4
Killing Xvnc process ID 20366

and all is well.

--
Kelvie
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in the end, this works well for me:

This is using RealVNC (USE="server" emerge -av vnc)

/etc/xinetd.d/xvncserver
Code:

service vnc-1024x768x24
{
         protocol = tcp
         disable = no
         socket_type = stream
         wait = yes
         user = root
         server = /usr/bin/Xvnc
         server_args = -inetd -query localhost -once -geometry 1024x768 -depth 24 -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd
}

/etc/services
Code:

#
#       VNC Servers
#
vnc-1024x768x24 5900/tcp

and then using...
Code:
vncpasswd /root/.vncpasswd

to create the vnc password.

If you need to start something that you want to connect into later, start a new vnc localy
Code:

vncviewer localhost

Just exit out, don't log off cause that will kill the session. Remote in to find your processess still running. When you get back to local, simply vncviewer localhost finish up, then log out of it.

Closest I can come to what I want to do. I did get nxserver-freenx running and it is sweet. Read the wiki's HOWTO, but the link to the forum is what got me running good. And I do like the layer of security. Only problem is that there is no resuming of sessions whatsoever. Use it for doing simple things, like checking email. Ofcourse, the commercial version of the nxserver at www.nomachine.com I think does do resuming if you wanta pay. I might.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Closest I can come to what I want to do. I did get nxserver-freenx running and it is sweet. Read the wiki's HOWTO, but the link to the forum is what got me running good. And I do like the layer of security. Only problem is that there is no resuming of sessions whatsoever. Use it for doing simple things, like checking email. Ofcourse, the commercial version of the nxserver at www.nomachine.com I think does do resuming if you wanta pay. I might.

Hmm, nxserver-freenx resumes sessions consistantly for me :? , I can resume from different machines and locations, applications continue to run between suspended/resumed sessions. Are you using the overlay and instructions listed here?
https://bugs.gentoo.org/attachment.cgi?id=84778

The only issues I currently have, are that the samba shares to the remote machine, work inconsistantly.

Barrie
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, well this mentions nxserver-freenx 1.5 and I'm running 0.2.8. BIG DIFFERERENCE I would say. The HOWTOs I followed I guess are a little old or inaccurate as there is no mention of using the ~x86 flag.

So what does the use of multiple overlays and the subversion package do?
electrofreak
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I tried nxserver and it wouldn't resume sessions... but they were still running. I had to always create a new session... so I went back to just using vnc.

I guess I don't know what version I had... I may investigate it again soon.
baaann
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MHenry676 wrote:
Hmm, well this mentions nxserver-freenx 1.5 and I'm running 0.2.8. BIG DIFFERERENCE I would say. The HOWTOs I followed I guess are a little old or inaccurate as there is no mention of using the ~x86 flag.

So what does the use of multiple overlays and the subversion package do?

Sorry, assumed you followed links I posted earlier :roll:

There is a thread on the forum
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-214455-start-475.html

As the subversion suggests it is actively being revised, but I have found it very stable and when there has been a problem on svn update, StifflerStealth who maintains the ebuilds answers quickly. It really is very good! As to why there are multiple overlays, I am not certain, but I am sure a post on the freeNX thread will provide the answer
MHenry676
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I tried nxserver, and I love it. Though vnc is nice when you can't install the nxclient on the pc you are at. But it does work great and resumes, if you follow the 'bugs' link he posted, it mentions using the subversion and overlay. One thing is, that it is not reuseable at a different location. But I've even played dvix encoded videos with lan connection, though above a 1.5 diagonal does get screwy. I must mention that this video/nxserver was coming from a P3 500 on a 100mbit lan and sound was still on the server, not client machine.

One thing I don't understand is why my VNC, which hasn't changed configuration and was working when I initially tried nxserver using the portage, does not work after I've used these new ones (as set up as my previous post describes). I'm half tempted to remove the VNC. As long as it is resumeable, I can vnc locally and finish what i've started, but not with nxserver. It also seems more resource hog, but can be run without X running locally where vnc does need X running.

nxserver is a great way for a setup with not so powerful clients runing from a good server. Like I said, nxserver runs fine without X running so no expensive video card needed. Almost like the beginings of a free and open CITRIX. Even load balancing between servers can be done, so I saw from the config files options.
]Trix[
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: How do I uninstall it Reply with quote

OK. I have tried and realised I really dont need it cause I prefer ssh which is much faster. So i Tried to uninstal it. But evertime I i get the screen checking for local servers and ofcourse it cannot find any because i disabled xdmcp... What have I missed? Is there a way to get it back as it was - normal gdm login screen... or do i have to reinstall everything

I have removed tightvnc and xinetd, changed all configuration files that were used in howto to previous state, but it still doesnt work.
timbobsteve
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I can get this tutorial to work quite well using gdm and Xorg, but one thing I cannot do is multiple connections. I can have a single connection to each service say,

1 PC connects to vnc-800x600x16
1 PC connects to vnc-1024x768x16
etc...
etc...

What I cannot do is have 2 connections to the same service (eg. 2 ppl both running vnc connections to vnc-800x600x16) so for me I can only have one session for each resolution/depth combination. This isn't very fun.

I thought by the name of this HOWTO, the end result would allow multiple connections to the same res/depth combination. Is this supposed to happen or am I thinking beyond this tutorial?

Thanks for any help you can give me. It would be nice to have everyone in my family just running sessions from my linux machine. It would mean faster internet for them and less headaches for me.

-Timbobsteve
col
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an init script if you only want to run a single user - reusable vnc session like me:

Code:

# vi /etc/init.d/vncserver

Make it look like:

#!/sbin/runscript
# Copyright 1999-2005 Gentoo Foundation
# Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
# $Header: $

depend() {
   need net
}

checkconfig() {
        ebegin "Load config"
   PATH="$PATH:/usr/X11R6/bin/"

# The Username:Group that will run VNC
   export USER="vampas"
   #${RUNAS}

# The display that VNC will use
   DISPLAY="0"

# Color depth (between 8 and 32)
   DEPTH="16"

# The Desktop geometry to use.
   #GEOMETRY="<WIDTH>x<HEIGHT>"
   #GEOMETRY="800x600"
   GEOMETRY="1024x780"
   #GEOMETRY="1280x1024"

# The name that the VNC Desktop will have.
   NAME="aMule"

OPTIONS="-name ${NAME} -depth ${DEPTH} -geometry ${GEOMETRY} :${DISPLAY}"
   eend $? "Config not Loaded"
}

start() {
        checkconfig
   ebegin "Starting vncserver for user '${USER}' on localhost:${DISPLAY}"
   su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver ${OPTIONS}"
   eend $?
}

stop() {
   checkconfig
   ebegin "Stoping vncserver for user '${USER}' on localhost:${DISPLAY}"
   su ${USER} -c "/usr/bin/vncserver -kill :${DISPLAY}"
   eend $?
}

restart() {
   svc_stop
   sleep 3
   svc_start
}

Change the runas user and save this as /etc/init.d/vncserver. Dont forget to set the vncpasswd & xstartup in ~/.vnc/

Code:

chmod +x  /etc/init.d/vncserver

rc-update add vncserver default

/etc/init.d/vncserver start

BlackEdder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When using the vnc terminal server like this I get an error when opening emacs:
undefined color: "black"
I found out that this is caused because vncserver can't find the rgb.txt file. The vncserver script (/usr/bin/vncserver) solves this by defining the variable $colorPath before running Xvnc. Is there a way to do this for this setup. Just replacing Xvnc by vncserver in the xinetd.d config doesn't seem to work.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
XDMCP socket creation failed, errno 97

Im getting this in messages, im using kdm on this box. A previous poster had and ipv6 issue, but im not running ipv6.

Quote:
Solved:
Added the following to /usr/kde/3.5/share/config/kdm/Xaccess so that xdmcp is forced to listen to ipv4
Code:
LISTEN 0.0.0.0

Always thirsting.
katowulf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mholtz wrote:

To see if you have the problem, run
Code:

$ Xvnc :1 -desktop 800x600 -depth 16

This little bit of advice solved hours of searching for me... thanks! I was so happy to see an error message show up on the screen I nearly fainted. : )
psih128
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have a problem with configuring my vnc server.
I was following the tutorial on wiki (which is equal to the one in first post), but I can not see gnome login window in vncviewer. When I open it - it shows a grey window with graphic console, but no login prompt or something.

any ideas how to make gnome show up in vncviewer? do you guys need any files from my box to help with that, if you plan to do so? 8)

Thanks
Anton
pzasso
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Connects to VNC server, but then hangs Reply with quote

I have followed the howto as well as many others have, but I am not sure where I screwed up. Everything looks good and I don't receive any error messages, yet I never get a login prompt. I am connecting into my home machine from work, and am doing the following.

As my userid, with the vnc password already set, I issue the following command to start things up.

vncserver :1 -geometry 1024x768 -depth 16 -fp /usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/ -co /usr/share/X11/rgb -localhost (VNC starts on port 5901and I see it in the process table)

Next I connect from my office linux box with the following commands:

ssh -l myusername -X -L 5903:localhost:5901 myhomeipaddress (I am able to login via ssh and send an xclock back to my desktop)

In a separte window I run vncviewer localhost:3 (It connects to my home server, but it just hangs and never prompts me for a password)

All I see is this on my terminal:

$ vncviewer localhost:3

VNC Viewer Free Edition 4.1.2 for X - built Dec 4 2006 15:07:40
Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.

Fri Jan 19 17:35:00 2007
CConn: connected to host localhost port 5903
CConnection: Server supports RFB protocol version 3.130
CConnection: Using RFB protocol version 3.8

And on the server side, this is what I see in the log.

19/01/2007 17:35:24 Got connection from client 127.0.0.1
19/01/2007 17:35:24 Protocol version 3.8
19/01/2007 17:35:24 Ignoring minor version mismatch

And when I control-c after giving up this is what I see in that same log.

19/01/2007 17:35:52 Client 127.0.0.1 gone
19/01/2007 17:35:52 Statistics:
19/01/2007 17:35:52 framebuffer updates 0, rectangles 0, bytes 0

It looks like I am close, but I am not sure what I am missing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

--Paul
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: