View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enegento
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: first need a kernel Reply with quote

thanks for repost your suggestion but, in my case, I couldn't reboot because it is not a kernel on /boot.
There is not a kernel because I couldn't make a kernel with out the sources on /usr/src. There are no sources on /usr/src because when I emerge -K vanilla-sources or something; it didn't find them on disk and try to go to Internet to download.

First I tought the installation process will put a precompiled kernel on /boot. Then I learned that it had to be compliled. But I need to install it on a computer with very low bandwidth and I'd like to find out the right way to doit.

Anyway... I will continue trying to find out what I am doing wrong.

--Nestor
thoughts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: first need a kernel Reply with quote

enegento wrote:
thanks for repost your suggestion but, in my case, I couldn't reboot because it is not a kernel on /boot.

Well, I was quoting directly from the x86 quick-install instructions, so that's why it said reboot... but I think you can do it without rebooting. Try replacing "reboot" with "umount /mnt/cdrom" in those short instructions that I quoted. Then put in CD2 and continue. I'm not certain, but I think it should work; as long as you're past the stage where you've done the chroot command, the system should run fine without CD1 in the drive.

-Anthony
http://nodivisions.com/
enegento
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:45 pm    Post subject: found a way to go on Reply with quote

on my desperation, a began to play.
I had tried with gentoo-dev-sources, vanilla-sources and gentoo-sources: kernel 2.6, 2.4 patched and 2.4 default, in that order.

After start trying other posibilities, gs-sources did the trick. gs-sources is the kernel patched for server use.

After

emerge gs-sources

Now I have /usr/src/linux-2.4.25_pre7-gss-r2 sources installed and I will continue my installation.

--Nestor
TealVeal
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2004 1:21 am    Post subject: sysvinit missing? Reply with quote

I'm trying to install ussing GRP 2004.1, but sysvinit is not included on the athlon xp packages disc so it's failing. I have a wireless nic so I have to use GRP.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: