Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Looking for advice on server setup - SVN especially.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SomeoneDK
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Looking for advice on server setup - SVN especially. Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm in the progress of attempting to setup a Subversion server with Apache/WebDAV rougly following this guide.

I have had a Subversion server set up before, though I used the more simple approach having the svnserve run as a daemon.
The thing is, that I'm running the SVN server for quite a few people from my university who I study with since our faculty doesn't supply us with access to such ressources.

What I've found annoying with running svnserve as a daemon was the hazzle of maintaining of maintaining all the authz, passwd and svnserve files for each and every repository every semester where people reformed groups and started on a new project. Especially when I have no need for the fine-grained access-control which that way of authentification delivers. Basically, in my situation either a person has access to a repository or not. So I've been looking for a better way of configuring this and I'm hoping for some good advices from you people :)

I've also been wanting to extend the "services" I provide to my fellow students. Basically, I'd like to provide each an every user with SSH access to the server - in a limited way ofcourse. First of all, It'd be nice if the users had only one password which was used to authenticate with services such as SVN - I'm hoping for some thoughts on this from you guys :). Regarding the SSH access, I've done some thoughts on what I'd like to achieve. For example when a user logs in, I'd like them to be locked in in there home folder. In there, they'll have a a default .public_html folder which is available for various web-based projects - e.g. execution of php and access to a mysql database etc.

I'm pretty much self-thought through 8 years when it comes to running a Linux so there's quite a few aspects where I don't have a deeper understanding of how things work, which is also why I'm asking about this here before getting started on this small project of mine.

But basically, it all boils down to that I'd like to provide services such as SSH access with a publicly accessible folder for execution of various web applications, SVN access and stuff like this, but without giving them too much access so that they can access critical areas of the system and mess with things.

What are you thoughts on all this?

Thanks in advance
Christian Rasmussen

Fixed URL BBcode. --timeBandit
aeacu5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps a unprivileged user in a chroot jail would be a good start?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: