cd-rom to boot from USB
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ziofil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: cd-rom to boot from USB Reply with quote

Hello everybody!
I know from experience that if a bios is new enough to support usb booting, then plugging a usb hard drive and booting from there is ok. But for some old bios this is not possible, so for ubuntu and I think slax too, there is a cd-rom (only ~10Mb in size) that loads the drivers for the usb ports and it's possible to boot from usb.
Is this possible also for Gentoo? Does it exist such a cd-rom? I tried the ubuntu usb cd to boot a Gentoo usb install but no luck..
Thank you
Z
Inodoro_Pereyra
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get it. Why do you need to boot from USB when you can install Gentoo booting from CD?

Cheers!

Si no fuera por C, estaríamos escribiendo programas en BASI, PASAL y OBOL.
ziofil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, thanks for the reply
This is my whole situation: I have a macbook pro in double boot with macosx and winzoz, and knowing the issues about the limit on the primary partitions under the GPT I performed a Gentoo install on a usb hard drive, but unfortunately nor rEFIt nor other means (that i'm aware of) can make the mac boot from usb. The only way possible is a cdrom like the one that works with ubuntu, so I was wondering if there is the same thing for Gentoo.
I don't need the Live CD because I need a stable system, which is already installed.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be pretty nice to have...I recently thought of using a heap of junk (as in a P166) with a minimal non-GUI-cut-down-from-Gentoo-system-with-a-CLI-MPD-client ;] But the spinning of a disc would be awfull and I don't have a lot of ram for it so would like to have on a pendrive and as a normal squashfs liveUSB, although I need a way to boot the heap of junk off the pendrive...
ziofil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it be a difficoult thing to prepare? I mean, the ubuntu guys did it, why shouldn't we..? :wink:
do you know how it works?
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to install Gentoo on a USB HDD attached to a MacBook some time ago, but when I stumbled upon similar problems I gave up, because I was just playing around.

Some random thoughts:

I had a similar problem with an Eee PC - wouldn't boot from USB no matter what I did. Then I installed a bootmanager called PLoP from an USB floppy (!). From PLoP I could boot a large USB disk without any problems. I guess in your case you would have to boot from rEFIt into PLoP and then into Gentoo.

Another idea (which I haven't tried): Since recent kernel versions have EFI support, maybe it's possible to boot from USB with a GPT scheme and without BIOS "emulation".
OSX and even the install DVD boots from USB, so it might be possible.
However, like I said I've never tried this and I only have a very general idea of what would be necessary to archive this.
ziofil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nerdbert wrote:

Another idea (which I haven't tried): Since recent kernel versions have EFI support, maybe it's possible to boot from USB with a GPT scheme and without BIOS "emulation".
OSX and even the install DVD boots from USB, so it might be possible.
However, like I said I've never tried this and I only have a very general idea of what would be necessary to archive this.

hmm.. I'll think about that..
what about this? http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-boot-cd-for-ubuntu-810/#more-680
could it be done with the gentoo LiveCD?
nerdbert
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ziofil wrote:

could it be done with the gentoo LiveCD?

If it works for Ubuntu on your Mac, it will most likely work for Gentoo as well. What the article describes is actually very similar to what PLoP does...
ziofil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good! :D I'll try then!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: