Gentoo PPC General Questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kcsduke
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Gentoo PPC General Questions Reply with quote

I'm considering buying a used ibook (G3 ~500MHz, 256MB) or powerbook (G4 ~500MHz, 256MB), and I'm curious what sort of performance to expect. I've been using linux for about 2 years, but only on intel systems (my computer is desktop P3 450, but I've used others too). My understanding is that processor speed is not an accurate way of comparing the intel vs. motorola effective speed. How fast do the apple laptops "feel" (perhaps compared to an intel system) running gentoo?

Are there any major downsides/upsides to running the ppc version of gentoo rather than the intel version?

Anyone have any major problems with Apple Laptops? They seem like really solid (and attractive) machines, but like I said, I don't have a great deal of experience with them.

Thanks a lot!
~Kyle
brady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have an ibook2.

1. the stability of the hardware is excellent.
2. the stability of the os (linux) is also excellent (but you need a benh kernel. the gentoo-ppc kernel is not so good in my experience).
3. hardware compatibility is a non-issue. everything on my ibook is supported. i have dvd/cd-rw ``combo drive'' and i have both working perfectly - and i just watched akira last night (what a great flick). devices i hae working:
--pmu (power managment unit) works excellent. i have all major features working except hibernate.
[url]
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=7252
[/url]
--dvd/cd-rw
--usb mouse, keyboard, zip drive, and a comapct-flash camera (to mount the cf device).
--ethernet (cat 5)
--ethernet (wirless airport card)
--the brightness, volume, and eject buttons
--fire-wire. i dont own any devices, but i have connecteda fw hard disk with no problems.
--the external monitor port

i have had no reason to use the modem, but i can only assume it would work if i configured it to work.

and then there is the issue of speed. youre right - clock speed is not the only metric. my ibook2 is g3 500mhz, 384mb ram. its plenty fast for everything i want to do. i havent used intel in a few years, but if i had to throw a number out there, id say typical things respond at about 650mhz on the ``intel'' clock speed metric. however, this will change when preempt+lockbreaking is available for ppc. i would project somewhere around 700-750mhz ``feel''.

hope this helps.

cheers!

-brady

my stance: i will not buy intel again, even if that mean buying amd ;)
Gerk
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW I have a test machine (http://quad.macdiscussion.com) with the -ac 01 scheduler patches in it for PPC and it has been pretty much rock solid so far :)
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what app do you use for dvd playback in gentoo?
thanks.

brady wrote:
i have an ibook2.

3. hardware compatibility is a non-issue. everything on my ibook is supported. i have dvd/cd-rw ``combo drive'' and i have both working perfectly - and i just watched akira last night (what a great flick). devices i hae working:
brady
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mplayer

ive also heard ogle works good too.

-brady
zojas
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried Ogle over the weekend and it crashed on me for an encrypted dvd. I don't think I tried it on an unencrypted dvd.

Xine will play unencryptd dvds for me, but says it's missing a plugin for encrypted dvds. I have xine-dvdnav installed too. I'd really like to get xine working cause I'd like to take a few screenshots of some dvds.

vlc will play encrypted dvds, but won't do the dvd menu or screenshots. (it seems to do screen shots when using the X11 plugin but the output is extremely corrupted)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: