View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: Suggestions to help the tree... Reply with quote

Suggestions to fix problems from monkeys and tree post that was locked....please be constructive if you reply....sure it was flamebait, but you people have no clue how hot my blood boils to see stupid mistakes like that being made when I'm used to seing high quality stuff.

1) All ebuilds must be held to scrutiny. That is, they should all be checked for syntatical errors by the person checking them in to cvs. Perhaps cvs isn't the best idea for the tree. Other alternatives should be discussed. Namely, before anyone adds a build to a tree, they should make sure syntax errors are cleared.

2) All ebuilds must compile on at least one or two boxes before hitting the official tree. I don't care if you have an ebuild masked. Masked should still at least compile, or there shouldn't be an ebuild in the tree. You've masked so much good stable things for so long that masking is just a way to keep people from using developmental software or untested software. It no longer means packages that won't compile. So make absolute sure that packages have compiled on at least one or two boxes before putting it in. If an ebuild is masked in package.mask, then it doesn't have to comply with this rule. But all ~ masked packages should compile.

3) Actively criticize those who put an ebuild in the tree that violates the above. People need to be slapped on the hand for rushing something into portage, especially for syntax errors or logical errors in the ebuild.

I'm not meaning to be actively against gentoo or the way things are done, but I do believe that this should not be a problem and that the problem rises from people trying to get things out the door too quickly instead of taking the time to do it right. Let's not be the folks who don't care about the end user.

Karl
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally someone but me who has seen the light - Gentoo is not perfect in every way and form...

I already once tried to reform the way ebuild QA was done - and it ended up in a messy flamewar with very little actual constructive work being done.

I think Gentoo needs a reformation badly since it's users are no longer regarded or used as source for improvement.

but then again... I could be wrong...
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions to help the tree... Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
Suggestions to fix problems from monkeys and tree post that was locked....please be constructive if you reply....sure it was flamebait, but you people have no clue how hot my blood boils to see stupid mistakes like that being made when I'm used to seing high quality stuff.

1) All ebuilds must be held to scrutiny. That is, they should all be checked for syntatical errors by the person checking them in to cvs. Perhaps cvs isn't the best idea for the tree. Other alternatives should be discussed. Namely, before anyone adds a build to a tree, they should make sure syntax errors are cleared.

There are already discussions about ways to handle QA while retaining flexibility and nimbleness.

Quote:

2) All ebuilds must compile on at least one or two boxes before hitting the official tree. I don't care if you have an ebuild masked. Masked should still at least compile, or there shouldn't be an ebuild in the tree. You've masked so much good stable things for so long that masking is just a way to keep people from using developmental software or untested software. It no longer means packages that won't compile. So make absolute sure that packages have compiled on at least one or two boxes before putting it in. If an ebuild is masked in package.mask, then it doesn't have to comply with this rule. But all ~ masked packages should compile.

Fine, and if they compile on my box, I'm going to put them in the tree unless I get a lot of bug reports about it. That's what ~arch is for - to make sure it works properly on a bunch of systems before going into stable. That's why policy is for all new ebuilds to be in ~arch.

Quote:

3) Actively criticize those who put an ebuild in the tree that violates the above. People need to be slapped on the hand for rushing something into portage, especially for syntax errors or logical errors in the ebuild.

I'm not meaning to be actively against gentoo or the way things are done, but I do believe that this should not be a problem and that the problem rises from people trying to get things out the door too quickly instead of taking the time to do it right. Let's not be the folks who don't care about the end user.

Karl

Actively criticize? Yeah, hey, there's a winner of an idea. Quick, everybody jump all over a developer who makes a mistake! After all, they're getting paid huge quantities of money, right? Users should be _entitled_ to be jerks to developers when they make mistakes!

Wrong.

Everybody cares about the end user - as long as the end user is willing to put in some effort in return. File bugs, be pleasant about things, and be grateful that people like me spend a lot of time working to do things for _you_ for no money and nothing in return. Helpful suggestions on bugzilla are good, "active criticism" is discouraging. And - guess what - if we get discouraged, you don't get a quality product.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
Finally someone but me who has seen the light - Gentoo is not perfect in every way and form...

I already once tried to reform the way ebuild QA was done - and it ended up in a messy flamewar with very little actual constructive work being done.

I think Gentoo needs a reformation badly since it's users are no longer regarded or used as source for improvement.

Of course there's problems - and guess what, we're working to fix them. However, Karl's thing is to be a completely and total jerk to developers who make mistakes.

And you can see how well it's worked out for him, too:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=15396

A snippet for those of you who don't feel like reading the whole thing:
Quote:
Grow up, stop
acting so
retarded, and for crying out loud, the kde noia theme exists in portage. Take the
above ebuild
package, and put the gnome-noia-icons ebuild into portage. It's about damn time this
gets in
there. I don't care how messed up the theme infrastructure is. The point is, this
was developed
by me, released as a gift to the Gentoo community a day before it got to the gnome

community, had ebuilds for it too, and they aren't in portage.

So you can see where Karl's approach is very productive and useful.

(If you're looking to get your Bugzilla account removed for being abusive, that is.)
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:

I'm not sure what makes you think that.

Can you elaborate?
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My idea is to only treat people with the same respect that they treat me.
Kesereti
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may not be a moderator on the forums...but I can see where this is going...no more back and forth about who said what and under what conditions, etc, please =) Let's try and keep this a civil discussion about ideas for making Portage (and Gentoo!) better than it already is...the name-calling and whatnot can be done in PM's ^_^
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
My idea is to only treat people with the same respect that they treat me.

Okay, and how does that fit into the active criticism thing?

If I, personally, make a mistake in an ebuild I commit, are you going to jump all over me?

How about the fact that anyone reading the bug I pointed out can see that foser just pointed out that he'd rather hold off on it until we have a better mechanism for supporting themes and you jumped all over him with personal attacks?

Guess what - I treat people with the same level of respect as they give me, too. All I've seen from you is harsh criticism and personal attacks without any actual suggestions. Here's a few thoughts to get started:

(a) "The tree sucks! Go criticize developers!" is not as good as "Here's a few ideas for things that could be done to make the tree better: X, Y, Z"
(b) A good response to "maybe when we have a better themes infrastructure" would be "here's some ideas for things that could be done to improve support for themes: X, Y, Z"
Lovechild
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj: pitting karl11 against Foser, the most userunfriendly developer Gentoo has had to date, just isn't fair - the man is a walking flamewar.

I think karl11 is a brilliant guy, I've had nothing but positive feedback from him in the past - a true asset to the Gentoo community. If it wasn't for him and Lin-Matt we would have no place for quality out of tree ebuilds. I myself have a few ebuilds on bmg and I've gotten a lot of good feedback on the quality of my job for the users - in the event I made a mistake, they do let me have it.. and that's okay because most of them provide a fix as well. actively and constructively criticizing developers is a good thing.

As for the point about users. When I first joined Gentoo I was amazed at the good mood at surrounded it's development, the users were not so much users as they were part of the experience that is Gentoo - their ideas were reviewed and judged - now it seems users are considered more of a problem than a help. We are an asset to be harnessed not a problem to be fixed.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The foser thing is an over and done with deal, but goes even further than what you saw in that bug report. There were personal issues which were hashed out in pms, emails, and forum posts that you never saw. Until you've read all of the dialogue, you really aren't in a position to comment on my replies on that bug. Please read down through the whole bug and also read all the threads concerning gnome development ebuilds before saying anything else on that topic.

Ok...so I was wrong with my monkey/tree post. However, there are some things that should be jumped on and they are stupid mistakes like syntax errors. What business do you have putting something that doesn't even work into the tree? I gave my suggestions as a constructive criticism in the first post on this thread. Go back and read it.

I'm not saying you should shoot a developer dead on the spot for getting something wrong as you tend to think I'm going overboard here. If a syntax error exists in an ebuild, the developer responsible needs to be notified and asked to try and not make the same mistake again or not rush things out the door so fast. This tends to be a problem around here.

Karl
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovechild wrote:
avenj: pitting karl11 against Foser, the most userunfriendly developer Gentoo has had to date, just isn't fair - the man is a walking flamewar.

foser loses patience a lot - but in that particular bug, foser was not at all harsh and yet he was attacked unprovoked.

Quote:

I think karl11 is a brilliant guy, I've had nothing but positive feedback from him in the past - a true asset to the Gentoo community. If it wasn't for him and Lin-Matt we would have no place for quality out of tree ebuilds. I myself have a few ebuilds on bmg and I've gotten a lot of good feedback on the quality of my job for the users - in the event I made a mistake, they do let me have it.. and that's okay because most of them provide a fix as well. actively and constructively criticizing developers is a good thing.

As for the point about users. When I first joined Gentoo I was amazed at the good mood at surrounded it's development, the users were not so much users as they were part of the experience that is Gentoo - their ideas were reviewed and judged - now it seems users are considered more of a problem than a help. We are an asset to be harnessed not a problem to be fixed.

Users in general are not considered more of a problem than a help. Some users do not understand how to interact with people (and some developers have the same problem).

As for Karl, since he's so brilliant, surely he can come up with some solutions rather than encouraging people to make developer's lives difficult.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
The foser thing is an over and done with deal, but goes even further than what you saw in that bug report. There were personal issues which were hashed out in pms, emails, and forum posts that you never saw. Until you've read all of the dialogue, you really aren't in a position to comment on my replies on that bug. Please read down through the whole bug and also read all the threads concerning gnome development ebuilds before saying anything else on that topic.

Ok...so I was wrong with my monkey/tree post. However, there are some things that should be jumped on and they are stupid mistakes like syntax errors. What business do you have putting something that doesn't even work into the tree? I gave my suggestions as a constructive criticism in the first post on this thread. Go back and read it.

You didn't give suggestions; you pointed out problems and said "we need better QA" and "you should criticize developers." If you were god for a day, what would you do QA-wise?

Quote:

I'm not saying you should shoot a developer dead on the spot for getting something wrong as you tend to think I'm going overboard here. If a syntax error exists in an ebuild, the developer responsible needs to be notified and asked to try and not make the same mistake again or not rush things out the door so fast. This tends to be a problem around here.

Karl

People make mistakes; other people need to be understanding of that. If a single developer is making the same mistake repeatedly, talk to myself or Seemant. You didn't give specifics about the syntax error, so I can't comment intelligently on that - ideally something like that would turn up while testing.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you believe that your life will become all that more difficult for someone pointing out what you did wrong, then maybe it's time to re-evaluate your views on life, drop the holier than thou attitude, and let people tell you where you went wrong and then learn from your mistakes. Sample correspondence between me and a developer who has made a mistake:

-----------------------
dev,
I would like to point out that I believe I've found a mistake in your work. I might not be correct in my finding, but it bears looking at. In line 15 in your ebuild foo-1.2.3.ebuild, you are missing a " at the end of the statement. If you would, please fix this (if it is indeed an error) and try not to commit the same type of mistake to the tree in the future. Gentoolkit has some great debugging tools to help you out in that. Thanks for your contributions to gentoo and I hope this bug report has been a help to you!

Karl
---------------------

If that makes your life harder, then take a 3 week vacation.

Karl

p.s. As lovechild said, over at breakmygentoo, we do criticize people for their mistakes, but in the same regard, we also help them out and show them why they are mistakes. Keep in mind, this whole conversation started over the fact that the portage tree is getting largely out of control.
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
If you believe that your life will become all that more difficult for someone pointing out what you did wrong, then maybe it's time to re-evaluate your views on life, drop the holier than thou attitude, and let people tell you where you went wrong and then learn from your mistakes. Sample correspondence between me and a developer who has made a mistake:

It's not about someone pointing it out, it's about how you point it out. I'm telling you that your ideas will not be considered by anyone in the dev team if you start out by calling developers monkeys and encouraging people to criticize them when they make mistakes.

If you don't want feedback on whether or not your presentation method will encourage people to think abou what you have to say, tell me and I'll quit watching this thread.
Quote:

-----------------------
dev,
I would like to point out that I believe I've found a mistake in your work. I might not be correct in my finding, but it bears looking at. In line 15 in your ebuild foo-1.2.3.ebuild, you are missing a " at the end of the statement. If you would, please fix this (if it is indeed an error) and try not to commit the same type of mistake to the tree in the future. Gentoolkit has some great debugging tools to help you out in that. Thanks for your contributions to gentoo and I hope this bug report has been a help to you!

Karl
---------------------

That's fine.

Quote:

If that makes your life harder, then take a 3 week vacation.

Karl

Already am, actually, right after I get 1.4 out the door. Frankly, I'm burned out on it - I have no problem admitting that. What I'm trying to prevent here is more developers burning out. In pursuit of that goal, I like to encourage users to be courteous and polite.

Quote:

p.s. As lovechild said, over at breakmygentoo, we do criticize people for their mistakes, but in the same regard, we also help them out and show them why they are mistakes. Keep in mind, this whole conversation started over the fact that the portage tree is getting largely out of control.

It's not what you have to say, it's how you're presenting it here.
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avenj -- I think we simply had a miscommunication that for the most part I'd like to say has been cleared up based on our last two posts. Perhaps in the future I will present things in a more plausible way to everyone who comes to the forums. Thanks for taking the time to actively discuss the issues though. I do appreciate your constructive comments.

Now back to the subject at hand based on the subject of this thread.....Suggestions for how to better maintain the tree folks? I do believe that each ebuild needs to be tested for syntax errors upon entry to the cvs tree.

Karl
aethyr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11: what kind of syntax errors are we talking about?

If they're just bash script errors, I imagine there's some program that can check the validity of bash scripts out there already.

If they're errors that require actual thought to resolve, that might be more difficult.

Last edited by aethyr on Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
lisa
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
Now back to the subject at hand based on the subject of this thread.....Suggestions for how to better maintain the tree folks? I do believe that each ebuild needs to be tested for syntax errors upon entry to the cvs tree.l

What are you willing to do about it? Will you augment lintool or repoman to catch syntax errors? Will you write some other utility to verify syntax?
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karl11 wrote:
avenj -- I think we simply had a miscommunication that for the most part I'd like to say has been cleared up based on our last two posts. Perhaps in the future I will present things in a more plausible way to everyone who comes to the forums. Thanks for taking the time to actively discuss the issues though. I do appreciate your constructive comments.

Now back to the subject at hand based on the subject of this thread.....Suggestions for how to better maintain the tree folks? I do believe that each ebuild needs to be tested for syntax errors upon entry to the cvs tree.

Karl

The eternal QA problem is: how?

I mean, with syntax errors, usually testing/repoman will catch it, but there is no failsafe currently.

There are some thoughts floating around about ways to ensure there is always a "as perfect as we can get it" CVS branch kind of deal...
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions to help the tree... Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
[..] That's what ~arch is for - to make sure it works properly on a bunch of systems before going into stable. That's why policy is for all new ebuilds to be in ~arch.

If this would work, I would not see non-working ebuilds in x86 regularly. Portage on #1 (And I don't want to flame; I just observed it.)

Carlo

Last edited by Carlo on Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aethyr wrote:
karl11: what kind of syntax errors are we talking about?

If they're just bash script errors, I imagine there's some program that can check the validity of bash scripts out there already.

If they're errors that require actual thought to resolve, that might be more difficult.

I think he means things like missing quotes - which should be caught by the developer doing the commit just by merging the ebuild and looking for errors. I don't know why anyone would commit an untested ebuild. However, people do make last-minute minor changes before committing (things like fixing output notices) and can forget quotes and things of that nature then.

What can we do about it? People are generally leaning towards CVS branches with varying levels of QA (i.e.,we could potentially have a branch that only a few people can commit to, that kind of thing).
Pythonhead
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you consider that he did have a working ebuild and made an error and submitted the wrong one?

What good is any proposed system if people can still make human errors and submit the wrong ebuild?
avenj
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions to help the tree... Reply with quote

Carlo wrote:
avenj wrote:
[..] That's what ~arch is for - to make sure it works properly on a bunch of systems before going into stable. That's why policy is for all new ebuilds to be in ~arch.

If this would work, I would not see non-working ebuilds in x86 regularly. Portage on #1 (And I don't want to flame; I just observed it.)

non-working in what sense?
karl11
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aux_get(): (2) Error in net-misc/ksambaplugin-0.4.2 ebuild.
Check for syntax error or corruption in the ebuild. (--debug)

This one is still outstanding...the other bug has been fixed but was simply missing a "

It had simply not been tested before being committed.

As to writing a utility to verify syntax....hmmm....we'll have to see...I might write such a thing for PortageSQL 0.3. 0.2 is coming out sometime here in the near future....

Karl
handsomepete
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an idea; no idea how difficult it would be to implement in the real world:

Have something that watches for (or gets some sort of notification of) updates to the portage tree. Then, when that notification in whatever form is received, emerge it. If the emerge exits badly, send an email to a contact address saying that a test of x emerge failed on y hardware at z time.

I have a k6-2 I'm willing to donate to the cause that isn't doing anything - it'd only take a couple people. Granted, it's an ugly stopgap (but real world testing) measure... but just a thought. *shrug*
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggestions to help the tree... Reply with quote

avenj wrote:
non-working in what sense?

Regarding portage the ebuild works, but I have the impression every version introduces new bugs (w.g. portage-2.0.48-r5,6,7, and portage-2.0.48-r6 was marked stable a short time).

Other "stable" samples: app-admin/aide-0.9 doesn't compile with postgres-flag enabled. net-firewall/fwbuilder-1.0.10 doesn't compile for me. Bug 24862 and 25339

Not related to arch, but there should be a more restricted way, how to write ebuilds and submit them. Eg. in mod_perl-1.99.09 I found the following: MY_PV=$(echo $PV | perl -pe 's/\.([^.]+)$/_\1/'). Even though it is an perl related ebuild, I think it would be better to restrict ebuilds to shell scripting and python, to keep the tree clear and readable.

A still missing feature: Bug 8423.

Carlo
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: