firefox and flash on x86 [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bitozoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: firefox and flash on x86 [solved] Reply with quote

It crashes my browser as soon as a page with flash appears. Is there a way to debug what's wrong with my flash player?

I have tried with
- firefox-bin-2
- firefox-3
- firefox-bin-3

Have tried with different plugins:
- netscape-flash
- the one from adobe
- others from: http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14266

I have also tried with opera, but it does not work.

Finally, I have had a look lo libflashplayer.so with this script:
http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Uk/uk.comp.os.linux/2006-03/msg00113.html
but nothing wrong appears.

Any hint?

Last edited by bitozoid on Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how did you try these plugins? where did the files go? it is generally not a good idea to "install" stuff in the filesystem of your gentoo installation without knowing exactly what they do. additionally netscape-flash actually is the adobe flash player. it comes in different versions via portage. you will find everything you need. an alternative would be gnash, but it doesn't work very well for me.
try deleting your ~/.mozilla/firefox directory. of course back up things you will need again. if that does not work, unmerge firefox and delete everything that eventually is left. check the output of the unmerge and lookout for non-empty directories that are firefox specific. then emerge firefox again and give it a try.
bitozoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed others plugins, by removing the old ones and manually installing in ~/.mozilla/plugins. I think this is safe and it looked coherent in firefox.

The ebuild netscape-flash is not updated for version 9.

I tried deleting the ~/.mozilla/firefox directory but it didn't work. I tried this with firefox and firefox-bin.

I'm just installing my system from scratch, so no files should be left from previous installations.

Finally, I did try with flash version 9 from the older flash versions and it did work! It worked also in opera. I think this is a plugin issue and not a firefox issue.

I think I'll wait for new flash 10 versions.

Last edited by bitozoid on Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
alex.blackbit
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

net-www/netscape-flash is available as version 10.0.12.36-r1 and 10.0.20.7_alpha in the portage tree. the former is even stable, the latter is for amd64 installations.
bitozoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My system must be unstable somehow, but 10.0.12.36-r1 doesn't work for me.

Thanks a lot for the information.
bitozoid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I found it!!

If you ldd libflashplayer.so or /usr/lib/mozilla-firefox/firefox you find lots of libraries. All of them where compiled with gcc.

However, some packages of my system where compiled with intel compiler (icc) with no errors. One of them was dev-libs/openssl, which provides /usr/lib/libcrypto.so. This library does not appear in previous ldd output.

I ran firefox with gdb and the fault was in this library. I recompiled it with gcc and voilà. It worked. It must be a second order dependency or something like that. Flash version 9 seems to depend of a fewer number of libraries. So that, it worked before.

Hope this helps to someone. Sorry for your time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: