Disk problem installing system based on Intel DG45FC
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jelsgaard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Disk problem installing system based on Intel DG45FC Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm currently trying to install Gentoo on a system based on the Intel DG45FC motherboard. I'm able to boot the CD but the installation proces comes to a halt with a message indicating that the root file system containing the installation files cannot be found.

I've tried dropping to the shell and listing the contents of /dev. Sure enough, neither the optical drive nor the hard drive is shown here (both of which are on a SATA bus). My best guess based on various postings on the net is that the motherboard new enough it is not supported in the kernel from the 2008.0 livecd. But, I have not been able to test this, as I cannot figure out how to replace the kernel on the live-cd with a newer one. The on-board NIC seems to be unsupported as well, so pulling a kernel from the internet is not really an option.

I would really appreciate if someone can help me/point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check your hardware and if it is supported by the kernel on the livecd (if you haven't already).
look at the output of lspci, if you have net, try to
Code:
update-pciids
first.

if you can't install the system with the gentoo livecd just use another one. i found systemrescuecd (www.sysresccd.org) very easy in cases like that (i'm sure there's a lot more out there).
if your hw is supported you can start an ssh-server on the box and use copy&paste from the online installation docs (very convenient :wink: )
GOOD LUCK!
jelsgaard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DawgG wrote:
check your hardware and if it is supported by the kernel on the livecd (if you haven't already).
look at the output of lspci, if you have net, try to
Code:
update-pciids
first.

if you can't install the system with the gentoo livecd just use another one. i found systemrescuecd (www.sysresccd.org) very easy in cases like that (i'm sure there's a lot more out there).
if your hw is supported you can start an ssh-server on the box and use copy&paste from the online installation docs (very convenient :wink: )
GOOD LUCK!

That did the trick! Thanks a million for the pointers :)

As a future reference for anyone who might have the same problem, this solution worked for me:

1) Grab a cd image from www.sysresccd.org (version 1.13 worked for me, higher versions probably will as well)
2) Burn the image to CD/DVD.
3) Boot the machine from the disc created in the previous step. In my case the SATA drives were now detected and working correctly. That is, the SATA devices show up in /dev/.
4) I don't know if this a bug/problem with the sys rescue image but the on-board NIC didn't fire up automatically. Just run net-setup eth0 and you should be fine.
5) Bam! A working environment to use as a point of departure for installation, etc.

Important! I'm unsure if this only worked when I used the alternative 32-bit kernel, so just to be sure, hit F2 during boot and select the alternative 32-bit kernel (haven't tested 64-bit).
DawgG
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That did the trick!

glad it worked! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: