USB Problems (Kernel Lockup)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: USB Problems (Kernel Lockup) Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Zaurus SL-5500, which I really like. However, I've had the following problems with deadly kernel lockups. Here's the story:

The Zaurus maintains a connection with the computer with a PPP network connection. In order to connect to my PDA on my GNU/Linux box, I needed to download a kernel patch for 2.4.19 with a module called usbdnet. Once the kernel module is loaded, and the Zaurus is in the cradle wihle powered on, a new ethernet device is created. At first I needed to maintain IP and netmask addresses in /etc/hotplug, until I upgraded the Zaurus ROM to 2.38 which uses DHCP to connect instead to eliminate a secuirty issue.

Either way, when transferring large files, or even just repetative file checking on my computer, my system with do a hard lockup and the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock LEDs flash. I figured this to be a problem with the usbdnet module is dealt with having to do a hard reset everytime it happened (And it happened frequently.) *shudder*

However, I think there might be a problem with the kernel. I recently purchased a USB CF Reader and a 256mb CF card for my Zaurus. I use the usb-storage module in order to mount the CF, which *seems* to work, except sometimes when I'm transferring a lot of data, like recently when I was copying a couple hours of Ogg Vorbis files to the CF so I could listen to them on my Zaurus, my system would do a hard lock again! While installing other files, it even locked up on me once while copying a 512k file.

I figured that since this is obviously a USB problem, since these two USB deviecs do this, I would try different things in the kernel. I tried enabling USB Bandwidth allocation, but to no avail. File transfers are just slower and it still locks it up. I was advised to use the usb-uhci module as oppposed to the plain uhci module. Is that a mistake? Is that the cause of my problems? Does any one else have this problem with the vanillia 2.4.19 kernel (Or even vanilla patched with the usbdnet module?)

I would really appreciate the help.
phi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I said "... transferring large files, or even just repetative file checking on my computer ..." that was in reference to running Qtopia Desktop, the interface to the Zaurus. As in, copying a huge file from my computer to the Zaurus' memory through the usbdnet module.
plate
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: USB Problems (Kernel Lockup) Reply with quote

phi wrote:
In order to connect to my PDA on my GNU/Linux box, I needed to download a kernel patch for 2.4.19 with a module called usbdnet. Once the kernel module is loaded, and the Zaurus is in the cradle wihle powered on, a new ethernet device is created.

Did you uncheck the other USB network support option modules when you compiled your patched kernel? usbdnet is said to be in conflict with CDCEther, that's all I can think of in terms of possible reasons for your crashes.

I'm testing right now with a Japanese SL-A300, but that is already different in many regards, so I doubt that my experiences will be of much use for the 5x00 models. For example, I've found that Mandrake 8.2's default kernel that's supposed to work for the SL-5500 without any patches doesn't like the A300 at all.

Question to the Gentoo kernel artists, just in case any of them are reading this: Is this usbdnet patch something you plan on providing in one of the kernel source packages?

phi wrote:
At first I needed to maintain IP and netmask addresses in /etc/hotplug, until I upgraded the Zaurus ROM to 2.38 which uses DHCP to connect instead to eliminate a secuirty issue.

You still need to hotplug, don't you, and somehow manage to enable bridging to connect to the Internet from your Zaurus. Care to post your /etc/hotplug/usb/usbdnet file?

phi wrote:
I was advised to use the usb-uhci module as oppposed to the plain uhci module. Is that a mistake?

I have no idea, I didn't even know there were two. Really sorry, I hope there are others better than me at helping out with this. :(
acidreign
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: SMP Reply with quote

what is the chances you are using an SMP machine, there was some changes made to 2.4.19 in regards to USB and SMP. Might be worth your while to upgrade.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: