Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pa4wdh wrote:
Since i first installed Gentoo (i think it was 2004/2005) i completely fell in love with it :-) Comming from SuSE it was a great relief hot having YaST (their setup tool) undoing every change i made to config files myself and forcing you to do it the YaST way anyway.

(...)

Gentoo will be my distro of choice until it dies (which i expect it'll never do :-) ).
Sounds like my own story, so: Hear, hear! :)
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@cachOrrO,
I don't see why you need to put anything else but Gentoo on your mother's laptop.
My wife (73) didn't want to use my box,it's in my "den" and has a 24in monitor.
Even though I made her a seperate useraccount she didn't like it.
So we bought a laptop and I put Gentoo on it.
Sure ,we live in the same house,so I don't have to do things over the phone.
But the times she calls for help is for how to copy/paste and things like that.
Just make sure you use stable stuff.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
@cachOrrO,
I don't see why you need to put anything else but Gentoo on your mother's laptop.
My wife (73) didn't want to use my box,it's in my "den" and has a 24in monitor.
Even though I made her a seperate useraccount she didn't like it.
So we bought a laptop and I put Gentoo on it.
Sure ,we live in the same house,so I don't have to do things over the phone.
But the times she calls for help is for how to copy/paste and things like that.
Just make sure you use stable stuff.
Gerard.

It's a question of time spent configuring things.
Little things - things where I don't care if they work for *me*, but that she needs.
This was a replacement for a Windows box, so if I'm to get the user hooked, things need to "just work" out of the box. Old people hate change.

For me Gentoo is an ongoing learning process - I might spend a matter of a few days configuring something like a printer to my liking. Once I *do* finish, indeed it works beautifully. On hers I know I can snag a .deb, install it in a matter of minutes, and things *basically* work. Is this a slight on Portage? Heavens no - different tools for different jobs.

Packages on gentoo take longer to configure, almost across the board.
*I* am fine with this, because the reward for *me* is so well worth it in the end - but for my mother's laptop, she won't notice the subtle advantages, and any time I spend configuring something is time she can't spend on the laptop.

I need customization for me.
For her, I just need it to more or less work as a turnkey solution with little to no configuration required on my end.

Would it work better if I took the time configuring and tweaking? Absolutely. But I don't have the time, and as Gentoo is an ongoing education for me, I can't sit down and in a matter of minutes get something working exactly as I want - I simply don't have the knowledge to do so.

For the mother's laptop I can have the install done and updated in about an hour, maybe 90 minutes.
For a Gentoo build, to get *everything* working as it needs to be, it'd take me a few weeks.
Now consider having to move to new hardware - I need an OS I can throw away without reservation; I would be gutted if I had to wipe out a fine-tuned Gentoo installation.

For my machines a few weeks is fine.
For hers it is not. And again, I'm aware the end result would be a superior performing machine, but I simply don't have the time.

Of course, servers are another matter entirely.I can get a server sorted in a day or less :)

But yeah, different tools for different jobs.
thenilan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been living with Gentoo for past one year. I also these days recommend my college friends to go with gentoo. When my friends saw gentoo in my home, they all take me one copy of gentoo and take it to their home and tried.

Gentoo - I love you ....

Thanks to Gentoo team and contributors ....
indie
Syshalt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've felt into this hopeless and painful love with Gentoo since 1.4rc1 and just can't leave.
Tried many others - Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu, Centos, Debian, you name it. And left all of them - since those distros just *look* like they are gonna free you from "excessive maintainance" you think you're experiencing with Gentoo. But in reality you end up left at the mercy of developers with their decisions (that are poor sometimes) with a relatively poor help from the community. Gentoo community is #1 OS support in the world! All you need is just a search box and you've got competent answers in 2 minutes, that's why I'm still a "n00b" at the board after all those years, LOL :) With Gentoo, you can do whatever you want with your system, no limits, you're getting the best help regardless of what direction you choose instead of being told "that's because we have decided that *this* is the best for you". Just amazing.
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cach0rr0 wrote:
I do love gentoo, BUT, I shall be keeping Ubuntu on my mother's laptop

for you see she is 65 years old, and this is a laptop I gave her.

Gentoo will be on every desktop/laptop I intend to use for myself.
But when giving a laptop to my 65 year old mother, had to opt for Ubuntu. I need her to be able to use it without calling me all the damn time to fix something :)

Apples and oranges. Hopefully nobody thinks I'm flaming gentoo - if you see my other posts, far from it. Again, remember, 65 year old grandma with no tech savvy whatsoever "now mom, your linking consistency is off, I need you to...ok, go to Applications, Accessories, Root Terminal. Ok, now in that black box type 'romeo echo victor, hyphen, romeo echo bravo uniform indigo lima delta', and tell me what it says"

I still feel much safer having her on that, than I would having her using her old Windows 2000 desktop.
Gentoo is kinda high maintenance, I doubt anyone can deny that...

I've done the same, installed ubuntu on the machines of a couple of other poeple at their request.
I really need to take a look at opensuse or arch to see how "hassle free" and easy to maintain they are for this purpose.

Anyways, I started with gentoo, and I seriously doubt I could switch to something else now even if I wanted too (which I bloody well don't).
The flexibility of it is incomparable.

A few people in this thread have mentioned they use lighter window managers rather than full desktop environments, I firmly believe gentoo is the best option for any such setup, every other desktop distro I can think of is pretty much based on either kde or gnome (I've been using nothing but e16 for almost 5 years myself).
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syshalt wrote:
Tried many others - Fedora, Suse, Ubuntu, Centos, Debian, you name it. And left all of them - since those distros just *look* like they are gonna free you from "excessive maintainance" you think you're experiencing with Gentoo. But in reality you end up left at the mercy of developers with their decisions (that are poor sometimes) with a relatively poor help from the community.
True, however for a system you're setting up but not maintaining yourself or don't wanna be hassled all the time they can fit the bill, in such cases the developers choices, as poor as they may be for your needs, are most likely better than the choice someone someone will make if they have no clue wtf they're doing.
Or if not better, at least safer.

I'm only talking about the "why doesn't it 'just work', wah wah" people though.
doctork
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that Gentoo is as unstable as the user chooses to make it. Most of the people posting on these forums are, like me, hackers or hacker wannabees that insist on "the latest and greatest" of everything and so jump on everthing as soon as is becomes available. On the other hand, if one builds a system with only stable goodies from Gentoo, there's no reason to believe that the system would be any less stable than Ubuntu, Suse, etc., etc.
--
doc
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, I use only the testing branch ~amd64 without any overlay and it's very stable.
ppg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
In fact, I use only the testing branch ~amd64 without any overlay and it's very stable.

I agree, same for me
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, when something break, it can be fix pretty quick, since a lot of devs are running inside that arch :P
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppg wrote:
d2_racing wrote:

I agree, same for me
I run stable, however I have ~240 entries in my package.keywords, which is nearly half of the number of packages I have installed in total...

I prefer to keep a stable "base" system, as even though bugs can get fixed very fast, they do pop up from time to time, and I don't see any point in using an untested version of something when it doesn't really offer me any real advantages over the stable version.

But maybe that's just me...
doctork
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppg wrote:
d2_racing wrote:

I agree, same for me

I suppose it is "stable", but would you install it for your sweet gray-haired grandmother? :)
Would you recommend it to someone who doesn't regularly update their system software? Like Hopeless, I run stable with a large package.keywords, with a bit of package.unmask for spice.
--
doc
ppg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I like sets which comes with the new portage it's really a nice feature. And I am a lazy people, so I don't like to keywords half of my system.
I know if something goes wrong I will have to fix it by myself. Since two years I've been using gentoo the only major bug I had to deal with was e2fs which broke my system, but I heard stable users were impact too.
Running ~arch offers new version quicker than stable, but new bugs too. But we have to test it one day if we want it on "stable branch".

But for my grand-ma' I would not use gentoo because I wouldn't be there to do some emerge world. My grandfather was using Mandriva and now he is enjoying playing majong on ubuntu :wink:

Last edited by ppg on Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This week I had an other "why i love Gentoo" experience which i'd like to share with you :-)

At work we use RHEL on our servers, and we had to upgrade BIND because of the DoS bug which was found recently.
Instead of just upgrading the application and tools that come along with it, as soon as you install the rpm it also changes the permissions on all configuration files to whatever RH thinks it should be. Here's the catch: We tweaked those permissions so they worked for us, the old values wheren't even saved somewhere.
An other thing was that installing the RPM also automatically restarted the named process. This is really crazy. The server is running production traffic and you want to restart it on a controlled time in a controlled way, not because you upgraded a package. There was no way we could get around this.

This made me love Gentoo even more than I did:
- It wouldn't fiddle with permissions on files i set, or it would ask me before it does
- It won't restart anything without asking me

No way i'll ever install RHEL on my own hardware :-)

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
raddaqii
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with most of the above. After deciding to leave the windows world it took some three months or so to drop dual boot in early 2005. Keeping thunderbird in sync on both was easy enough, if tiresome, but besides leaving the The Bat!-world that was painless. And there was no real need to keep windows anymore after getting used to new apps and 'the gentoo way'. And yes, I'm sorta in love because of the excellent documentation. Not the 'click here, click there'-kind. :)

I also never understood why any distribution would start or restart a daemon just because you installed it. Or would be enforcing default configs even though you had pre-prepared ones. Even updating GRUB from within Ubuntu sometime in 2006 had screwed up my own symlink structure on a multi-distribution machine to a harsh and insensitive ubuntu-only default. We noticed only on reboot that 6 other distributions were missing. :twisted: Possibly my fault here, but unnecessary.

One company I used to worked for made quite a transition: Debian -> FreeBSD (which I quite liked) -> Suse -> finally Gentoo when moving to shiny new hardware again. Hasn't changed since.
OTOH there is nothing I can do to make my current employer drop SLES, since thats where you call the hotline to get paid support. My guess is some things do depend on the local admins who might be rather indifferent towards linux flavours but not to 'relaying responsibility'.

Different needs, different tools. Having talked most of my social environment into using open source apps already, when they ask for advice on whether to get the new windows version I shall suggest Gentoo or Ubuntu, as I did when Vista came up. They are ready for it, or linux anyhow. If in doubt I install Ubuntu for them, and have hardly heard complaints.

At home I am sometimes tempted by the shiny Mac OS X on the other desk, but that would deprive me of being able to build the hardware as well as kernels. No way I'm having that anytime soon. ;-)
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you state that such and such can't be done with *insert linux distro*, for example in an rpm based system install from source, or unpack the files and move them, or come up with some other creative way to install the desired app. In gentoo its not always as simple as emerge foo, what do you do when foo doesn't exist in portage? You create an ebuild or you manually build and install from source.....same as in rh or debian. One doesn't have to use gentoo to have a system that the inner workings are known. I will admit that unless you have a working knowledge of linux, other distros can in some ways be more difficult to administer. Like simply doing init 2 to install nvidia drivers in ubuntu will not get you where you want to be (gdm still runs) and killing X will simply get you right back to gdm....rediculous behavior for a seasoned gentoo'er. All that said, I once too was in love with all things gentoo....and still am I suppose. It just sounds rediculous to make it seem like you need gentoo to do certain things that can be done in all linux flavors, albeit harder in most. Not trying to rant, its just important to sound educated when you indeed are.....which I know most all of you are, else you just sound like a fanboy.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand this thing about maintenance.
Like I wrote earlier,I installed Gentoo on my wife's laptop.
I installed everything she might need and sofar haven't had any reason to do anything.
The hardware doesn't change so no need for new drivers.
Once it does what the person needs you're finished.
It never crashes and if it does just reboot.
Gerard.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
It just sounds rediculous to make it seem like you need gentoo to do certain things that can be done in all linux flavors, albeit harder in most. Not trying to rant, its just important to sound educated when you indeed are.....which I know most all of you are, else you just sound like a fanboy.

That's just it, though - the *ease* of customization in Gentoo. It is straightforward, simplistic, and well documented.
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
I installed everything she might need and sofar haven't had any reason to do anything.
Gerard.

Trying an experiment now with my other spare laptop
I initial had given my mother a Precision M70 laptop, with Ubuntu pre-loaded and configured to do what I knew she would need to do.

Recently I bought myself a new laptop, freeing up the Latitude D610 for experimentation; so indeed, I go through and get the basic functions working as they were on the Ubuntu box.

We will see how well the experiment works out. For most people the age of my mother, they care only about the intuitiveness of the desktop environment. I should have probably done apples to apples and loaded Gnome on the new laptop, but the custom fit E17 may prove to be just as tolerable.

...that is, as soon as E gets their file manager/navigator sorted out and matured. It's still a bit dodgy
doctork
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
Gerard.

Not to get all pseudo-psychological, but it depends on whether you see the computer as a means to an end or an end in itself. I think those who spend a lot of time tuning the computer (and I don't exclude myself here) tend towards the "end in itself" camp. :)
--
doc
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doctork wrote:
Gerard van Vuuren wrote:
Gerard.

Not to get all pseudo-psychological, but it depends on whether you see the computer as a means to an end or an end in itself. I think those who spend a lot of time tuning the computer (and I don't exclude myself here) tend towards the "end in itself" camp. :)
--
doc

Technically and philosophically I consider computer as a means to an end, but in practise, I tend to treat them as though they are ends in themselves. I just have this inner motivation to make them work; when someone asks for computer help, I'm more concerned about whether or not the computer works securely and efficiently than about how the person feels about it. Don't tell my company that, of course :) Even on my own computer, sometimes it seems that I spend more time adjusting and configuring them for fun than I do just using them.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ keet,
Same here.
On my own computer I'm experimenting all the time.
Sometimes with disastrous consequenses.
Gerard.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keet wrote:
Even on my own computer, sometimes it seems that I spend more time adjusting and configuring them for fun than I do just using them.

This is why I started using gentoo so many years ago, but sometimes that bleeding edge will cut you :)
raddaqii
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..and even if it cuts you the community usually knows how to fix. documentation is awesome, and the forums date back to april 2002 .. and there are heaps of threads from started around 2006 still active.. :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: