missing /usr/lib64/libcucul.la [SOLVED - I think]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: missing /usr/lib64/libcucul.la [SOLVED - I think] Reply with quote

Hi,
I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me which package this mysterious libcucul.la file belongs to. equery belongs turns up no results and I've dug myself a hole which a huge world update -- dependency hell etc -- so it seems my only option is to make this file no longer missing before I can proceed with anything. I did have a couple lockups that resulted in a few fsck errors on the root partition that could very well be the reason this file is missing but I really don't know for sure. If someone could kindly help me get this file back it would be greatly appreciated. My dependencies are so messed up at this point because of the huge world update and a few emerge --skipfirst commands that I can't even do a revdep-rebuild.... I was hoping to emerge the exact package this file comes from by itself in order to fix the problem... please help if you can!

Thanks!

Last edited by nasaiya on Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please post the actual error.
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the actual error was just "file not found" or something to that effect during linking in quite a few packages... however after masking and unmasking various packages I managed to get revdep-rebuild to stop complaining and run successfully so I resumed the world update and so far no compiles have failed... I'm not sure which one it was but I think revdep-rebuild got the package that was the problem.

I doubt I'll find out exactly what the problem was if it is in fact fixed but I'll post an update if I do. For some reason that file disappeared and the other problems (like revdep-rebuild not wanting to run) were just dependency issues caused by me slacking and not updating my system often enough... and of course I am using full blown ~amd64 system so alot of things came together at once to cause the problems... anyway it seems to be running fine for now. All part of the fun of learning!

Thanks anyway!

EDIT: Added [SOLVED] to post subject as I believe this should be considered solved..
santiago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experiencing this problem building vlc. It dies with an error that grep couldn't find libcucul.la

Actually the file does not exist. I think it should belong to libcaca, but equery files only reports libcucul.so belonging to libcaca.
I tried removing the libcaca use flag but vlc still fails.

Is this a libcaca ebuild bug, a vlc ebuild bug, neither? :S

[...]
Code:

mv -f .deps/libaout_sdl_plugin_la-sdl.Tpo .deps/libaout_sdl_plugin_la-sdl.Plo                                                       
/bin/sh ../../libtool --tag=CC   --mode=link x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-gcc -std=gnu99 `top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --cflags plugin libaout_sdl_plugin.la` -march=k8 -O2 -pipe -Wall -Wextra -Wsign-compare -Wundef -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wmissing-prototypes -Wvolatile-register-var -rpath '/usr/lib64/vlc/audio_output' -avoid-version -module -no-undefined -export-symbol-regex ^vlc_entry -shrext .so `top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config --ldflags plugin libaout_sdl_plugin.la`  -o libaout_sdl_plugin.la  libaout_sdl_plugin_la-sdl.lo  `top_builddir="../.." ../../vlc-config -libs plugin libaout_sdl_plugin.la` ../../src/libvlccore.la   
/bin/grep: /usr/lib64/libcucul.la: No such file or directory                                                                         
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib64/libcucul.la: No such file or directory                                                               
libtool: link: `/usr/lib64/libcucul.la' is not a valid libtool archive   
make[4]: *** [libaout_sdl_plugin.la] Error 1                                                                                         
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6/modules/audio_output'                             
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2                                                                                                           
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6/modules/audio_output'                             
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1                                                                                                 
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6/modules'                                           
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1                                                                                                 
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6'                                                   
make: *** [all] Error 2                                                                                                             
 *                                                                                                                                   
 * ERROR: media-video/vlc-0.9.6 failed.                                                                                             
 * Call stack:                                                                                                                       
 * ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile                                                                                         
 * environment, line 3678:  Called die                                                                                               
 * The specific snippet of code:
 * emake || die "make of VLC failed"
 * The die message:
 * make of VLC failed

Code:

equery files libcaca   
[ Searching for packages matching libcaca... ]       
* Contents of media-libs/libcaca-0.99_beta16:       
/usr                                                 
/usr/bin                                             
/usr/bin/caca-config                                 
/usr/bin/cacademo                                   
/usr/bin/cacafire                                   
/usr/bin/cacaplay                                   
/usr/bin/cacaserver                                 
/usr/bin/cacaview                                   
/usr/bin/img2txt                                     
/usr/include                                         
/usr/include/caca++.h                               
/usr/include/caca.h                                 
/usr/include/caca0.h                                 
/usr/include/caca_types.h                           
/usr/include/cucul.h -> caca.h                       
/usr/lib64                                           
/usr/lib64/caca-sharp                               
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.a                               
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.la                             
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.so -> libcaca++.so.0.99.16     
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.so.0 -> libcaca++.so.0.99.16   
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.so.0.99.16                     
/usr/lib64/libcaca.a                                 
/usr/lib64/libcaca.la                               
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so -> libcaca.so.0.99.16         
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so.0 -> libcaca.so.0.99.16       
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so.0.99.16                       
/usr/lib64/libcucul++.so -> libcaca++.so             
/usr/lib64/libcucul++.so.0 -> libcaca++.so.0         
/usr/lib64/libcucul++.so.0.99.16 -> libcaca++.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcucul.so -> libcaca.so                   
/usr/lib64/libcucul.so.0 -> libcaca.so.0               
/usr/lib64/libcucul.so.0.99.16 -> libcaca.so.0.99.16   
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig                                   
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/caca++.pc                         
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/caca.pc                           
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/cucul++.pc -> caca++.pc           
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/cucul.pc -> caca.pc               
/usr/share                                             
/usr/share/doc                                         
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16                     
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/AUTHORS.bz2         
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/ChangeLog.bz2       
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/NEWS.bz2             
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/NOTES.bz2           
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/README.bz2           
/usr/share/libcaca                                     
/usr/share/libcaca/caca.txt                             
/usr/share/man                                         
/usr/share/man/man1                                     
/usr/share/man/man1/caca-config.1.bz2                   
/usr/share/man/man1/cacafire.1.bz2                     
/usr/share/man/man1/cacaplay.1.bz2                     
/usr/share/man/man1/cacaserver.1.bz2                   
/usr/share/man/man1/cacaview.1.bz2                     
/usr/share/man/man1/img2txt.1.bz2         

Code:

emerge --info
WARNING: repository at /usr/portage/local/santiago is missing a repo_name entry
 * Overlay eclass overrides eclass from PORTDIR:                               
 *   '/usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects/eclass/bzr.eclass'             
 * It is best to avoid overriding eclasses from PORTDIR because it will       
 * trigger invalidation of cached ebuild metadata that is distributed with     
 * the portage tree. If you must override eclasses from PORTDIR then you       
 * are advised to add FEATURES="metadata-transfer" to /etc/make.conf and to   
 * run `emerge --regen` after each time that you run `emerge --sync`. Set     
 * PORTAGE_ECLASS_WARNING_ENABLE="0" in /etc/make.conf if you would like to   
 * disable this warning.                                                       
Portage 2.2_rc13 (default-linux/amd64/2007.0/desktop, gcc-4.2.4, glibc-2.8_p20080602-r0, 2.6.27-gentoo-r2 x86_64)
=================================================================                                               
System uname: Linux-2.6.27-gentoo-r2-x86_64-AMD_Athlon-tm-_64_Processor_3500+-with-glibc2.2.5                   
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 07 Nov 2008 12:01:01 +0000                                                               
app-shells/bash:     3.2_p39                                                                                     
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.1.6-r1                                                                           
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4-r15, 2.5.2-r8                                                                         
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r6                                                                                   
dev-util/cmake:      2.6.2                                                                                       
sys-apps/baselayout: 2.0.0                                                                                       
sys-apps/openrc:     0.3.0-r1                                                                                   
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.18.1-r3                                                                                 
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.63                                                                                 
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10.1-r1                                 
sys-devel/binutils:  2.19                                                                                       
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.4.0-r4                                                                                   
sys-devel/libtool:   2.2.6a                                                                                     
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.27-r2                                                                                   
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64 ~amd64"                                                                                   
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                     
CFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"                                                                                     
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"                                                                                     
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/config /var/bind"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/splash /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c /etc/udev/rules.d"                                                                                               
CXXFLAGS="-march=k8 -O2 -pipe"                                                                                                       
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"                                                                                                     
FEATURES="distlocks parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unmerge-orphans userfetch"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http://distfiles.gentoo.org ftp://mirror.datapipe.net/gentoo http://gentoo.mirrors.tds.net/gentoo"
LANG="es_AR"
LC_ALL="es_AR"
LDFLAGS=""
LINGUAS="en es es_AR"
MAKEOPTS=""
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage/local/layman/desktop-effects /usr/portage/local/santiago"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="3dnow 3dnowext X aalib acl acpi alsa amd amd64 apache apache2 arts be berkdb cairo cdr ch cli cracklib crypt cups dbm dbus dri dv dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode es esd evo fam ffmpeg fi firefox flac fortran gd gdb gdbm gg gif glib gpm gs gstreamer gtk gtk2hal iconv ipod ipv6 irc is isdn isdnlog it java javascript jp jpeg kde kerberos ldap libcaca lirc lm_sensors mad midi mikmod mmx mmxext mod mouse mp3 mpe mpeg mplayer mudflap musepack musicbrainz ncurses nforce2 nl nls no nptl nptlonly ntfs nvidia ode offensive oggopengl openmp oss pam pcre pdf perl png pppd ps pt python qt qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime re readline reflection scanner sdl sessionspell spl sse sse2 ssl stream svg tcp tcpd tiff tk truetype type1 unicode ups usb v4l vdr vorbis wma wmf wmp xext xml xorg xv xvid yp zlib" ALSA_CARDS="hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m usb-audio bt87x ens1370 ens1371" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mmap_emul mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" APACHE2_MODULES="actions alias auth_basic auth_digest authn_anon authn_dbd authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache dav dav_fs dav_lock dbd deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers ident imagemap include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation proxy proxy_ajp proxy_balancer proxy_connect proxy_http rewrite setenvif so speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="en es es_AR" LIRC_DEVICES="devinput" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nv v4l fbdev nvidia vesa"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, FFLAGS, INSTALL_MASK, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS

Last edited by santiago on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
santiago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I just realised that all libcucul* files are links to their respective libcaca* files
Code:

ls libcucul* -lh
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2008-11-07 10:57 libcucul.so -> libcaca.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2008-11-07 10:57 libcucul++.so -> libcaca++.so
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 12 2008-11-07 10:57 libcucul.so.0 -> libcaca.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 2008-11-07 10:57 libcucul++.so.0 -> libcaca++.so.0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 18 2008-11-07 10:57 libcucul.so.0.99.16 -> libcaca.so.0.99.16
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 2008-11-07 10:57 libcucul++.so.0.99.16 -> libcaca++.so.0.99.16

So i just made a link
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libcaca.la /usr/lib/libcucul.la

and vlc compiled. But this should have been done at libcaca emerge. Probably something in the configure needs to be fixed. (And vlc use libcaca instead of the deprecated libcucul)

Last edited by santiago on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiago wrote:

Well I can say for sure it's not just a vlc bug... vlc was the first package with the problem for me but there were many others as well. As for anything else I can't say. My problems still seem to be fixed although I'm still not entirely sure why... ;)

Good luck
santiago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nasaiya wrote:
santiago wrote:

Well I can say for sure it's not just a vlc bug... vlc was the first package with the problem for me but there were many others as well. As for anything else I can't say. My problems still seem to be fixed although I'm still not entirely sure why... ;)

Yes, it has nothing to do with vlc. The problem is that libcaca isn't creating a link. That can be a problem of the ebuild but I think it is of libcaca itself.

If you make the link manually ( ln -s /usr/lib/libcaca.la /usr/lib/libcucul.la ) you should probably unmask every package you masked as a workaround for this problem and update your system with no errors.
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The libcaca guys decided to remerge the cucul stuff into caca; maybe the libcucul.la file isn't supposed to exist anymore? If that's the case, the applications' configure scripts should be modified accordingly. Is symlinking to libcaca.la a confirmed workaround?
santiago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenon wrote:
The libcaca guys decided to remerge the cucul stuff into caca; maybe the libcucul.la file isn't supposed to exist anymore? If that's the case, the applications' configure scripts should be modified accordingly. Is symlinking to libcaca.la a confirmed workaround?

It worked for me. I could emerge vlc and watch a video in colorful ascii art :P
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the workaround works, too. Also, considering that all installed libcucul* files are symlinks to libcaca* ones, this could be considered a fix for the install script rather than a workaround, after all. :)
tnt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiago wrote:
I'm experiencing this problem building vlc. It dies with an error that grep couldn't find libcucul.la

me, too.

Code:
/lib64/libdbus-1.so -lrt -lpthread -ldl -lm  -march=core2 -Wl,-O1 -Wl,--sort-common -Wl,--as-needed   -Wl,-soname -Wl,liboss_plugin.so -o .libs/liboss_plugin.so                                                                             
/bin/grep: /usr/lib64/libcucul.la: No such file or directory                                                                                                                                                                                 
/bin/sed: can't read /usr/lib64/libcucul.la: No such file or directory                                                                                                                                                                       
libtool: link: `/usr/lib64/libcucul.la' is not a valid libtool archive                                                                                                                                                                       
make[4]: *** [libaout_sdl_plugin.la] Error 1                                                                                                                                                                                                 
make[4]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....                                                                                                                                                                                                 
libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "liboss_plugin.la" && ln -s "../liboss_plugin.la" "liboss_plugin.la" )
libtool: link: ( cd ".libs" && rm -f "libalsa_plugin.la" && ln -s "../libalsa_plugin.la" "libalsa_plugin.la" )
make[4]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6/modules/audio_output'
make[3]: *** [all] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6/modules/audio_output'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6/modules'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/work/vlc-0.9.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2
 * ERROR: media-video/vlc-0.9.6 failed.
 * Call stack:
 * ebuild.sh, line   49:  Called src_compile
 * environment, line 3648:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 * emake || die "make of VLC failed"
 * The die message:
 * make of VLC failed
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/temp/environment'.

>>> Failed to emerge media-video/vlc-0.9.6, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/media-video/vlc-0.9.6/temp/build.log'

symlink hack solved the problem.

ugly bug...
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

santiago wrote:
xenon wrote:

It worked for me. I could emerge vlc and watch a video in colorful ascii art :P

I actually did NOT do that and the problem is gone for me... I was masking and unmasking packages to try to get my world update to finish and eventually after revdep-rebuilds, emerge @preserved-rebuilds and some skipfirsts i got through almost all of the update... I believe I synced again after that and that was probably what fixed the problem... I'm not positive what fixed it, but I did NOT make any symlinks or play with anything else outside of portage and all the offending packages including vlc happily compiled... sorry I can't be more helpful but thats what happened for me... I think I"m going to start logging everything I do with portage from now on.

EDIT: If it is strange to all of you why its working for me I'd be happy to post any info about my config that you want... just ask
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, maybe you could post a list of files owned by the libcaca package (equery f libcaca as root); the other possibility would be for all involved packages to have updated their configure scripts to point to libcaca.la instead of libcucul.la, but this seems unlikely. Is there another option I can't think of right now?
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenon wrote:
Well, maybe you could post a list of files owned by the libcaca package (equery f libcaca as root); the other possibility would be for all involved packages to have updated their configure scripts to point to libcaca.la instead of libcucul.la, but this seems unlikely. Is there another option I can't think of right now?

Code:
amd ~ # equery f libcaca
[ Searching for packages matching libcaca... ]
* Contents of media-libs/libcaca-0.99_beta16:
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/bin/caca-config
/usr/bin/cacademo
/usr/bin/cacafire
/usr/bin/cacaplay
/usr/bin/cacaserver
/usr/bin/cacaview
/usr/bin/img2txt
/usr/include
/usr/include/caca++.h
/usr/include/caca.h
/usr/include/caca0.h
/usr/include/caca_types.h
/usr/include/cucul.h -> caca.h
/usr/lib64
/usr/lib64/caca-sharp
/usr/lib64/caca-sharp/caca-sharp.dll
/usr/lib64/caca-sharp/caca-sharp.dll.config
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.a
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.la
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.so -> libcaca++.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.so.0 -> libcaca++.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcaca++.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcaca.a
/usr/lib64/libcaca.la
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so -> libcaca.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so.0 -> libcaca.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcaca.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcucul++.so -> libcaca++.so
/usr/lib64/libcucul++.so.0 -> libcaca++.so.0
/usr/lib64/libcucul++.so.0.99.16 -> libcaca++.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/libcucul.so -> libcaca.so
/usr/lib64/libcucul.so.0 -> libcaca.so.0
/usr/lib64/libcucul.so.0.99.16 -> libcaca.so.0.99.16
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/caca++.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/caca.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/cucul++.pc -> caca++.pc
/usr/lib64/pkgconfig/cucul.pc -> caca.pc
/usr/lib64/ruby
/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby
/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/caca.rb
/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux
/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/caca.la
/usr/lib64/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/x86_64-linux/caca.so
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/AUTHORS.bz2
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/ChangeLog.bz2
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/NEWS.bz2
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/NOTES.bz2
/usr/share/doc/libcaca-0.99_beta16/README.bz2
/usr/share/libcaca
/usr/share/libcaca/caca.txt
/usr/share/man
/usr/share/man/man1
/usr/share/man/man1/caca-config.1.bz2
/usr/share/man/man1/cacafire.1.bz2
/usr/share/man/man1/cacaplay.1.bz2
/usr/share/man/man1/cacaserver.1.bz2
/usr/share/man/man1/cacaview.1.bz2
/usr/share/man/man1/img2txt.1.bz2

Well it seems the symlinks are in place... don't ask me how they get there though... how weird.... The only thing I can think of is we have different versions. I just checked and I don't have any versions of libcaca masked (so it should be current at least as current as my post saying I fixed it that is) and emerge -pv didn't tell me anything about whether my libcaca is from the normal portage or an overlay (I do have desktop-effects overlay installed using layman but thats the only one). I don't know of anything else to check.
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't get the libcucul.la -> libcaca.la symlink, either, and that's what seemed to be the source of problems to me.
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xenon wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you didn't get the libcucul.la -> libcaca.la symlink, either, and that's what seemed to be the source of problems to me.

Oops you're right... I must have been looking at libcucul.so by mistake when I said that...

Anyway I definitely do not have that symlink... yet the packages like vlc still built... I'll see if I can figure out why.

Sorry about the confusion -- I should stay away from the computer when I'm really tired
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, no problem man! But it's strange that you can compile packages without the symlink (well, some do, like mplayer, but VLC definitely did not for me). All I can think of is different versions of packages or source tarballs silently updated with configure scripts pointing to libcaca.la, but neither seems to be the case. Silly question: you certainly have libcaca installed, but are you actually building VLC with caca support (USE flag on)? Hmm... wait, what exactly is the USE flag activating caca support? I guess it's included in aa (libaa flag).
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well just for the hell of it I tried to reinstall vlc last night to see if it still builds -- and it does. That's media-video/vlc-0.9.6 btw.
The use flag for libcaca is just "libcaca" and it is activated...

I was going to grep the build log once it was done for any caca/cucul stuff but it seems that build logs get erased along with the source stuff in var/tmp when a package compiles successfully so I couldn't do that. I suppose I could ctrl C it right when it hits the install phase and do that... I have some backing up to do but I'll try that once I'm done. Maybe at least I can determine what files vlc is actually using that way.

This is one of those things that's just gonna bug me until I figure it out lol.
Taekyon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, I had the same problem.

The symlink hack is not the correct solution.

What actually definitely solves the problem for good is revdep-rebuild.
So packages are built agains the new libcucul which does NOT have the file you created with the symlink.
nasaiya
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that did seem to be what fixed it for me... I just had so many different things going on it was hard to tell what caused/fixed what. I hope its that simple for everyone else.
santiago
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taekyon wrote:
What actually definitely solves the problem for good is revdep-rebuild.
So packages are built agains the new libcucul which does NOT have the file you created with the symlink.

That makes sense, and I'm pretty sure I tried it and nothing was recompiled by revdep-rebuild :?
Now I removed vlc and the symlink and run revdep-rebuild. Many packages were recompiled and some of them claimed libcucul.la. Then I could emerge vlc with no problems.

I don't know if some upgrade caused that revdep-rebuild fixed it this time, or maybe I didn't executed it at all. I'm really confused right now.

And I think I did a big mess because I reported the absence of the symlink and the maintainer of the library fixed it http://caca.zoy.org/ticket/49
Maybe I should make a comment because now gentoo was blamed with no apparent reason. :?
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would be the role of revdep-rebuild? When this problem occurred to me, I had the latest release of libcaca and I was uggrading vlc. So vlc was being freshly built against the lastest caca (which missed the file in question). The problem was in a reference to the missing file contained in the configure script of vlc (and other packages).
VoidMage
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're wrong. This is more like what happened when libxcb-xlib was introduced.

When a package, that depended on libcaca, was using libtool in build process,
part of the content of libcaca's la file was injected to that packages la file
- exactly the part that had libcucul reference.
So, every lib, that depended on libcaca and was using libtool to build,
ended up with libcucul in its la file.

Now, that libcucul is gone, you have to simply get rid of those libcucul references
from la files, but in most cases that means revdep-rebuild and often
revdep-rebuild fails to discover such problem.
xenon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that makes sense. I had missed the libtool role in the matter. That would also fit with the fact that some packages using libcaca/cucul like mplayer continued to build correctly. I have to admit my knowledge of the configure/build/make world is pretty limited.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: