My Gentoo Livecd 2008 r1 image troubles
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: My Gentoo Livecd 2008 r1 image troubles Reply with quote

There is a new trouble about this livecd 2008 r1 iso file.When I want to build a gentoo OS with livecd,it shows me there is no such directory or file.It is just the grub file lost.I just copy do my installation in command line.

When I change directory to boot folder.there is no grub folder,and only .keep,and lost+found.I am so doubt whether I was wrong to copy files.I have check for several times,but it doesn't help.
So,who can tell me what's the trouble.It can not find grub folder and resource in /mnt/gentoo/boot directory only.Hope someone can give me a good suggestion.Best regards.
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add on:I have installed Gentoo livecd 2007 sucessfully last year.Why as the same method installing Gentoo livecd 2008 failed?The same cml:"cp -af /mnt/livecd/* /mnt/gentoo/" but Gentoo 2007 livecd's boot directory have grub folder and grub resource,Gentoo 2008 livecd r1 have no such folder or resource.It is so strange.
szczerb
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why won't you just do a normal installation with a minimal CD?
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a working internet connection, and it is feasible for you to do a network installation using the minimal installation disc, that is GREATLY preferred over the LiveCD. The handbook should guide you through every aspect of the minimal installation, and if you should have trouble, we are always here to provide support. :)
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all the above.I know that's a good suggestion to install with a minalCD,But my internet band with so slow to download the files.If I installing it with network,I think I have to cost about 7 hours or more than.So I decided to install with livecd 2008 r1 image file to burn a cd disc.
yumyum
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been able to install the 2008.0 livecd(don't know what happened but it seemed like the kernel got lost somewhere(lol)), but the 2007 worked just fine. I was better of just installing the minimal cd. :>
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yumyum.Maybe I have knew what's the trouble.The R1 image maybe a rescue disc for system.Here in the American mirrors I found there are two images.One is Livecd installer image,another is Livecd installer-R1 image.Maybe I have download a wrong image file.
And so on.The installer cd have three link must be link to boot partition.kernel,system.map,initramfs.You can use soft link to boot partition.use cml :ln -s kernel-xxx-xxx vmlinuz to help remember.Because everyone knows vmlinuz in Redhat linux.And change initramfs to initrd.img use this command:ln -s initramfs-xxxxxx-xx initrd.img. If You have done this,and check out whether your boot partition have these files:kernel-genkernel-2.6.24-x86-gentoo-r5;System.map-genkernel-2.6.24-x86-gentoo-r5;initramfs-genkernel-2.6.24-x86-gentoo-r5.This is the important file in booting up.check out the fstab is also the key.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I think that you should try to boot with the latest SystemRescueCD and do a minimal Gentoo installation method like the handbook.
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emm.It seems to be a good suggestion.I will try.Thanks.Now I try to solve it with my mind.
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Failed for installing Gentoo livecd 2008.Because the /mnt/gentoo/boot directory have no grub files and kernel ,initramfs file.
It costs me 3hours to download the installer image,but helpless.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, the LiveCD can be really buggy. It might be that the minimal installation is your only viable option, even with limited bandwidth. As I have no experience with the LiveCD, I can't really even offer any suggestions. If you need help with the minimal installation, though, I would be more than happy to help, as would just about anyone here in the community.
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.Thanks kalos.I think the minal CD is the best suggestion for me.Because I was so disappointer at Livecd 2008.
Thanks a lot,everyone.I have to end this discussion.Thank you for helping me.
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome. If you have any further questions, or need more help, please don't hesitate to ask. :)
cach0rr0
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
Hi, I think that you should try to boot with the latest SystemRescueCD and do a minimal Gentoo installation method like the handbook.

I second this, for what it's worth. I've had good luck doing so, and this seems to be growing into quite a popular method (understandably so)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, that's a must right now :P
hibfnv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry,I am late.Because of our disappoint network connections.It wasn't work for three days.My God.I am crazy!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: