Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
papapenguin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: solved! Reply with quote

ok, so what I did was to re-emerge ss and com_err

which brought back the 'old' versions...

then I forced the new version of e2fsprogs, then got rid of ss , com_err and e2fsprogs, removed the old version of revdep-rebuild and ran revdep-rebuild again...

that got me back!

phewww...
------------------------
binary_runner
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: if you use paludis ... Reply with quote

0/ make backups:
qpkg sys-libs/ss; qpkg sys-libs/com_err
1/ paludis -u sys-libs/ss --permit-unsafe-uninstalls
2/ paludis -u sys-libs/com_err --permit-unsafe-uninstalls
3/ paludis -i sys-fs/e2fsprogs

- blockers removed - I've still not verifired that really nothing si broken but it looks good for now
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
I also have the nfs-utils package installed, and it's part of the blocking error as well. Is there something different I need to do because of that?

yes, read the rest of this thread, its already been dealt with :lol:

in your case its nfs-utils that is causing the blockers and not mit-krb5. nfs-utils also needs ss/com_err but now relies on e2fsprogs for this code lib.

Upgrade e2fsprogs as in my first post on this thread and ignore unmasking mit-krb5. Remember to emerge -f befure you unmerge anything otherwise you may not download things with wget.

HTH

Rich
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.scott wrote:
srunni wrote:
I also have the nfs-utils package installed, and it's part of the blocking error as well. Is there something different I need to do because of that?

yes, read the rest of this thread, its already been dealt with :lol:

in your case its nfs-utils that is causing the blockers and not mit-krb5. nfs-utils also needs ss/com_err but now relies on e2fsprogs for this code lib.

Upgrade e2fsprogs as in my first post on this thread and ignore unmasking mit-krb5. Remember to emerge -f befure you unmerge anything otherwise you may not download things with wget.

HTH

Rich
So if wget works for me after those commands, I'm OK? I don't want to reboot and have a kernel panic ;/

Edit: I was impatient and decided to reboot, and it worked fine. Now to do my laptop ;/

Edit: It worked fine too.

Last edited by srunni on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not an expert here and by the looks of it trying to resolve it may strand you with an unbootable system.

No suggested fixes worked here. I always had to revdep-rebuild to prevent me from breaking my system. Besides neither mit-krb5 nor nfs-utils are on my system. So another package might cause the blockers.

Is it safe to assume that buying myself some time and wait until the bug is being resolved while packages waiting to be updated keep piling up behind those blockers might be a good idea? :)

Code:
[ebuild     U ] sys-libs/timezone-data-2008g-r1 [2008e]
[ebuild     U ] app-arch/lzma-utils-4.32.7 [4.32.6]
[ebuild     U ] sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.6.27-r2 [2.6.26]
[ebuild     U ] dev-tex/cjk-latex-4.8.1 [4.7.0]
[ebuild     U ] dev-tex/feynmf-1.08-r3 [1.08-r2]
[ebuild     U ] www-client/opera-9.62 [9.61] LINGUAS="-et% -ta% -te%"
[ebuild     U ] dev-lang/nasm-2.04 [0.98.39-r3]
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/Compress-Raw-Bzip2-2.015  USE="-test"
[ebuild  N    ] perl-core/Package-Constants-0.01
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/libtheora-1.0_beta3-r1 [1.0_beta2-r1]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/faad2-2.6.1-r2  USE="-digitalradio% (-drm%)"
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/libmpeg3-1.7 [1.5.2-r3]
[ebuild  N    ] dev-perl/IO-Compress-Bzip2-2.015
[ebuild     U ] dev-perl/Archive-Tar-1.40 [1.38] USE="bzip2%*"
[ebuild   R   ] media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p27725-r1  USE="(-real*)"
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/flac-1.2.1-r3 [1.2.1-r2]
[ebuild     U ] gnome-base/libbonobo-2.24.0 [2.22.0]
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/findutils-4.4.0 [4.3.13]
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/imlib2-1.4.2 [1.4.1]
[ebuild     U ] dev-libs/libcdio-0.80 [0.78.2-r4] USE="cxx%*"
[ebuild     U ] sys-apps/gawk-3.1.6 [3.1.5-r5]
[ebuild  NS   ] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.6.27-r2  USE="-build -symlink"
[ebuild     U ] net-misc/openssh-5.1_p1-r1 [4.7_p1-r6]
[ebuild     U ] app-text/acroread-8.1.3 [8.1.2-r3]
[ebuild     U ] app-text/libspectre-0.2.1 [0.2.0]
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.15-r1  USE="(-real*)"
[ebuild     U ] media-video/transcode-1.0.7_rc1 [1.0.5-r3]
[ebuild   R   ] app-office/openoffice-3.0.0  USE="-binfilter%"
[ebuild     U ] sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41.2 [1.40.9]
[ebuild  N    ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2  USE="nls"
[blocks B     ] sys-libs/ss (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B     ] sys-libs/com_err (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B     ] <sys-fs/e2fsprogs-1.41 (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
[blocks B     ] sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs (is blocking sys-libs/ss-1.40.9, sys-libs/com_err-1.40.9)

I assume so.. better safe than sorry.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever package depends on ss/com_err will now be asking for e2fsprogs. From what I can tell ss/com_err is being merged into and replaced by e2fsprogs so more and more packages will ask for it. Try running this to see what packages depend on ss/com_err:

Code:
equery depends ss

Code:
equery depends com_err

(equery comes from the gentoolkit package)

I can only think of one reason why your system would become unbootable and that would be if you removed ss/com_err and rebooted before you emerged e2fsprogs! If you do that, you will most likely have a dead system.

It's really not that hard to fix this blocker :wink: just remember to "emerge -f" before you unmerge anything otherwise you'll have to figure out another way to get the downloade source tarballs into /usr/portage/distfiles

Once you've done the steps in my first post on this thread (ok, except the mit-krb5 stuff as you don't have that):

Code:
# emerge -f e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-libs
# emerge --unmerge ss com_err e2fsprogs
# emerge e2fsprogs

....it should then be safe to update world and then if you like.... reboot!

Rich.
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks richard.scott, I'll give it another try.
Are you suggesting that there will be no other way to deal with this block but to work around it like this and cross your fingers on reboot? :? :?
I apologize if this may sound a little rude. Is it "better safe tha sorry" or "no risk no fun"? 8O

EDIT:seems there were no other packages depending on ss or com_err - so far so good; the blocks have disappeared and I could reboot - I will as soon as necessary - it should be fine - this sure scared me quite a bit; thanks again :D

Last edited by EasterParade on Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 12 systems that I've upgraded with these 3 steps and they've all worked ok :-)

The only issue people seem to have is if they've unmerged things before downloading the installation tarballs (i.e. emerge -f e2fsprogs).
wget needs ssl which needs ss/com_err (or something like that) so when you remove ss/com_err it stops wget from working so you can't download e2fsprogs to fix your error.

For some reason people think that linux is like windows and try rebooting to fix things.....
If you reboot without either ss/com_err or e2fsprogs then it may not come backup! :roll:
EasterParade
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For some reason people think that linux is like windows and try rebooting to fix things.....
If you reboot without either ss/com_err or e2fsprogs then it may not come backup! :roll:

Far from it! Linux is my main system for a long time now. When I started off with it the most pleasing thing about it was that rebooting for whatever reason did not do any intransparent trick or was even necessary to make things work. As I said transparency is one thing that makes Linux so amazing. You don't need to cross your fingers after updating some driver because you just don't know what you did while updating. I'd prefer it would stay like that.
But to my sincerest distress ( honestly ) I'm not a programmer. I completely rely on the expertise of this forum and the wikis (?) and howtos. After reading and complying to them I understand what I`m doing. Again I'd prefer if it stayed like this.

Btw: I didn't do any reboot after my first two busted tries to fix it 'cause again I knew what I did and I knew what not to do in this case
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after I did the "emerge -C com_err", I then was not able to emerge e2fsprogs and move on. I noticed wget was failing because it could not find com_err. I looked at the file it wanted to download e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.tar.gz and I popped into firefox and manually downloaded the file from http://gentoo.osuosl.org/distfiles/e2fstprogs-libs-1.41.tar.gz into /usr/portage/distfiles. Then I could re-emerge e2fsprogs, now I can update my system.

During the emerge of the e2fsprogs-libs package I saw com_err scroll by. It looks like it was moved into this package.

im already past this, but I would say if I had to do it again, I would do something like this first.

emerge -f e2fsprogs-libs
emerge -C com_err
emerge e2fsprogs-libs
Always thirsting.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

njcwotx wrote:
During the emerge of the e2fsprogs-libs package I saw com_err scroll by. It looks like it was moved into this package.

Hmmm interesting...... e2fsprogs-libs has never been in my list of blockers and I've had no need to emerge it to fix these blockers.

Was it listed as a blocker on your system.... I'm just curious as to how/why you emerged it?
minor_prophets
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had those blockers on my amd64 system before I ~amd64 keyworded e2fsprogs-libs. I also had <=....mit-krb5...r2

After emerging e2fsprogs, it installed fine but pulled in com_err and ss. I then keyworded in =app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.6.3-r4 and removed the <=app-crypt/mit-krb5-1.6.3-r2.
Emerge -C com_err ss e2fsprogs.
Emerge -v mit-krb5 and thought my problems were solved. It looked as if e2fsprogs and e2fsprogs-libs were installedalongside mit-krb5. Good, I thought.
Revdep-rebuild will rebuild anything broken? Nah, but maybe point the right way. For me it was a couple programs dynamically linking against libext2fs.so.2. Testdisk and photorec. The package was testdisk(testdisk and photorec) that failed.
Well, I noticed I still had problems. I looked to see what emerge -tav testdisk would show.
Dreaded blockers. Wanted to install B ss and B com_err again with mention to both programs blocking e2fsprogs-libs. I removed e2fsprogs-libs from package.keywords and removed e2fsprogs-libs, then emerged e2fsprogs,
Code:
emerge -C e2fsprogs-libs
emerge -tav e2fsprogs
. Then,
Code:
emerge -tav testdisk
I now have
Code:
[I] sys-fs/e2fsprogs
     Available versions:  1.40.4 1.40.6 1.40.8 1.40.9 ~1.40.10 ~1.40.11 ~1.41.0 ~1.41.1 {elibc_FreeBSD nls static}
     Installed versions:  1.40.9(09:48:01 PM 11/08/2008)(nls -elibc_FreeBSD -static)
* sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs
     Available versions:  ~1.41.0 ~1.41.1 {nls}
     Installed versions:  1.40.9(09:48:01 PM 11/08/2008)(nls -elibc_FreeBSD -static   
 [I] sys-libs/com_err
     Available versions:  1.40.4 1.40.6 1.40.8 1.40.9 ~1.40.10 ~1.40.11 {nls}
     Installed versions:  1.40.9(09:46:07 PM 11/08/2008)(nls)
[I] sys-libs/ss
     Available versions:  1.40.4 1.40.6 1.40.8 1.40.9 ~1.40.10 ~1.40.11 {nls}
     Installed versions:  1.40.9(09:47:01 PM 11/08/2008)(nls)
[I] app-crypt/mit-krb5
     Available versions:  1.5.3-r1 1.6.3 1.6.3-r1 ~1.6.3-r2 ~1.6.3-r3 (~)1.6.3-r4 {doc ipv6 krb4 tcl}
     Installed versions:  1.6.3-r4(09:33:57 PM 11/08/2008)(-doc -krb4)
[I] app-admin/testdisk
     Available versions:  (~)6.5 (~)6.8-r1 (~)6.9 (~)6.10 {jpeg ntfs reiserfs static}
     Installed versions:  6.10(09:53:41 PM 11/08/2008)(jpeg ntfs reiserfs -static)

I'd be happy if this helps anybody.
njcwotx
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, e2fsprogs was one of my blockers, but the actual package that had it was e2fsprogs-libs. That is the package that was causing the upset for me.

I am seeing more of this kind of thing, where one package blocks another because a library got merged into it. Think I have seen that 3 times lately. one was mktemp got put into some other package, the e2fsprogs-libs thing and one other that had the same thing. I guess I am going to have to start paying more attention to the files that each package has from now on when I see a blocker.
Always thirsting.
tobim
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem, but I did, so just wanted to post this.

When following the steps at the beginning of this tread, the final emerge e2fsprogs would fail.

To solve this, I re-emerged e2fsprogs-libs, and then it worked.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tobim wrote:
Doesn't seem like anyone else has had this problem, but I did, so just wanted to post this.

When following the steps at the beginning of this tread, the final emerge e2fsprogs would fail.

To solve this, I re-emerged e2fsprogs-libs, and then it worked.

Thanks, I'll edit the original post to include the re-emerging of "e2fsprogs-libs" too! :D
Jim6
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that I'd mention that on my initial attempt at this (I'm on machine #3 now) I unmerged ss and com_err before trying anything else. To my horror, wget wasn't able to fetch anything any more! Fortunately, I was able to get the packages from another source, everythings working now.

It might be nice to add an "emerge -uDavF system" (or even just a "emerge -uDavF e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-libs ss com_err" line) to the guide in case people hit the same problem.
depontius
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my server, I have it "emerge --sync" in cron.daily, so it puts its load on the Gentoo servers in the middle of the night, at least the US middle of the night. In the same script, I "emerge -fuDN world" so that it also fetches the source during off-hours. As a side-effect, it granted me some forgiveness from this problem.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depontius wrote:
On my server, I have it "emerge --sync" in cron.daily, so it puts its load on the Gentoo servers in the middle of the night, at least the US middle of the night. In the same script, I "emerge -fuDN world" so that it also fetches the source during off-hours. As a side-effect, it granted me some forgiveness from this problem.

Neat idea. I too do a --sync in the middle of the night but I don't normally download the files.
I think I'll update my servers with that little perl of wisdom 8)
dtlgc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hardened Gentoo system with blocked programs
The following worked perfect on my system...
Quote:

# emerge -f e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-libs
# emerge --unmerge ss com_err e2fsprogs
# emerge e2fsprogs e2fsprogs-libs

thanks,
drkstorm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have e2fsprogs downloaded and placed in the distfile folder when i try to emege e2fsprogs, its fails:

Code:

livecd / # emerge e2fsprogs
Calculating dependencies... done!
>>> Verifying ebuild Manifests...

>>> Emerging (1 of 2) sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2 to /
 * e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2.tar.gz RMD160 SHA1 SHA256 size ;-) ...                                                                       [ ok ]
 * checking ebuild checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                  [ ok ]
 * checking auxfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                 [ ok ]
 * checking miscfile checksums ;-) ...                                                                                                [ ok ]
 * checking e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2.tar.gz ;-) ...                                                                                      [ ok ]
mv: error while loading shared libraries: libcom_err.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 * ERROR: sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2 failed.
 * Call stack:
 *               ebuild.sh, line 1641:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *      preprocess_ebuild_env || \
 *              die "error processing environment"
 *  The die message:
 *   error processing environment
 * If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.
 * A complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2/temp/environment'.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drkstorm wrote:
i have e2fsprogs downloaded and placed in the distfile folder when i try to emege e2fsprogs, its fails:

Did you also unmerge e2fsprogs-libs before this happened?
drkstorm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

yes i did, as well as com_err... i cant get anything to emerge now, everything fails with the above error, this is in a chrooted livecd environment
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drkstorm wrote:
Quote:

yes i did, as well as com_err... i cant get anything to emerge now, everything fails with the above error, this is in a chrooted livecd environment

ah I thought so. removing e2fsprogs-libs is what caused this. I did that once.... I didn't find a way to resolve it and had to re-install :oops:

you may be able to create a package on a different system using the quickpkg command.
This will create files and symlinks in /usr/portage/packages that you'll need to copy to the same place in your chrooted environment
then doing an emerge -K e2fsprogs-libs should (fingers crossed) install from package.

or you could try extracting the tarball as follows

Code:
tar -xjvpf e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2.tbz2 -C /

You'd then need to re-emerge the real packages too.

Rich
drkstorm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i dont have another gentoo box handy so i tried the binary approach, for whatever reason emerge -K and emerge --usepkg seem to ignore all attempts to use the binary file i put in the /usr/portage/packages dir, not sure why... i tried to just extract it and im guessing its not compatible with my kernel, i get the following:

Code:
error while loading shared libraries: /lib/libcom_err.so.2: ELF file data encoding not little-endian

i think im screwed here, i have to say that ive been using gentoo since 2000 and this latest mess has me considering leaving the camp :-(
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the setup of your machine.... can you send me this output:

Code:
# cat /etc/make.conf| grep "^C"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=c3-2 -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
CXXFLAGS="$CFLAGS"

It won't be the same as this example output but I can then see if I have a machine like it?

Perhaps I can send you the package and you could try that?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: