Wireless config during installation [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Wireless config during installation [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a network using wireless and i am trying to install gentoo on a server.
Using net-setup I choose wireless and then I setup to enter the key using ASCII for a WEP-128bit. It tells me the key should have 13 digits but in reality my key has 26 digits. How's this possible?
Anyway, I try my 26 digit key, says to check ifconfig and the wireless is not setup, even though it shows up a non-sense IP Address for the interface.Trying manually with:
iwconfig eth1 essid <name>
iwconfig eth1 key s:<26digits>
dhcpcd eth1

also doesn't work.

Any tips?

Last edited by pmatos on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless config during installation Reply with quote

pmatos wrote:
Hi all,

Using net-setup I choose wireless and then I setup to enter the key using ASCII for a WEP-128bit. It tells me the key should have 13 digits but in reality my key has 26 digits. How's this possible?
Anyway, I try my 26 digit key, says to check ifconfig and the wireless is not setup, even though it shows up a non-sense IP Address for the interface.Trying manually with:
dhcpcd eth1

also doesn't work.

Any tips?

Your 26 digit key is in Hexadecimal format, try

iwconfig eth1 key <26digits>

without s:

(at least in /etc/conf.d/net, specifying key withoiut s: is what you do for hex keys, not sure about command line)
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless config during installation Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
pmatos wrote:
Hi all,

dhcpcd eth1

also doesn't work.

Any tips?

Your 26 digit key is in Hexadecimal format, try

iwconfig eth1 key <26digits>

without s:

(at least in /etc/conf.d/net, specifying key withoiut s: is what you do for hex keys, not sure about command line)

You're definitely right. It's hex. still, for some reason it's not getting a dhcp. mac address filter is working ok, so i cannot see the problem. i have several other gentoo boxes connecting to the same network so I will check what's up!
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, getting correct association (especially if there are other networks around), authentication and then ip address
can be flaky on the first try before everything is set up. Try do it step by step

1) load module (actually check that your device created is eth1 and not wlan0)
2) iwlist scan (to see what is around)
3) iwconfig essid name (see it recognized)
4) iwconfig key ...... (see you get association - access point MAC address appears in iwconfig output)
5) run dhcpcd by hand on eth1 (wlan0)

The trickiest is 4) since it is difficult to see why association fails if it does.
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
Well, getting correct association (especially if there are other networks around), authentication and then ip address
can be flaky on the first try before everything is set up. Try do it step by step

4) iwconfig key ...... (see you get association - access point MAC address appears in iwconfig output)

The trickiest is 4) since it is difficult to see why association fails if it does.

Well, my interface doesn't support scanning, still, I retried all the steps I have done before and now it works. I don't think I have done anything different... wierd, except for the fact that I set the key in the interface before setting the essid. Maybe that was it. It was trying to do the association without a key configured in! :)
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmatos wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

Well, my interface doesn't support scanning

You know, I would not be so certain :) Mine (iwl4965) was telling me that for a while, and then suddenly started to scan just all right
(seems frequent reloading of this dirver can get the card into confused if not hanged mode, perhaps firmware related issue.
Once I hanged the card so hard, that even reboot did not help, including booting into Windows, where it did not work either.
The only thing which helped - very cold reboot, with the battery taken off the laptop :) )

try iwlist scan after you have associated.

What is your chip ?
pmatos
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmpogo wrote:
pmatos wrote:
dmpogo wrote:

Well, my interface doesn't support scanning

You know, I would not be so certain :) Mine (iwl4965) was telling me that for a while, and then suddenly started to scan just all right
(seems frequent reloading of this dirver can get the card into confused if not hanged mode, perhaps firmware related issue.
Once I hanged the card so hard, that even reboot did not help, including booting into Windows, where it did not work either.
The only thing which helped - very cold reboot, with the battery taken off the laptop :) )

try iwlist scan after you have associated.

What is your chip ?

It's just a USB pen from Zyxel, driver zd12*.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: