Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Netiquette
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
klieber
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 17 Apr 2002
Posts: 3657
Location: San Francisco, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

abzs2k wrote:
Infact, I would like the mods opinion on it

We avoid censorship wherever possible. While it is certainly true that some people will be offended by pornographic links posted in OTW, I think it's equally true that as many or more people would be offended if we forbid them.

I do think the polite thing to do is to post a note along with the link warning people that it may contain objectionable content. Hopefully, people will do so in the future.

--kurt
_________________
The problem with political jokes is that they get elected
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
piffle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Jun 2004
Posts: 98

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do think the polite thing to do is to post a note along with the link warning people that it may contain objectionable content

Yes, here-here! That kids will be able to find such content much more quickly and efficiently when it is clearly and prominently labeled. After all, think of the children!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superchicken
n00b
n00b


Joined: 18 Jun 2004
Posts: 40
Location: Pavia, Italy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Yes, here-here! That kids will be able to find such content much more quickly and efficiently when it is clearly and prominently labeled. After all, think of the children!


If they want to find some porn on the net the Gentoo Forums aren't the most obviuos choice. If they want it they'll find it anyway. Try to teach them, and don't worry. They are children, not stoopids!*





*clever un-rudeness, very Bear-like :wink:
_________________
Superchicken

High level n00b! ^^
Adopt an unanswered post! (I need it! ^__-)
Do NOT use emerge -U!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g4c9z
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this thread is too old for anyone to read this or what, but one thing I consider bad Netiquette is when people use acronyms for common sayings like "AAMOF" for "As a matter of fact" or "IMHO" for "In my humble opinion", etc. You don't talk this way in real life so I don't see why the Internet should be any different. I know it's done all the time but that doesn't make it good. The few seconds it takes for the writer to write out the whole phrase greatly outweighs the long while beginning users have to spend trying to figure out what was said.

In fact, more generally, it's best if writers of posts don't assume things about what people know. General knowledge, e.g. most of the stuff in the Gentoo handbook and basic knowledge of computers is OK, but assumptions about knowledge of specific facts should be avoided, in my opinion. This is difficult for people who have used Linux for years, but they should do their best to remember what it's like to know very little about it. Even a link to a web page containing an explanation of something is much better than not explaining it.

As far as spelling mistakes (which was discussed earlier in this thread), how about if there was a spell checker built into the Gentoo forums that automatically popped up (if and only if there are spelling mistakes) when you click "Submit"? The dictionary could have extra Linux and Gentoo specific words in it too, such as "portage". Better still would be a grammer checker too, although I don't know of any for Linux - I've only ever seen the one in Microsoft Word.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16115
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g4c9z wrote:
I consider bad Netiquette is when people use acronyms for common sayings like "AAMOF" for "As a matter of fact" or "IMHO" for "In my humble opinion", etc. You don't talk this way in real life so
People may not talk that way, but it is common to use acronyms in almost any work setting.

BTW, OK is an abbreviation for okay. ;)

EDIT: Sorry for the BTW, its habit. :D
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pilla
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 07 Aug 2002
Posts: 7214
Location: Pelotas, BR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
g4c9z wrote:
I consider bad Netiquette is when people use acronyms for common sayings like "AAMOF" for "As a matter of fact" or "IMHO" for "In my humble opinion", etc. You don't talk this way in real life so
People may not talk that way, but it is common to use acronyms in almost any work setting.

BTW, OK is an abbreviation for okay. ;)

EDIT: Sorry for the BTW, its habit. :D


IMO, pjp is right. And we are not integrating a speller into phpBB as it is not easy to upgrade it when a new phpBB version comes off.
_________________
"I'm just very selective about the reality I choose to accept." -- Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
g4c9z
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 03 Jun 2004
Posts: 178

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
People may not talk that way, but it is common to use acronyms in almost any work setting.


In a work setting, you know who you're talking to so you know they'll understand you. On a forum, you never know who may be reading and want to know what you're saying, so it's better to talk in a general way.

Quote:
And we are not integrating a speller into phpBB as it is not easy to upgrade it when a new phpBB version comes off.


I wonder how the people at http://www.linuxquestions.org/ deal with it? They have a spell checker.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16115
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g4c9z wrote:
On a forum, you never know who may be reading and want to know what you're saying, so it's better to talk in a general way.
Or consider it an opportunity to learn about other people/cultures/subcultures.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pilla
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 07 Aug 2002
Posts: 7214
Location: Pelotas, BR

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g4c9z wrote:
Quote:
People may not talk that way, but it is common to use acronyms in almost any work setting.


In a work setting, you know who you're talking to so you know they'll understand you. On a forum, you never know who may be reading and want to know what you're saying, so it's better to talk in a general way.


Some acronyms are quite well-known and can be used without problems.

g4c9z wrote:


I wonder how the people at http://www.linuxquestions.org/ deal with it? They have a spell checker.


Easy, they use another forums software (vBulletin).
_________________
"I'm just very selective about the reality I choose to accept." -- Calvin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
papal_authority
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 31 Mar 2004
Posts: 1823
Location: Canada

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g4c9z wrote:
I consider bad Netiquette is when people use acronyms for common sayings like "AAMOF" for "As a matter of fact" or "IMHO" for "In my humble opinion", etc. You don't talk this way in real life so I don't see why the Internet should be any different.

Well for starters typing and talking are very different. Acronyms do save time, that's why they exist. Language continually evolves, including the Internet sub-culture.

g4c9z wrote:
it's best if writers of posts don't assume things about what people know. General knowledge, e.g. most of the stuff in the Gentoo handbook and basic knowledge of computers is OK

Oh and it's not "e.g" it's exempli gratia :roll:
_________________
The free market gave me gonorrhea.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bague
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 09 Feb 2004
Posts: 292

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

papal_authority wrote:

g4c9z wrote:
it's best if writers of posts don't assume things about what people know. General knowledge, e.g. most of the stuff in the Gentoo handbook and basic knowledge of computers is OK

Oh and it's not "e.g" it's exempli gratia :roll:


Haha, owned.

IMHO the occaisional acronym isn't bad, as long as it isn't every other word. And hell, where would office space be without acronyms?

"....Yeah.... we're gonna need those TPS reports ASAP."

As long as the post isn't

"LOL OMG DAT IMHO IZ GHEY"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tomk
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 23 Sep 2003
Posts: 7219
Location: Sat in front of my computer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get stuck trying to figure out what an acronym stands for try using the program wtf.
_________________
Search | Read | Answer | Report | Strip
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kallamej
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 27 Jun 2003
Posts: 4836
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pilla wrote:
g4c9z wrote:


I wonder how the people at http://www.linuxquestions.org/ deal with it? They have a spell checker.


Easy, they use another forums software (vBulletin).

And they don't have the language complexity that we have.
_________________
Please read our FAQ Forum, it answers many of your questions.
irc: #gentoo-forums on irc.freenode.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pjp
Administrator
Administrator


Joined: 16 Apr 2002
Posts: 16115
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split off the conversation about not enough censorship going on here.
_________________
lolgov. 'cause where we're going, you don't have civil liberties.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum