Using UNCONFIRMED in Bugzilla more?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
node_one
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Using UNCONFIRMED in Bugzilla more? Reply with quote

I was just thinking about this as I was posting in Portage & Programming. Sometimes I, and others, post there when we are unsure if something is a bug and should go in Bugzilla. What about instead of posting in the forum, we (devs and users) make better use of the UNCONFIRMED state in Bugzilla? That way the information is already in Bugzilla and it does not have to be re-posted if something turns out to be a real bug. This may encourage more people to look at Bugzilla and participate in fixing bugs.

I looked, and the default New bug page does not allow you to set the Status of a bug. Whether that can/should be changed, I believe, is a somewhat separate issue.

Current UNCONFIRMED Bugs

What does everyone think about this?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's a great idea, although it might be nice if trainee bug-wranglers could mark a bug unconfirmed, and any user could vote for it. That way a search for unconfirmed bugs with votes would enable the same people to mark it confirmed, assuming it's valid.
node_one
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not think UNCONFIRMED bugs have to be voted on. As long as one or more people comment that they are experiencing the same issue and/or they CC to the bug, the bug can be moved to NEW or ASSIGNED.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

node_one wrote:
I do not think UNCONFIRMED bugs have to be voted on. As long as one or more people comment that they are experiencing the same issue and/or they CC to the bug, the bug can be moved to NEW or ASSIGNED.

Nothing has to be voted on in any way; voting is hardly used at all in Gentoo bugzilla, though it is in more cooperative projects. I'm just suggesting it's a good way to pre-filter automatically; cc's would do too. Both imply a bit more than a 'me-too' comment, which isn't bad in itself ofc. Just saying those with votes and cc's would rank higher (cc highest would be better, you're right) followed by those with comments from other parties.

After all, if you knew your vote was going to mean the bug got picked up quicker you'd do it right? But you'd expect to have to justify that vote, whereas a me-too comment could be made in error, etc. It's not important what the heuristics are so long as there are some that make sense, which users can influence and bug-wranglers can filter (for devs to ignore <jk>;)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: