Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.scott wrote:
Talking of helping out.... I'm currently reading through the Gentoo Developer Handbook to see if/where I can sign up and help :-)
Either or both of https://bugs.gentoo.org/ and http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/sunrise/, the former typically needs to be filled out repeatedly while the latter is more of a long form exam.
uzz75
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so, when the new stage will be available for download ?
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uzz75 wrote:
And so, when the new stage will be available for download ?

You can download a Funtoo Stage tarball here:
http://www.funtoo.org/linux/

They are re-compiled weekly by Daniel Robbins!
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants a script to create your own latest tarballs see this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5288585.html

Maybe this'll help speed up the release of the next CD as from what I can see the tools are already in place to automatically build them :wink:

Rich
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not "creating" the tarballs that takes time, it's testing them for stability. Also, because of the way Gentoo works, you don't really need tarballs that often. About once every 6 months to a year is about right to reduce the number of upgrading issues users have to deal with, in my opinion.

There's also the ever present man power issue that everyone complains about, but no one volunteers actually do some work and help fix.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:
It's not "creating" the tarballs that takes time, it's testing them for stability. Also, because of the way Gentoo works, you don't really need tarballs that often. About once every 6 months to a year is about right to reduce the number of upgrading issues users have to deal with, in my opinion.

There's also the ever present man power issue that everyone complains about, but no one volunteers actually do some work and help fix.

as long as Gentoo's release policy isn't just "every 6months no sooner!". Take the expat "issue". It would have been fantastic if a new tarball was rolled to work around that. instead a tarball existed with that dormant "fun upgrade" residing within it so if someone just blindly followed the install guide they would run into the issue
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJB wrote:

See, that's were I don't understand where the delays are and what exactly is tested to make sure a tarball is stable!

The tarballs are created from packages marked as stable in the tree of portage so if the end resulting tarball should automatically be stable. If its not, then we need to look at packages in the tree and not the tarball creation process.

Come to think of it, I've had less issues with installing a new system from my own update tarballs than with the 2008.0 tarball.
One major advantage is it only takes an hour now to install a new server.... there's no need to update the outdated tarball anymore!

And best of all, it run's via Cron and has never had an issue compiling ever!
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget we have quite a few arches on which we need working stage3 tarballs. And then there are the install and live CDs, which also need to work on a wide range of hardware.
richard.scott
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
Don't forget we have quite a few arches on which we need working stage3 tarballs. And then there are the install and live CDs, which also need to work on a wide range of hardware.

I understand that there are lots of hardware specs to take into account but from what I can see we aren't supporting any _new_ hardware platforms.

And I also can't see anything different between the next release and the 2008.0 release. And if we really are going back to basics it should contain less!

Perhaps someone can tell me what the hold up is?

Are we not using the existing tools we already have to create the ISO's?

I've noticed that Catalyst is being updated. Perhaps someone could give us some hints as to what the new features are so critical if this is the cause for the holdup?

Please understand that I'm just trying to figure out what's going on as nothing has been announced since September!

Rich.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard.scott wrote:
I understand that there are lots of hardware specs to take into account but from what I can see we aren't supporting any _new_ hardware platforms.

The main problem is that the minimal CD and the LiveCD need to have a recent kernel just to be able to boot on almost everything.

For my concern, I don't even use the Gentoo minimal CD, because I use SystemRescueCD since 2007.

So, this problem can be solve very quickly.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:

For my concern, I don't even use the Gentoo minimal CD, because I use SystemRescueCD since 2007.

I wish sysresc were the official live disk, as it is simply a Gentoo system, and has done very well out of being based on Gentoo, as well as providing the tools people really need. (Or sysresc plus whatever essentials Gentoo wanted to throw in.)
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fact, maybe Gentoo should produce the Stages and Snapshots and leave the rest to SystemRescueCD for the media CD.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
In fact, maybe Gentoo should produce the Stages and Snapshots and leave the rest to SystemRescueCD for the media CD.
++

I like this idea very much. Focus on doing what is necessary, and leave the rest to others. Stop wasting time creating a live CD when people can just use other distros.
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:

Possibly. I'd like to know what the holdup is. Is Release Engineering that short on manpower? If they are, what do they need to move forward?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the lost of the former leader Chris is a big part of the problem.

I think that he was the man for many years regarding the release of the Gentoo version, I mean the profile and all the stuff.
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
I think that the lost of the former leader Chris is a big part of the problem.

I think that he was the man for many years regarding the release of the Gentoo version, I mean the profile and all the stuff.

I see. :(

To get more-current install media at $WORK - yes, I use Gentoo at work - and to avoid having massive emerge --update --deep world on every system I configure -- and partially out of curiosity, I've taken to learning Catalyst. (yes, I know how to build a build host and use binary packages, too.)

I would LOVE to help releng (not having a recent release based on a recent snapshot is BAD, in my opinion, which is why I roll my own at $WORK) but I'm not sure if I have sufficient Portage experience.

Last edited by Captain Newbie on Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Newbie wrote:
I would LOVE to help releng (not having a recent release based on a recent snapshot is BAD, in my opinion, which is why I roll my own at $WORK) but I'm not sure if I have sufficient Portage experience.
As would many, but there has traditionally been a months-long process of brown-nosing and paper-pushing. Perhaps that will change now that they are so desperate for developers?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I testing Metro from funtoo.org

I build actually a Stage 1,2,3 or every archs automagically if you tweak it correctly.
Captain Newbie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
Captain Newbie wrote:
As would many, but there has traditionally been a months-long process of brown-nosing and paper-pushing. Perhaps that will change now that they are so desperate for developers?

/shrug

I've no idea where to begin, and releng doesn't seem to be recruiting (at least, not here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-needs/) That said, I really want to do something. Since they aren't recruiting, it doesn't sound very desperate to me.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Newbie wrote:
srunni wrote:
Captain Newbie wrote:

/shrug

I've no idea where to begin, and releng doesn't seem to be recruiting (at least, not here: http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/staffing-needs/) That said, I really want to do something. Since they aren't recruiting, it doesn't sound very desperate to me.
Well, they need more developers---that's for sure, but I guess they are too proud to ease up on the developer application process and stop turning away potential developers.
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:
Captain Newbie wrote:

That is just not true. When I became a developer oh, say 6 months ago, I was surprised at how easy it was to become one.

Quote:

Well, they need more developers---that's for sure, but I guess they are too proud to ease up on the developer application process and stop turning away potential developers.

Where are you seeing devs turned away? The only reason people would ever get turned away is if they don't have the technical knowledge(at which point they can go back, learn, and come back(see jmbsvicetto)) or they don't have the social skills(you can prove that you've changed here too).

--The Prisoner
mw007
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've never written an ebuild or made an install cd, but would be interested in learning how and helping out. I've been a professional web and systems developer for over 6 years and have 8+ years experience with linux, 5 of those years I've been with gentoo.

Let me know if there's anything I can help with

:D
ebuc99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was trying to install gentoo via install-x86-minimal-20081128.iso on my good old hp nx6125, but there were two big problems:
1. i got no connection to the internet via dhcp. The tg3 module for the lan chip was loaded, but no eth0 came up after boot, so i was trying to do it manually with ifconfig eth0 up. But i got no connection to the internet
2. i set up "fan always on when running on ac" in the bios, to prevent the laptop for overheating while installing gentoo (the fan control via linux kernel on this laptop is known as very buggy, so i do that), but after loading "ACPI power management functions enabled ..." on boot procedure, the fan switched off and still off even when the temperature of the cpu was rising over the threshold of 60 °C.
With the gentoo 2007 minimal install cd i have not this problems.
zyko
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i got no connection to the internet via dhcp.

Try "net-setup eth0". This should leave you with a working internet connection.
Or else, if your eth0 is up, you still need to start dhcpcd ("dhcpcd eth0"),

Quote:
but after loading "ACPI power management functions enabled ..." on boot procedure, the fan switched off

When the CD confronts you with the boot promot, enter "acpi=off" (or hit F2 for a helpful msg). This should prevent Gentoo from messing with the fan.
ebuc99
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi zyko,

thanks for your help.
Now i have a running fan and a working connection.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: