Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
emerge world --pretend (Should it not show everything ?)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SmegTheLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: emerge world --pretend (Should it not show everything ?) Reply with quote

After running Gentoo for awhile now, and upgrading many packages, I would like to do a --clean world. The problem is, I am not sure exactly which dependancies I might be buggering up.

I figured a 'emerge world' would be nice - just have it rebuild everything, like the man pages said. The problem is, I would like to know just what I am getting into before I do it, so I did a --pretend.. It doesn't show any packages..

I then figured I would just bite the bullet, and did the emerge world - it did nothing. It just did the 'Calc world dep... done' , and that was it ! ?

How does one go about doing an emerge world - is there some "don't shot yourself in the foot" setting I have to turn off ?

ps. I did a search on emerge world on the forums first and since the words "emerge" and "world" are very common, it was a futile search :)
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, exactly, are you attempting to do? I think you have your Portage commands confused.

Try running "emerge --help | less -R" and double-check what you're trying to say.
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using the --update flag? I don't know if the emerge man page is wrong, behaviour has changed since the man page was written, portage is broken, or my systems are poorly configured (maybe more than one of the above), but I notice the same thing.

Let's say I have a host with one package with one package slightly out of date:

Code:
# qpkg -v -I apache
net-www/apache-1.3.26-r2 *

And I invoke:

Code:
# emerge -p world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating world dependencies  ...done!

But, if I instead try:

Code:
# emerge -pu world

These are the packages that I would merge, in order.

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild    U ] net-www/apache-1.3.26-r3 to /

Although this confused me at first, I chalked it up to pilot error and trained myself always to feed emerge the '-u' flag, assuming that was the way it was supposed to be.

As I read the emerge man page though, it seems to imply that '-u' narrows the range of packages to be remerged. It definitely doesn't behave that way on any Gentoo system at my disposal.
Could this be related to what is confusing the original poster?
MoonWalker
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly how my absolute fresh install of Gento 1.2 behave:

#emerge -p world // shows notting to get

#emerge -pu world //shows 2 ebuilds with U flag to get

I guess the distro was updated but team been too busy remember to update the docs in detail. I have no experience of earlier versions as this is my first day in freedom :D

Living on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun
every year.
SmegTheLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I want to do is :
Quote:

I figured a 'emerge world' would be nice - just have it rebuild everything, like the man pages said

In other words - Rebuild every single package on the system.

Why ?

Because I have been doing -u for some time, and some libraries have been upgraded. When they were upgraded, I had to leave the old ones in place for fear that they were used by some other package that had been linked against them. I don't want to leave these old ones around, and would just like to rebuild everything so I can do a clean

Now, the man page (which seems outdated from the --help) states that
Quote:

World
"emerge world" updates all user emerge'd packages and dependancies (those listed in /var/cache/edb/world) to their current versions. Running "emerge world" without specifing "--update" will cause a complete rebuild of all packages, not only the ones that have new versions. It is always a good idea to perform an "emerge --pretend --update world" first just so that you know what emerge will be doing.

So, emerge world is EXACTLY what I want to do, but it doesn't work as stated.

If someone knows of a way that I can see what dependancies I will be breaking if I do a clean, that would be a handy thing too :)

ie - If I upgrade OpenSSL, how can I find out which programs are linked against the old libraries, so I can re-merge those.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you wanted to do that, you could use emerge --emptytree world to recompile everything, and then run an emerge clean to nuke all the old packages.

But, note that some programs still need an older version of libraries (like Audacity, an ebuild I maintain; it needs wxGTK-2.2.9 because 2.3.2 is still a beta) and running "emerge clean" may destroy these programs.
SmegTheLight
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Thanks !

I figure after being able to shoot myself in the foot with emerge clean, the emerge --emptytree world will be a wild ride :)

/em straps on the seatbelt.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: