View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compiling a new kernel is like a fine art. took me like 15 tries to build my first kernel. you need to go through every single menu and select everything that applies to your system, and deselect anything that doesnt. the defaults almost definitely won't work, theres probably a good howto or something out there somewhere. first things first. Know the exact model of everything in your system, sound card, video card, chipset, CPU, NIC, modem etc. the menuconfig program has a fairly good help systerm built in i think you just press '?' on an option and it will give you info about it, and will usually give you a recommendation as to whether or not you should put it in your kernel :)

Good luck
novice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this the step in the process that most likely fails?

i got a fairy good hardware info on the my Compaq Armada 1750 laptop:

- PII 400
- 128 MB RAM
- 4mb ATI Video Card (I believe it a ATI MACH64)
- USB
- 1 parallel port
- 1 serial port
- 1 PS/2 mouse port
- 3COM 3C574 NIC
- ESS Maestro Sound Card (I have problem with this sound card being detect by distro like Red hat, Mandrake, Slackware)

i have success install Red Hat, Mandrake, Slackware on this laptop, but i want to try Gentoo since it provides some hands-on experience.

i will try to give the menuconfig a thorough look and deselect things that i don't need at the moment and re-compile it again. i want to enable usb (for wireless) and firewire support ( for external backup)

btw, if there are more error message than the screen can show, is there a log for me to look at?
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to see more errors you can press shift+pageup or shift+pagedn to scroll through the terminal's buffer.
I'm not sure if there is an error log though...

from what i've heard compaq laptops tend to be pretty easy to get going. never tried one though.

you didn't list any info as the the chipset on the motherboard. its pretty important that you find out, theres a fairly extensive selection of them in the menuconfig. its necessary for getting your IDE Drives working. you can probably find out that info just by googling for it. if that fails, check compaq's site or your user manual.
aardvark
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your kernel does not compile you may try typing

"make mrproper"

in the /usr/src/linux dir before "make menuconfig".
It will clean everything up and you will have to configure again with "make menuconfig".
This normally works for me when a kernel wont compile.

->so, before "make menuconfig" as in the guide, type "make mrproper" and then proceed as written. Beware that you need the "extra/experimental" features in de kernel configuration. Gentoo relies on some of the options such as "dev filesystem" in the "file systems" menu-entry that you have to enable as well. (It is all in the guide in the yellow bit).

Good luck!

(Aaah sorry, I didn't see that you succeeded already.)

About the config files in /etc: Config files are protected against overwriting by the portage/emerge system. Apparently a package has been updated during your system emerge and a new config file has been created for that package, but the existing one was not overwritten. Often this is harmless, as default config files suplied by packages are mostly the same on newer versions. You can check the /etc (and sub-) dir(s) for strange names starting with ._cfg the rest of the name explains what that config file is for :)

typing "emerge config --help" will give you more info on that.
if the info flies by too fast the type " emerge config --help | more "

goodluck
taskara
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes you get error 2 and the like because you've compiled something into your kernel that does not exist in your pc/mainboard.

For example I have had the problem b4 by compiling Texas instrument firewire support directly into my kernel (cause my firewire card is indeed a texas instrument card) however when it came time to compile support for it it said it did not exist and spat out the error (but general support worked).

Same thing for DRM for sis video chipset, and a few others...

Double check your kernel config and if there's something you want that isnt' there yet, but maybe later, either make it a module, or re-compile your kernel when you get the hardware..

And do them all seperately so that you can see them all working b4 you move on to the next. And log any errors, and post them here :)

goodluck!
novice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am in the process of running make bzImage.

in the mean time, what are general rules for compiling the kernel? when should one compile certain options as modules instead of built-in?

i hope i pose the question right.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

novice wrote:
in the mean time, what are general rules for compiling the kernel? when should one compile certain options as modules instead of built-in?

It's kinda personal preference. Some people compile infrequently used things as modules so their kernel is smaller and leaner. I, on the other hand, don't really care for modules so I compile everything I need in. Someone said (sorry that I don't remember who and can't find the post) that kernel config is an art. In such, each artist has his or her own style. As you become more experienced you will develop your own preferences.
novice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finally completed the installation and rebooted.
will play with it some more tomorrow.
i need a break to clear my head.

(':D') Very Happy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: