Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[gkrellm] monitoring remote disks (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: [gkrellm] monitoring remote disks (solved) Reply with quote

Hi.

I am trying to monitor a remote box using gkrellm. I am very concerned about hd tempeartures, and if gkrellm can't do this then I will be willing to hear about alternatives.

Gkrellm is mostly working. I can connect to the remote daemon without much problem, and I can see the statistics of my server for all the builtin meters. All works fine. The problem comes when I try to use an external plugin. The one I am really interested in is gkrellm-hddtemp. Hddtemp is running on the server, and it works beautifully, but since it runs locally, my hddtemp krellms show my local disk, and not the remote ones.

I am almost sure that's impossible without hacking into gkrellm, but anyway I will ask since it's for free: is there a chance that I can monitor my remote disks using this plugin? As said, hddtemp is running on the remote machine and it works.

Another alternative is to use conky (without X) via ssh. That works fine, however I have other issues with that solution. But that's for another thread.

Last edited by i92guboj on Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USE=hddtemp emerge gkrellm.

start /etc/init.d/hddtemp before gkrellmd or gkrellm depending on how you run it.

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:

start /etc/init.d/hddtemp before gkrellmd or gkrellm depending on how you run it.

cheers

That's not the problem As I said, it works, and works well. The problem is that it monitors the local disks, and what I what to monitor are the remote ones. Maybe there's some obscure way to configure the local hddtemp daemon to report the values of the remote hddtemp daemon. But I don't hold my breathe for it hehe.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i92guboj wrote:
bunder wrote:

cheers

That's not the problem As I said, it works, and works well. The problem is that it monitors the local disks, and what I what to monitor are the remote ones. Maybe there's some obscure way to configure the local hddtemp daemon to report the values of the remote hddtemp daemon. But I don't hold my breathe for it hehe.

no, mine work remotely as well. on my inspiron, via a x forwarded ssh session, i run 7 gkrellms, connecting to the many boxes on my network. they all have hddtemp running, and gkrellmd. on the client, if you start the server daemons in the correct order, you should see a hddtemp entry in the sensors list when you start gkrellm.

edit: image added

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew! That's it hehe.

Sorry. I never saw that thing. I was looking into the plugins section, however it seems that after all gkrellm does have native support for hddtemp and I can now monitor my remote drives without a problem. Case solved.

Many thanks :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: