Help with sabznbd install please? [SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ducklord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Help with sabznbd install please? [SOLVED] Reply with quote

Howdy,

I would like, if anyone would be so kind, some help with the installation of SABnzbd. I already searched the forums, and other sites, but I cannot make heads or tails of whatever info I find since I don't know that much about linux.

I downloaded the source file (sabnzbd-0.4.2-src.tar.gz) from the site but it asked for an updated version of python. I emerge-synced and emerged a new version of python and now it asks for some kind of cheetah module. The posts I found here mention "using a custom ebuild", but don't give any links to any files.

What should I do? Can somebody please explain the whole procedure of the instalation in (simple) steps?
Thanks in advance

Last edited by ducklord on Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reason for not using hellanzb (which is in portage) instead?
ducklord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I -am- using Hellanzb and it's great :D, but SABnzbd offers more features and some of them would be really useful to me - like bandwidth control. I know that hellanzb includes it, but it simply doesn't seem to work for me - when I limit the bandwidth, downloading stops, just like if I'd hit pause.
Apart from that, it supports categories so it would be able to move the files it downloads to specific folders, something that with hellanzb I managed to do with some cron scripts and in a quite restricting manner (I name the start of the downloaded files according to what they are and "mv" them to different folders). RSS support for some TV shows would be quite nice as well - something that for now I do through Democracy Player on my WinXP pc...

So, the answer in short is yeah, I use Hellanzb and it almost does what I want, but SABnzbd does exactly what I wanted from the start from hellanzb and so I'd like to, at least, try it.
Anyway, thanks for the answer.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me offers ebuild in exchange to newzbin invitation. LOL.
No, there is one already: https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=132590

This client indeed has cool features missing in hellanzb. Gonna take a look at it too.
ducklord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, well! Thanks a lot for that but... err... I'm lost again...
I tried to follow the instructions on how to use 3rd party ebuilds. So, I added an overlay path in my make.conf, I created the dir (/usr/local/portage), I created two new nested directoris inside that (net-nttp/sabnzbd) and I saved the files from the ebuild page you gave me there.

So far, so good.
After meeting some errors, as a total newb that I am, I did a filecheck for "additional files" as mentioned in the 3rd party ebuild guide. Thus, I moved 4 out of the 5 files I had downloaded for sabnzbd in a new subdirectory named files, inside /usr/local/portage/net-nntp/subnzbd.

So far, so good... again... No worries...
I do an ebuild blablablah directory/blablasabnzbd.ebuild digest and I meet this:

* ERROR: net-nntp/sabnzbd-0.4.2 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 1590: Called source '/usr/portage/net-nntp/sabnzbd/sabnzbd-0.4.2.ebuild'
'* sabnzbd-0.4.2.ebuild, line 5: Called inherit 'distutils
* ebuild.sh, line 1312: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* QA Notice: 'sed' called in global scope: eclass distutils
* QA Notice: 'sed' called in global scope: eclass distutils
* [ ! -e "$location" ] && die "${1}.eclass could not be found by inherit()"
* The die message:
.eclass could not be found by inherit()
* If you need support, post the topmost build error, and the call stack if relevant.

...Any ideas? Yeah, I know, it's something totally obvious that anyone should know but... Help, please?
Thanks again for everything.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you copy&paste the ebuild? Try fetching it with wget.
This looks strange:
Code:
.eclass could not be found by inherit()

ducklord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emm... I did!?! Just like the ebuild guide mentioned - hadn't noticed it earlier. I deleted everything in the dir and just did a:

wget -O URL path-to-save

...followed by:

ebuild ebuildName.ebuild digest

Nada. Same thing. Ofcourse, my system maybe totally messed up since I installed it before (brace yourself) almost 3 years, as I haven't updated it. I only use it as a fileserver and "download box", so I don't pay much attention to it. Until now, that is...
Thanks for trying to help though.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, the ebuild got posted in DOS format. So you'll have to run dos2unix over the ebuild and files.

Here is a fixed one:
http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/gimpel/net-nntp/sabnzbd/
and yenc
http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/gimpel/dev-python/yenc/

You can also svn co above URLs.
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
LOL, the ebuild got posted in DOS format.

Wow, that's so... fail.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yngwin wrote:
gimpel wrote:
LOL, the ebuild got posted in DOS format.

Wow, that's so... fail.

Indeed.

Posted a cleaned ebuild on b.g.o.
ducklord
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys (and gals?) thanks, without your help I wouldn't have managed to install it.
It didn't work for me even with the latest ebuild you gave me though - it kept asking for some files. Here's the thing...

I "ebuild XX digest"'ed the ebuild you gave, added the needed masked files to package.mask (after a lot of... reading and sweating), emerged it and everything seemed to be alright. I hadn't payed much attention to the screen though, so the possibility of a problem arising and... going (through the top of the screen) is pretty high. I typed sabnzbd and nothing happened. Noob here, remember? Tried typing sabnzbd.py and nothing happened again. In a spark of creativity I opened the ebuild and started reading - there should be "something" there, a path or something, that even a noob like me would be able to find.

I found some paths.
I searched for any files related to sabnzbd.
Nada
Nothing
Zero

I re-emerged the ebuild and a heckuvalot of errors regarding missing files came up. I realised that those where the files that were supposed to be in the "files" subdir in the ebuilds directory. Sooo...
I visited the link that was previously mentioned, https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=132590, from where I found some of the missing files. I couldn't wget'em (probably because, as previously stated, I'm-A-Noob), so in a second spark of creativity I decided to create'em. Heck, Linux (and Gentoo) is supposed to be about having every command at your fingertips, "being one with the source" (or something). So, I simply NANO'd the filenames and copy-pasted the contentes. Here it was: compiled as it should.

Didn't create the configs though. Here I was again...

I manually created one config file (/etc/conf.d/sabnzbd) and pasted the contents of the similar file found in https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=132590. I repeated the process with /etc/sabnzbd.conf and met errors, so I deleted it. Well... It started as a daemon, but I couldn't access the web interface from my 2nd PC. I ZAP'd it (couldn't stop) with /etc/init.d/sabnzbd zap.

I ran GDM and entered KDE (big story, forget about it - had messed up my KDE with my Gnome some years before. I could possibly be the first on the planet with compiz functionality even before the project was created, due to graphic problems with my Voodoo 3500)... Ran it from init.d again, couldn't access the web interface again, ZAP'd it again.
Anyways, from there I opened a bash and typed SABnzbd.py (since it wanted to start the browser to display some options). The interface tried to display but some errors appeared - don't remember what exactly, I was too tired and terified of all those bad-bad errors that tried to oppress me. Bad errors... SOME of them, though, mentioned something about "Default". I remembered I'd seen that as a "Default theme". A-ha. I downloaded a different version of sabnzbd in a tar file. Unpacked it through WinXP on my 2nd pc and there where the themes. I put'em in a samba share, CP'd them to /home/<username>/.sabnzbd/ and re-ran SABnzbd.py. Ooh-lala: firefox ran (twice) and its interface appeared on my Gentoobox screen. I entered the programs config, changed the IP and port where it was supposed to listen, stopped (or killed, or shot, don't remember) the process and re-ran SABnzbd.py from bash.

Yeyeah! I could access it from my 2nd pc!
I ended the process, re-ran it as root from init.d in a "screen" through Putty, disconnected from the "screen", ended Putty and now I'm a happy owner of sabnzbd.

I know that I'm probably too unlucky, something in Greece we call "gademis" (which means... err... "too unlucky"), and that mixed with my noobishness as far as linux goes multiplied the problems.
I hope though that if someday someone finds himself in my shoes, this may be of help to him.

Best regards and thanks for everything
Ducklord

P.S.: Sorry for any possible mistakes or misuse of English during this thread or any other message of mine - as I happen to be Greek and have but a basic grasp of English.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: